Why become a member? ×

Short scale 24 fret design thoughts

MoonBassAlpha

I'd like to rinse some ideas through the hive washing machine that is the build diary massive (err, I think I  mean you regulars)

I'm  a small fellow and my concept is a small bodied  short scale 24 fret bass with good upper fret access.

My  main novel (?) concept is to have the bridge as near the body edge as possible,  anchoring the strings on the underside and gently curving round the body (possibly in shallow grooves?)

The 2 benefits,  as I see them are getting the bridge piece as far South as possible and if the geometry is correct,  being able to use the far greater choice of long-scale strings. 

I  welcome your thoughts,  and hope I've got the idea across 😀

• Like 1

I’ve had exactly the same thoughts with short scale basses in order to have a greater string choice!! 
I was thinking of this with the very short scale basses I’ve made (27”) in order to use standard short scale strings. I didn’t find an off the shelf bridge that suited what I wanted so the idea went on hold as I don’t have time to make a custom bridge at present.

Be interested to see where this goes!

Cheers!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I’ve had exactly the same thoughts with short scale basses in order to have a greater string choice!! 
I was thinking of this with the very short scale basses I’ve made (27”) in order to use standard short scale strings. I didn’t find an off the shelf bridge that suited what I wanted so the idea went on hold as I don’t have time to make a custom bridge at present.

Be interested to see where this goes!

Cheers!

I was thinking something like the Warwick bridge,  maybe set into  body,  would work. I think it would need to be set low so nice smooth curve would be maintained. Fortunately,  I  like rounded basses,  and  these things may inform the design. I  also love Jabba bass designs, so feel free to incorporate in the near future 😀 😃 

• Like 1