Why become a member? ×

How many basses are too many?

jd56hawk

Well. My missus has given me heads up to commission a new bass.

I have 3 basses for 2 bands, so a very conservative 1.5 per band.... I will see that becoming 2 per band as I advised in my post (main and backup). 

It definitely feels like gluttony, but f*ck it, it'll be ready by my 35th birthday. I deserve this on all the miles I do on the car alone lol!

Best,

Ander.

PS: easy question, want to guess what I'm plotting?

• Like 3

45 ish over 10 years.  Most expensive single cut Ibo around £600, cheapest £20 P bass clone. Nicest to play:  MiM Fender P bass / Peavey Grind 5.  Most examples had: Sire / Hohner B Bass VI.  Best workhorse/ value:  Revelation P bass clone unlined fretless £150 s/hand,  Harvey Benton Jazz clone £138 new.  

Edited by lownote

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Let me guess, could it be something along the lines of a PJ limelight 🤔😁

4A61CDCE-2BF8-44DD-ABF9-2FF6728CC88C.jpeg

Haha! did you know that was my exact first Limelight?

I've done a heckuvalot of digging into the J/MM dilemma - installed a series/parallel circuit and a tone switch allowing me to do bypass / 22pf / 100pf and..... voila!!! I do not think I need to do any mods - the series push pull is very convincing for the times I want to do jazzy stuffs or slap on that kind of EQ.

.... I will confess it is a jazz necked P.... I've the dirty pickup, the modern and punchy, the 57 vintage.... I am missing one bass to load in the NP4 (62 inspired) and finish off my wall of P's :D 

The inspiration... 

Odds is I'll for for a cream/parchment pickguard or a gold anodised at some point - I do have my charcoal and the oly white ones in tort after all....!

Ander.

• Like 2

Not sure there is such a thing as too many is there? If you’ve got the money and enough room for dozens or hundreds of basses, then why not? No harm in hoarding them, surely?

I got up to 5 or 6 at one point which was waaaaay more than enough for me, and now I’m down to one. But I would like to have another one. 

• Like 1

This is too many, for me at least. So one of them is going and another is up for sale. Logic: the five string fretless was an 18th birthday present and it's priceless to me but probably wouldn't fetch £200 on eBay, if I was recording something it's the bass I'd grab. The Stingray is number 1 for my new band, though I want to try the Jack Casady. The JC is great for practice without having to amp up and it sounds fantastic. The bitsa PJ sounds phenomenal in the right situation but I recently put it up for sale, there's no sentiment there. The headless has gone now, it was great but I'm not in an 80s band anymore and I don't have a Trace Elliot to play it through. 

Still feel I'm lacking a jazz bass though! 

IMG_20211208_120624.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I started collecting instruments around 12 years ago. I was in a secure position, kids grown up and gone etc, so dabbled. 

I made a few bob buying and selling, lost a few bob as fashions ebb and flow, so just bought stuff that appeals to me.

I started as a bassist back in the 1980's and have still got my '84 4003 in Blue which is not going anywhere.

I faffed about with guitars for some years though, and have acquired a few including a Flying V, Les Paul Classic, and have recently sold my PRS Tremonti. There's a couple of PRS SE Models in the mix too....a limited Bernie Marsden ( the first run, it's number 5  of only 25 with all the case candy, signed lyric sheet to "Here I go Again", the numbered truss rod cover and an autogrpahed autobiography....I met the man at an open evening at Sound Affects in Ormskirk a few years ago and got to jam with him for an hour...cool!) and a superb Torero which is a shred machine with real EMG's and a proper Floyd Rose.

The bass collection grew to include a tobacco sunburst 2015 Music Man Sting Ray 4 with rosewood fingerboard that I traded another Les Paul against, which is the bass I play the most.

Also in the collection:

Yamaha BX-1 Headless from the 80's

1989 Vigier Passion 2 ( or is t a 4? Can never remember) that requires completing back to near standard

A 2005 Status Smartbass with graphite neck ( Body has seen some bar fights! but the neck is awesome)

A Warwick German made 2005 Double Buck in Ovangkol (?)

And a Korean made Epiphone Thunderbird