Why become a member? ×

How many basses are too many?

jd56hawk

3 hours ago, ead said:

So the absolute key test is now:  Is S-1>n+1, could also be expressed as is S>n+2

I just had a flashback to my O level maths classes at school, and the teacher who had breath so bad it probably contravened several articles of the Geneva Convention. 

• Haha 2

Hm...! I have 3 - I could have more, but whenever I've had more than 3 instruments at home (and even 3) I end up playing just 2...

Now that I'm in 2 bands I do use all 3.

1. Bass for punk rock band with priority to dirty sound

2. Bass for neosoul band with priority to clean and punchy sound

3. Vintage motown bass with flats that can jump as backup to either if emergency after some tweaking

I used to have basses completely different depending on the project, but that only damages my bank cause I would still feel like I need a backup to each of those for every project (ie a Stingray 5 and another 5 'just in case', plus the 4 string for punk with a backup to it etc).

Now that I have all 3 P basses, with hipshot detuners for #1 and #2, any of my three basses can effectively do a gig on either band.

I guess the ration is 1.5 (my case) or 2 basses per band (main and backup) makes sense.

But ultimately, whatever that rocks your boat that you can afford without struggling to pay bills or enjoy everything else life has to offer...!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rich said:

I just had a flashback to my O level maths classes at school, and the teacher who had breath so bad it probably contravened several articles of the Geneva Convention. 

My sincere apologies :(

• Haha 3

- fretted 5 (Genesis, 35", 19 mm)

- fretless 4 (custom, 36", 19 mm)

- fretted 4 (Passion II, 33.8", 19 mm)

- fretless 5 (Affirma, 34", 19 mm)

- eub (Clevinger)

Some others are lurking from the closet. These are played the most in this order.

I think I should find my camera, because this thread is...

• Like 2

I have 3 basses - my homebuilt 5 string, an older homebuilt 4 string that's fretless these days, and my double bass. The fretless gets very little use, the double bass and the 5 string are the ones I actually play.

I could imagine adding about two more; I could use a little rootsy sounding short scale for certain casual jams and sofa use, and another 5 so that I could have one with rounds on.

3 hours ago, EJWW said:

Always fancied trying a Reverend bass....

I seem to remember that you were going to use the silver Squier Jazz as a 'beater' bass or am I thinking of someone else?

I'm still in awe of the Thundergun. That such a quality bass can remain relatively unknown, especially in today's world of internet communication, is somewhat hard to believe.

As for the Squier, not exactly a beater bass, just a bit of a joke calling it that.

There's no need for these self flagellation threads, you know...

Too many basses might be 1, but it might also be infinite. Sadly, if you are having to contemplate the fact that you might be approaching too many basses, then you've probably already exceeded the number. If you are content and don't see any need to ask the question, then you're well under it. 

I currently have 4, which sort of rest in two tiers. Tier 1:

- 1x Shuker Uberhorn Fretless 4

- 1x Fender CS '62 Jazz 

These two are the used/gigged/jammed with usuals. I even have two mono bags for them, two mono straps, blah blah. 

Then, I have a pair of 51 shape Precisions, both home assembled from body and neck blanks. 

- 1x Surf Green with a really whacky Oil City prototype Single Coil Ricky style 51P shape in it

- 1x Natural semi-hollow with an oddball split coil 51P shape in it

And I'm about to build a Medium Scale Jazz to add to the "Tier 2 home builds"

Certainly no where near enough yet. I might start up a Tier 3 set - which would be cheaper more oddball basses.. and Tier 1 needs an early 70's Precision to finish it off. 

Oooh! I love these Tiers @Bridgehouse - I'll try that with my wife next :D mind you she's very supportive and a musician herself so 'she gets it'... but to me the golden rule is making sure that anything else that is not bass/gear is taken care of. Admittedly more than once (still dragging some overdraft) I've made sacrifices on my normal day to day to go for a particular bass.....

... speaking of Tier 1 - would love to have this at some point, never owned a CS and a P bass with a jazz neck is the thing for me... I don't think I could get away with it for my 35th coming but maybe my 40th birthday...

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/basses/jazz-bass/limited-edition-p-j-bass-journeyman-relic-rosewood-fingerboard-aged-lake-placid-blue/

The Candy Apple Red is lovely too!

PS: Can't paste most pics as they exceed 57.something KB... Most pictures would? Is there an update I'm missing out on or just me?

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

Oooh! I love these Tiers @Bridgehouse - I'll try that with my wife next :D mind you she's very supportive and a musician herself so 'she gets it'... but to me the golden rule is making sure that anything else that is not bass/gear is taken care of. Admittedly more than once (still dragging some overdraft) I've made sacrifices on my normal day to day to go for a particular bass.....

... speaking of Tier 1 - would love to have this at some point, never owned a CS and a P bass with a jazz neck is the thing for me... I don't think I could get away with it for my 35th coming but maybe my 40th birthday...

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/basses/jazz-bass/limited-edition-p-j-bass-journeyman-relic-rosewood-fingerboard-aged-lake-placid-blue/

PS: Can't paste most pics as they exceed 57.something KB... Most pictures would? Is there an update I'm missing out on or just me?

I must admit, the neck on my CS Jazz is one of the best I've ever played. Dunno why, dunno how, but it's fabulous. I've played P-basses most of my bass playing but there's something about this Jazz neck. If the neck on that one you linked to is anything like mine then it'd be a keeper!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the encouragement ha! Tbh I doubt I can find this same bass in some years when I'm ready to gift myself something of this level, BUT I may have to ask a fender authorised dealer about a CS catalog and start to play around / plan that idea....

• Like 1

Just now, Ander87 said:

Thanks for the encouragement ha! Tbh I doubt I can find this same bass in some years when I'm ready to gift myself something of this level, BUT I may have to ask a fender authorised dealer about a CS catalog and start to play around / plan that idea....

Sometimes you just have to keep an eye out for "the one" I reckon... 

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is there any such thing, a few times I think I’ve found the one, then I see something else 😁

No, no there absolutely isn't at all.

However, keeping an eye out for "the one" usually results in the ownership (brief or longer term) of a large quantity of "candidates" 

My Shuker is the closest I've come to "the one" and that required the neck to catastrophically explode and require 12 months of fixing for it to get elevated to the dizzy heights of "closest to the one I've ever had"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Sometimes you just have to keep an eye out for "the one" I reckon... 

yep! But when we’re talking 4/5k the planning for the wallet will need to be there. I had a similar feeling for my charcoal limelight P (jazz neck) and even my technician told me it’s a peach worth keeping, so glad I pulled the overdraft there lol

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is there any such thing, a few times I think I’ve found the one, then I see something else 😁

I know eh? If I was to put the dough out on a 4/5k£ bass it’d be like a special situation, my studio bass or heirloom bass. From that angle, I’d not risk it and go for a classic like Fender CS. Overpriced or not, it’d always hold out value and attend to the classic roots of bass that are more atemporal than a cool headless active with fan frets (as cool as those could be…!)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ander87 said:

yep! But when we’re talking 4/5k the planning for the wallet will need to be there. I had a similar feeling for my charcoal limelight P (jazz neck) and even my technician told me it’s a peach worth keeping, so glad I pulled the overdraft there lol

I know eh? If I was to put the dough out on a 4/5k£ bass it’d be like a special situation, my studio bass or heirloom bass. From that angle, I’d not risk it and go for a classic like Fender CS. Overpriced or not, it’d always hold out value and attend to the classic roots of bass that are more atemporal than a cool headless active with fan frets (as cool as those could be…!)

I got my CS Jazz quite recently and certainly didn't pay that sort of amount for it! I reckon if you are savvy and look carefully you could get a really nice CS Precision for half that...

• Like 1

yup, likely - just looking at new prices for that jazz necked CS....! Seen some nice CS P's for about half in the 2K+ range but it'd be a full P neck most likely...

... I am genuinely sure they're worth it, but then in the middle of my man maths I'm tempted to hit Mark up at Limelight and go for my 4th bass from him ha! Ocean Turquoise with tort pickguard....

At ten (plus an acoustic, an EUB and a Telecaster guitar - but they don't really count, do they :) ) I have too many instruments, far more than I need, but I don't care. None is especially valuable.

Six of those ten are Precision bass flavoured one way or another.  I like Precision basses :)  Best and favourite is my Squier JV Precision.  Simply the nicest Precision bass I have handled - gorgeous and everything I want from a bass.  Next up would be the Antoria P bass with a '75 Fender pickup - not quite as nice as the JV but the neck is a whisker more comfy.  If I sat myself down and had a serious talk with myself I probably wouldn't need any of the others at all - just these two.

New kid on the block, I bought one of those new 50s style short scale Precisions from Retrovibe with the scaled down slab body and telecaster headstock, that has gone straight up the chart to number 3.  I thought my GAS was a thing of the past but David went and posted pictures of it on the forum and I was helpless 😍.  It has a really great tone - with just the gentlest of pushes it has a gnarly, gritty, saturated sound that is a great fit with my blues rock band - and is light as a feather.  Slim neck.

The other three Ps - Peavey Fury, Hondo/Encore 32" scale hybrid bitsa, Harley Benton PB Shorty.  All have their place, all get used.

2 are Gibson flavoured.  I love the idea of short scale Gibsons.  I have one of those fab Les Paul Jnr DC re-issues that really is a lovely thing.  I also have an Antoria EB-3 short scale with Artec Pickups that is different but also fab.  But sadly their one and only crime is that they aren't Precisions and so mostly sit it out on the bench.  The Gibson, in particular, is in imminent danger of being moved on.

Then one 5 string (Peavey Foundation 5) and a modded Hondo Alien for those confined space, back-up moments.

[/ramble]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

New kid on the block, I bought one of those new 50s style short scale Precisions from Retrovibe with the scaled down slab body and telecaster headstock, that has gone straight up the chart to number 3.  I thought my GAS was a thing of the past but David went and posted pictures of it on the forum and I was helpless 😍.  It has a really great tone - with just the gentlest of pushes it has a gnarly, gritty, saturated sound that is a great fit with my blues rock band - and is light as a feather.  Slim neck.

This bass without pictures is just cruel!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ander87 said:

I might suggest the tier system to Mrs ead in relation to shoes and handbags.  On the other hand I have become quite attached to my dangly bits :ph34r:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Paul S said:

It is actually with a mate of mine at the moment.  But it is one of these, I had it without a scatchplate fitted.

IMG_8928-scaled.jpeg

Yep - that's a corker.

I do like a nice 51P Style bass and that certainly looks the part. For lightweight I went the opposite and did a semi-hollow which came out at about 7.5 lbs

• Like 1