Why become a member? ×

Small cab/combo with BIG sound?

Powerchord Pete

I've been running a Behringer 4500BX through a Carvin 1x15 cabinet for years.  Sounds fine but it is a heavy old beast! I know bass amp heads are getting super small these days but what about cabs? Is there anything out there that will produce the same kind of full bodied earth shaking racket that won't hurt the wallet or my back? A combo of some sort would be just as welcome. Friends have mentioned Fender Rumble or Orange Crush but will they have enough room filling capacity? Or will I have to just brace myself and keep on bending my knees?!!!!!!💪

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Where have you been for the last 10 years? Checkout Barefaced cabs. Look for them in the Classifieds.

1 hour ago, barkin said:

Used gen1 Barefaced Compact. 11kg. Job done.

For Earth shaking racket in a light 1x15 this would be my suggestion.

• Like 1

There's an AER Basic Performer in the Amps for Sale section at a very nice price. These are even better than the Amp One, Two or Three. Weight is 23 kilos for 240 Watts and it's really really powerful. I own one as well as an AER BassCube.

• Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 17:57, chris_b said:

Where have you been for the last 10 years? Checkout Barefaced cabs. Look for them in the Classifieds.

Playing my current rig! Not had any need (until recently) to know about other stuff. However, I have come across Barefaced gear and I seem to recall it was on the expensive side. I'll check again though. 

Another +1 for the Fender Rumble V3 range of combos. I have the 100 watt 1x12 and it’s fantastic - weighs next to nothing, great tone and loud as hell. Ideal for rehearsals and small gigs. The 200 and the 500 models really are gig worthy combos too, and can be picked up s/h for fair prices. All the above have DI outputs, and the latter two have extension speaker sockets to add another cab for maximum spread, but honestly don’t think you’d need to use one.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2021 at 12:31, Supernaut said:

MarkBass CMD121P. 1x12 combo that puts out 300w, 500w with extension cabinet. 12kg! 

Had mine for a couple of years and very happy with it. 

Had mine a few years now and even without the extension cab there's plenty of volume to compete with a live drummer.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2021 at 22:37, ChrisJaxon said:

I use the much-praised Rumble 500 v3 for larger gigs, and an Elf + Barefaced 110 for smaller ones. Every possibility is covered, as I can also use the 110 as an extension for the Rumble. Great tones from both setups. Highly recommended!

Can I hijack this thread with a question please. The Rumble 500 gets a good shout. Is this amp as useable as say the old trace Elliott combos

44 minutes ago, Skinny said:

Can I hijack this thread with a question please. The Rumble 500 gets a good shout. Is this amp as useable as say the old trace Elliott combos

I would say ‘yes’ . The Rumble 500 is 350 watts into it’s own 2x10 speakers and is great IMHO. Also a loud combo for its size/ weight. I know TE watts are also loud, but don’t think you’d be disappointed - if you did need extra clout you could also add a matching 2x10 cab to release the full 500 watts into 4ohms.