Why become a member? ×

5 sting advice

plaaty

Hi All,

My stagg 5 sting is being retired with a twisted neck so I'm looking to upgrade it a bit, there are a couple of basses I've seen that look good in my price range, but none are local to me so I can't try one.

Cort Arona 5

Cort B5 Element

ESP Ltd F255

If anyone has any thoughts on these it would be great.

I'm a novice player and am only practising at home at the moment, but would like a bass that is versatile enough to gig with when the time comes.

Thanks in advance.

Giles

I can't tell you anything about these basses.  Speaking as someone who is geographically remote from guitar shops which carry a decent amount of basses, I have tended to gather as much info as I can - YouTube videos, any press reviews these instruments may have had, in addition to opinions here then gone for the one I like the look of best.  Order online - with distance selling regs you can try it out in the comfort of your own home and don't feel bad about invoking those rights to return the bass if it's not for you.  If your situation is anything like mine, it'll cost you about the same to courier it back to the vendor as it would to travel somewhere which has the instrument you're looking for, and a lot less time.

Just remember not to rip things open in your excitement - you'll need that packaging to send it back if it doesn't work out, so take your time ;)

Find a decent 5 string in the 'for sale' section and save yourself a good few hundred quid!

Looking at those basses you mention I'm guessing your budget is circa £500, that will get you a great second hand 5 string and at a price where you won't loose hundreds should you want to sell or trade it later! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Find a decent 5 string in the 'for sale' section and save yourself a good few hundred quid!

Looking at those basses you mention I'm guessing your budget is circa £500, that will get you a great second hand 5 string and at a price where you won't loose hundreds should you want to sell or trade it later! 

Totally this.  Secondhand is the way.

If you are happy with how the Stagg felt and played I would suggest getting out a ruler and measuring the width of the neck and the string spacing at the bridge so that you can find a similar bass to move on to.  For me, at least, these dimensions make the difference between a 5er feeling comfy to play or not.

And with that said, if the specs and weight are to your liking, I would heartily recommend any of the Yamaha 5ers as being fabulous value for money.  Even the cheap models have good string B strings.

4 minutes ago, lownote said:

There is currently a Cort B5 on sale here in Glasgow but he's willing to post.  Likely to be around £380  posted.  That's if I don't buy it first :)

£399 brand new and posted at GG at the mo! 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/201116363990025--cort-artisan-b5-plus-as-rm-open-pore-burgundy-red?gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2HMHALMF8FQH64JMbH-l0dHrSRigELi5eX1AGrwLF4wpTHnM8EobpYaAikJEALw_wcB

• Like 1

About 17 years ago I bought a Cort C5 as my first 5 string.

The Cort had very tight string spacing, as though they had tried to fit all 5 strings on a 4 string neck.   My then 4 string I had played for years was a Squier JV Jazz 

I thought that would help me but my fat fingers kept tripping up going between the strings.   It wasn't till I got a Squier with cricket bat sized neck but similar 19mm spacing to my Jazz that I felt my 5 string playing took off.

I'm not saying it would be the same for you so if I was to give any advice I would say to try and find something with similar spacing to what you are used to and a width of neck you think you will be comfortable with. 

I just want to add that the Cort was a lovely guitar - it just didn't work out for me.

Just now, WinterMute said:

If you can find one, the OLP Tony Levin signature SR5 is an absolute bargain, proper well-built 5 string.

I stuck a Bartolini in the one I had, but the original pup isn't bad at all.

There's an orange one for sale in the 'for sale' section with hard case for £300. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

There's an orange one for sale in the 'for sale' section with hard case for £300. 

Blimey, that's service for you...

I think the Maple topped ones are nicer, but that's a lot of bass for £300 if you like the MM neck.

Yep, spend some time measuring and researching what is similar in measurements (nut width, neck dimensions, body style etc) if you want somewhere near similar to what you have currently. Likewise on pickup placement. If you’re a finger style player and anchor your thumb on the top of the pickup, changing the pickup layout on your next bass will require a little readjustment on your part. Not a deal breaker but worth mentioning for a new or newish player.

Also +1 for used. The OLP Levin mentioned above that’s available in the classifieds would be a good option. As would the 5 string MusicMan SUB in the classifieds. Both in the £300-£500 category and both a hell of a lot of bass for the money. While you haven’t got the distance selling option on used gear, you’ll likely not lose out on those examples financially at least should you decide to then move it on either…

@plaaty - if you don't mind a few battle scars, then the USA Music Man Sub 5 in the for sale section is a good shout, you're basically getting a full USA built proper Music Man Stingray 5 with a slab body for less than £500. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/457732-musicman-sub-usa-5-string/

Edited by binky_bass

25 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

My advice would be, if you've already been stung 4 times. You should probably move. 

I just spent a good 5 minutes trying to work out what the hell you meant! 

Safe to say, I get it now! 😂

And might I add...

1638521821074.thumb.png.fab3ef34d470efbf896868962593b9a4.png

Edited by binky_bass
  • Haha 3

So, in the classifieds we have the above-mentioned Music Man and OLP Tony Levins, someone saying they're selling a Yammy, and there's also a wooden-necked Status Graphite.

They are used and maybe have seen some action, but they all look good value.

• Like 1