Why become a member? ×

Pure Nickel Roundwounds

Guest BassAdder27

43 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm about to try the 7150 45-105 on my BB, as I like the nickel-plated steel 7250 on my P

I fancy trying to find something with a nice mellow but full tone for the BB .... but still have that nice hexcore stiffness.

Would the 7150s feel as stiff as the 7250s?

I’m not sure however they have higher tension I believe than some.

I dropped down to 80/100 instead of 85/105 in the usual 45-105 sets.

I also play in Eb tuning so any floppiness would show up, it didn’t they felt great and no change to truss rod needed etc 

Good price to at circa £18 a pack 

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/12/2021 at 13:00, BassAdder27 said:

I’m not sure however they have higher tension I believe than some.

I dropped down to 80/100 instead of 85/105 in the usual 45-105 sets.

I also play in Eb tuning so any floppiness would show up, it didn’t they felt great and no change to truss rod needed etc 

Good price to at circa £18 a pack 

I've now got a pack of 7150. Can't decide whether to try them on my BB (PJ, rosewood fb) or my Squier P (Dimarzio Model P, maple)

The Squier currently has a set of 7250, so I would get a nice clear comparison of the two .... but would all-nickel and the Dimarzio cancelled each other out?

Never had all-nickel before, so am feeling a bit clueless :search:

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2021 at 18:14, Ricky Rioli said:

The Squier currently has a set of 7250, so I would get a nice clear comparison of the two .... but would all-nickel and the Dimarzio cancelled each other out?

The all-nickel 7150s have indeed successfully cut the knackers off my P 😳 They will be replaced very soon.

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

The all-nickel 7150s have indeed successfully cut the knackers off my P 😳 They will be replaced very soon.

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

By the way, this 45-105 set of 7150M sounded a lot more characterful when I momentarily tuned them to Eb Standard. I might give that another go before I entirely give up on them. As said earlier in this thread, no floppiness at all when tuned down — at E Standard they are very tumescent 

And off they've come already, a fresh set of 7250M have replaced them.

Ahhhhh that's better :) 

I knew it would be an experiment, and I knew within 5 minutes they weren't for me.

Good clear low notes on the E string, btw, a bit better clarity than on the 7250's .105

As a teenager in the late-nineties I went up to Denmark Street with a grand intention of playing a Rickenbacker through a valve amp. Confronted by the frostiness of late-nineties Denmark Street hospitality, I lacked the balls to go through with my plan and ended up doing a quick circuit of the shop and pointing to the first set of strings I saw behind the counter before leaving with a mixed sense of shame and relief. A tale as old as time.

Of course the strings in question were Fender Original Bass 7150s and this started a lasting romance. It helped that for a young bassist, the smoothness of the nickel, compared to the scouring nature of the steel roundwounds that was all my local shop would carry (Rotos in the orange packet). This made playing so much easier. I loved the initial zing, gradually developing into a mellow thump and less obnoxious than the clang of steel roundwound. Santa got me a set of 7250s once and that ruined the dream of Christmas for me. 

Over the years I have put flats and steel roundwounds on various basses, even those weird black nylon things, but the bass I have always picked up the most and gigged the most has carried Fender pure nickels because it has the best compromise between steel roundwound and flatwound. The only downside is that the sweet-spot does not last long and I am too lazy to change them as often as I should.

Also they changed from a gold sil wrap to no wrapping at some point. I muched prefered the silk wrapped version, both aesethically and tonally.

• Like 1

On 31/12/2021 at 10:35, Alfie said:

the bass I have always picked up the most and gigged the most has carried Fender pure nickels because it has the best compromise between steel roundwound and flatwound

I think my mistake was that I hadn't appreciated this fact - I knew the nickel core would give a more mellow mids-warm tone, but I thought it still being a hexcore would have qualities I've liked in other roundwounds. I now have had my lesson, and know that they come specifically from the steel core.

When I next change the strings on my BB, I will pop the 7150s on it briefly, as I'm curious to see how much they counter the scoop produced by having both pickups on at once. Do the 7150s sound particularly good on a Jazz? 

• 3 weeks later...