Why become a member? ×

How many basses are too many?

jd56hawk

I agree with the principles in the last two posts @SumOne, it is a valid point genuinely.

5 minutes ago, SumOne said:

[Thunberg] might say people should consider the enviromnment a bit in their consumer decisions though, and perhaps that it should be a consideration when looking to get that 20th Bass to sit on your wall - partly for the environment and partly due to changing attitudes about over-consumption.  

This is what 'sensible Thunberg' would say, yes... but, very personal appreciation is herself or sensationalistic media would be Thunberg going potty and saying:

6 minutes ago, SumOne said:

people shouldn't get a second hand Bass because of the environment

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SumOne said:

I'm saying these things for arguments sake and don't fully sign-up to that thinking, but I do think times and attitudes are changing. It's probably quite telling that the average age on Basschat seems to be 50's + , I imagine if this was a forum with teenagers on it a lot more would be agreeing with my comments.

I'm older than you, and agree with you.

No joke. . . . I actually do have 2 laundry baskets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I got my 8th bass Monday (which made it the 59th since 2002, I know this because i have a spreadsheet).

It's a Line 6 Variax, as such has 24 basses inside it. Am I going to suddenly sell all of my others ? Obviously not, but maybe 2.

• Like 1

As an environmentalist, the logical end-point of such discussions is that the planet would be better off if we were all dead.

One philosophical way to approach the issue is 'what number of basses maximises the well being of current and future generations' ?

This brings in things like the joy brought to you and others by owning basses and possibility that owning them stops you doing something more (or less) sustainable instead.

I suspect that if everybody had a creative hobby, like making music, the world would be a better place now and in the future.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Growing trees to make basses isn't the worst thing environmentally, by a long way, particularly if the forests are managed sustainably. Each wooden bass = carbon captured. If burnt, the same carbon is released back into the atmosphere. The electronics used are going to be "dirtier".

We've taken just a one-person return flight between us a family of four over the past 5 years and that was to visit a sick relative. That works for me in terms of thinking about the environment. I'd love to say the same about pontificating celebs flying to Extinction Rebellion events in their private jets. In my books, making musical instruments and music are some of Humanity's very best things. So I'm certainly not going to angst about getting another bass.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I'm older than you, and agree with you.

No joke. . . . I actually do have 2 laundry baskets.

Fancy. Are you known as '2 baskets'?

2 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Are you hoping that trying to foist your middle age middle class guilt on everyone else will somehow lessen yours? Because it won't. 

Too late, it already has! 

If the world population grows over the next 30 years at the same rate as the last 30 years, there will be circa 3bn more people on the planet. This is the unsustainable elephant in the room. Economising on laundry baskets or basses isn’t going to matter a jot. We’re all screwed. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Velarian said:

If the world population grows over the next 30 years at the same rate as the last 30 years, there will be circa 3bn more people on the planet. This is the unsustainable elephant in the room. Economising on laundry baskets or basses isn’t going to matter a jot. We’re all screwed. 

The point is that it's everything that needs to be considered - including things that seem insignificant like Laubndry Basksts and Basses, because it all adds up.

13 minutes ago, Velarian said:

there will be circa 3bn more people on the planet.

Won't some of them need basses???

If there are too many basses on the planet then surely there are even more (too many) guitars on the planet. If we need to moderate the amount of wooden instruments lets start with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yup.  Stick all the surplus wooden instruments in a pile and set fire to them.  That'll do it.

Edit, I feel I need to add that I said that for comic effect and don't believe anyone suggested it seriousy, even if they did, which they didn't but might have.

Edited by Paul S
  • Haha 1

An interesting side-note to today's diversion is that I suggested in a half-hearted and un-personalised way that as well as the 'er indoors and financial considerations already given to the 'How many Basses' question is that perhaps the environment should also be a consideration when thinking about how much un-necessary stuff (Basses or otherwise) is consumed, and the whole attitude to over-consumption and obtaining lots of unnecessary 'stuff' is a bit dated. It's unexpectedly given me a small glimpse into the world of Greta with a few of the responses being summarised as:

• Atack the messanger rather than the message:
    • Lighten up and take a joke.
    • Stop being a hypocrite, and stop putting your middle class guilt on me. 
  • Attack the message but not with facts - with fatalism and 'keep business as usual' to avoid making inconvenient changes:
    • I could stop buying certain things but what about the economy.
    • What I do doesn't count enough to consider changing my actions.
  • ...and of course plently of well-reasoned logical responses pointing out that amount of Basses you own shouldn't be very high on the list of priorities if you want to help the planet. (Which I agree with, it's mostly the principle of over-consumption that I'm debating, I'm debating really is that in a thread of 'how much unnecessary additional stuff should I own' perhaps people should at least consider the environmental impact as well as the impact from your wife's foot).
Edited by SumOne

47 minutes ago, SumOne said:

The point is that it's everything that needs to be considered - including things that seem insignificant like Laubndry Basksts and Basses, because it all adds up.

What about internet usage? Every comment (like this one) uses resources.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

What about internet usage? Every comment (like this one) uses resources.

Yep. It should be considered to a certain extent. But that's a falacious argument. The question I'm putting forward is: Does owning lots of basses damage the environment and should it be a consideration in how many basses you chose to own?  Saying  'other things damage the environment too' or 'you damage the environment too' doesn't answer that question.

Edited by SumOne

55 minutes ago, SumOne said:

An interesting side-note to today's diversion is that I suggested in a half-hearted and un-personalised way that as well as the 'er indoors and financial considerations already given to the 'How many Basses' question is that perhaps the environment should also be a consideration when thinking about how much un-necessary stuff (Basses or otherwise) is consumed, and the whole attitude to over-consumption and obtaining lots of unnecessary 'stuff' is a bit dated. It's unexpectedly given me a small glimpse into the world of Greta with a few of the responses being summarised as:

• Atack the messanger rather than the message:
    • Lighten up and take a joke.
    • Stop being a hypocrite, and stop putting your middle class guilt on me. 
  • Attack the message but not with facts - with fatalism and 'keep business as usual' to avoid making inconvenient changes:
    • I could stop buying certain things but what about the economy.
    • What I do doesn't count enough to consider changing my actions.
  • ...and of course plently of well-reasoned logical responses pointing out that amount of Basses you own shouldn't be very high on the list of priorities if you want to help the planet. (Which I agree with, it's mostly the principle of over-consumption that I'm debating, I'm debating really is that in a thread of 'how much unnecessary additional stuff should I own' perhaps people should at least consider the environmental impact as well as the impact from your wife's foot).

I think in your original post you actually raised some very valid questions in fairness. Though, also in fairness, to liken yourself to Greta Thunberg in whatever small way for the some of the responses to your post when you literally said in your opening post that it was “for the sake of argument” is maybe a tad OTT.

Regardless, as an extension to those valid points, to make the vast majority of these basses work to their full potential we need electricity. It’s all worthy of consideration, and being mindful of, but it’s a never ending rabbit hole too I guess.

• Like 1

If the UK (alone) spent the same amount on funding fusion research as we've done on the ridiculously wasteful track and trace (£37 BILLION) and the much more useful furlough (£73 BILLION), then the whole ruddy issue disappears as we'll have pretty limitless clean energy, and can then focus on locking in with the kick drum instead.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

I think in your original post you actually raised some very valid questions in fairness. Though, also in fairness, to liken yourself to Greta Thunberg in whatever small way for the some of the responses to your post when you literally said in your opening post that it was “for the sake of argument” is maybe a tad OTT.

I suppose half heartedly posting on Basschat for the sake of argument isn't quite on the same level of sailing to America to talk at the UN and dedicating my life to it.....not far off though! 

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

Yep. It should be considered to a certain extent. But that's a falacious argument. The question I'm putting forward is: Does owning lots of basses damage the environment and should it be a consideration in how many basses you chose to own?  Saying  'other things damage the environment too' or 'you damage the environment too' doesn't answer that question.

Perhaps, but a consequence of having many basses is defending that position. Nothing happens in isolation.

Excuse me while I strangle the cat (not because it consumes too many resources, although the environmental impact of cat litter is a big worry to me) but because she refuses to stop crying to come in the room then crying to get out again.

• Haha 1

On 29/11/2021 at 07:16, Merton said:

Well the correct number of basses is n+1, where n is the current number owned.

Therefore it stands to reason that n+2 is too many.

🤓

On 29/11/2021 at 09:00, ead said:

So the absolute key test is now:  Is S-1>n+1, could also be expressed as is S>n+2

I think a Nobel prize is due...

• Thanks 2