Why become a member? ×

Flats - why do many rave about them

Guest BassAdder27

11 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

They are my go to strings these days, once they are played in they are even better 

I had the heavy gauge ones (0.052 - 0.110) but I couldn't get on with the tension on them. These feel much better and still sound great. I'm using a little bastard 30W and barefaced two10. The whole combination sounds amazing, really retro 60s sounding setup. Perfect for Beatles covers, Motown covers etc.     

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m well pleased, I got a reply from Sean Hurley when I asked about his strings , when he gets a new set of labella’s he uses Vaseline to coat the strings first to age them and to make them sound broken in , great tip 

I did read about the Vaseline thing and have sort of developed my own process.

I use palmers coconut hand cream daily after work and have started using it just before I pick up the bass. 
I give the whole length of the strings a rub down with the palms of my hands.

The new labella fl’s have started to thump a lot quicker than I thought they would I’m really enjoying playing them. 
I’d only used TI flats before and I still like them but there’s a certain something about the la bella 760fl I really am enjoying. 
Plus the bass smells fantastic when I take it from the case 🤣😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I have just fitted a set 0f .045 - .105 GHS Precision Flats to a US Standard Precision, not tried these strings before so will be interested to hear them once I've finished setting the bass up.

I use the 105 E set

Got some last year as emergency back up given New Zealand susceptibility to freight crisis 

Very impressed bought a couple more sets. 

Not as tight or old as LaBellas 

Not as bright as Chromes

A nice variation of a theme. 

Good balance string to string. Smooth without being dull. 

I’m using on a Fretless Jazz

9 hours ago, Bagman said:

I use the 105 E set

Got some last year as emergency back up given New Zealand susceptibility to freight crisis 

Very impressed bought a couple more sets. 

Not as tight or old as LaBellas 

Not as bright as Chromes

A nice variation of a theme. 

Good balance string to string. Smooth without being dull. 

I’m using on a Fretless Jazz

I have a rehearsal this afternoon and will take the Precision with the GHS flats on (and a spare, in case the sound doesn't fit the band). 

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I love the GHS. To me they’re interchangeable with the La Bella 760FLs, with maybe a little more going on in the upper mids.

Well, that makes me even more eager to try them this afternoon - the spare I will be taking is a similar Precision with 760FLs so it will be easy to compare the two.

Well, I took both basses to the rehearsal but the old faithful 2012 US Precision stayed in its case - the sunburst 2010 with GHS flats sounded just perfect, even though it was only going through a TE Elf and Super Compact. I will try a back to back comparison with the 2012 US Standard that has LaBella 760 FLs on, but both sound wonderful.

• Like 5

• 3 months later...
On 19/06/2022 at 19:46, FinnDave said:

Well, I took both basses to the rehearsal but the old faithful 2012 US Precision stayed in its case - the sunburst 2010 with GHS flats sounded just perfect, even though it was only going through a TE Elf and Super Compact. I will try a back to back comparison with the 2012 US Standard that has LaBella 760 FLs on, but both sound wonderful.

Howdy sir, just bought a US Standard 2013 (awaiting NBD) and usually had been either La Bellas or TI flats but after seeing so many good reviews for GHS Precision flats - i've just bought some from Stringsdirect - Did you find them sticky - in rehearsal never do but have done when gigging  - also how do you find the tension compared to your Standard with 760FLs on?

Well, that was good timing as I just finished running through the set list for Saturday afternoon and was playing my US standard Precision with the GHS flats on. The only flats I find sticky are Chromes, which is why I switched to LaBella. I bought the GHS as an experiment, and so far they have been just fine, though little more top than the 760FLs.

The XLs are a couple of years old at least, whereas the GHS have only been on the bass a few months. I rarely play at home (there were a few songs on the list for Saturday I haven'y played for some time, so just had a quick catch up). 

It's hard to compare the strings due to their different ages, and I am not good at determining tension - but to my fingers, the 760s and the GHS feel very similar.

Hope this helps. Both are good strings, you can't go far wrong with either if you prefer the sound of flats.

On 17/06/2022 at 10:23, Reggaebass said:

I’m well pleased, I got a reply from Sean Hurley when I asked about his strings , when he gets a new set of labella’s he uses Vaseline to coat the strings first to age them and to make them sound broken in , great tip 

If chicken fat was good enough for Jaco...

😜

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...