Why become a member? ×

What's in a 'Precision' name?

Boodang

Talking of the ubiquitous Fender Precision bass in another thread here has reminded me of something I read ages ago but can't find again and thus makes me think I'm making this up.. so any clarification gratefully received!

It goes like this; in an interview with Leo he states that the Precision name came less from the frets and more from the fact the scale length was carefully chosen to give a precise tone where unlike an upright the overtones did not overwhelm the fundamental note. 

So in his experiments they were after the longest scale length where this would be the case and thus ended up at 34" and the precise tone they were after.

Plenty of mention in the history books about scale length experiments but not about the reasons for it and the precise tone. Did I dream this!!

• Like 1

Aha, well some clarification in the 'five watt world' YouTube history of the P bass; the name purportedly comes from a combination of the frets, the precise tone from the scale length, and the precise way in which they were machine made.

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Outside, right now! No one is allowed to say that about Saint Leo 

Wouldn't the very existence of the '57 Precision, the Jazz bass, Music Man and G&L be proof that even Leo thought that Leo didn't get it right first time?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

Wouldn't the very existence of the '57 Precision, the Jazz bass, Music Man and G&L be proof that even Leo thought that Leo didn't get it right first time?

No, they were just different kinds of “contemporary perfect”. 

should have used some emotes …doh …

18 hours ago, Muzz said:

It's all in the anagram: Fender Precision = Reinforced Penis.

That is literally amazing and might well be one of the top five things I have ever read.

Congratulations on winning The Internet - just be careful what you do with it.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

That is literally amazing and might well be one of the top five things I have ever read.

Congratulations on winning The Internet - just be careful what you do with it.

Yeah, hold it really carefully and with reverence, like this:

CVxZ8hxWUAAwmaA.jpg