Why become a member? ×

Maruszczyk Jake - Pondering

JPJ

So being left alone to ponder for the afternoon, my hankering for a fretless Precision type bass took me onto the Public Peace website and after a quick play around on the configurator, I came up with this. Ticks all the boxes, is considerably less money than Fender's only current fretless offering (the very nice Tony Franklin) and as the secondhand market seems bereft of anything decent at around this price point I'm seriously considering pressing the 'order' button. I know a few on here have taken a similar plunge, but what's the general consensus, are these basses worth the price point?

Jake C.png

• Like 5

Since my Jake 5 was delivered at the tail end of 2016 it seems to be the only bass that ever gets to leave the house. I've bought things that I thought might supersede it since, but every gig and every recording date still ends up being the Jake.  

Loving that mock up. I had an off the shelf Jake, it was nice enough, but didn’t have the ‘personality’ of my 2 custom builds. This may have been down to the more than adequate Bass Culture pickup not exciting me but, whatever it was, when I needed to offload a bass to finance my JMJ Mustang GAS, it was an easy choice which bass was to go. As you’re looking to order a custom build, rather than off the shelf, I think it’s a safe call providing you get your pickup choice right.

I have a PJ fretted Jake and a fretted Elwood (Jazz) Kev.  If you want to pop along and get a feel for them, you're welcome any time.  I do know where there is a Jake (P) for sale, which it might be cheaper to add a J and get defretted... just a thought.  

<edit>

It might be worth trying mine to see how you find the pups!  

Edited by warwickhunt

I have a passive Jake. I don't know how else to describe it other than amazing, I got it in something like 2015. 

The fit and finish is impeccable, the paint is thin but I'd take that over tacky, even the neck is painted and it's fine. No gaps anywhere. 

I have the Maruszsczyk P and Jazz bucker combo. All the tones are what you'd expect. 

I have the standard hardware, zero complaints there either.

The only real nit picky issue is that it didn't have a string tree, which wasn't a problem until I put battleship chains on it and tuned it BEAD. It probably would have been fine if I wasn't so heavy handed. Also, if I had my time over I'd either have got a stacked volume pot or put the jack in the Tele position, but that's only because I have a real problem with controls anywhere near my pick hand. 

Also, they're lovely to deal with. 

I bought my Jake L4p+ off the shelf from BD and at that time, in Fender terms, it was basically like paying MIJ level money for a MIA quality bass with weight relief and a custom pickup combination - didn't have to think very long about buying it. It's not absolutely flawlessly perfect if you just want to sit and stare at it, but it feels and sounds great to play.

Oddly enough I was pondering a topic along these lines… I have two utterly wonderful ACG five string (fretted) basses but only really need one (fretted) fiver in my life so was concocting a spec to consolidate into one. But there’s a gorgeous Jake L5 available at the moment which is whispering sweet nothings to me 😳

@JPJ do let us know if you go for it :)

I've just taken a punt on one of the Sadoewsky MIC Metroline fretless J/J basses.  Looks like v3 as some updates on the early runs and hopefully many of the issues fixed.  Due this week all being well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ead said:

I've just taken a punt on one of the Sadoewsky MIC Metroline fretless J/J basses.  Looks like v3 as some updates on the early runs and hopefully many of the issues fixed.  Due this week all being well.

Could you please share your views when it arrives. I've been eying one of these up as well. Trying to decide whether to ask Mr Shuker to make me an unlined fretless neck for my USA Jazz (currently fretted) or to take a punt on the Sadowsky.

1 hour ago, mr zed said:

Could you please share your views when it arrives. I've been eying one of these up as well. Trying to decide whether to ask Mr Shuker to make me an unlined fretless neck for my USA Jazz (currently fretted) or to take a punt on the Sadowsky.

Hey there Mr Zed I haven't seen you in ages, not since the gig at the Seven Stars to be precise; I hope you're keeping well.  You would be most welcome to come round and try it once it's landed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ead said:

Hey there Mr Zed I haven't seen you in ages, not since the gig at the Seven Stars to be precise; I hope you're keeping well.  You would be most welcome to come round and try it once it's landed.

I'm very well thanks - hope you're keeping well. That is a very kind offer that I'm very happy to take you up on. It would be good to catch up again. I'll drop you a pm and we can get something arranged. Nice one!

• Like 1