Why become a member? ×

Any decent bright vintage P pickups around?

thewalruswaspaul

Ok so I swapped out the pickup in a Mia P bass for an SPB-3 and ended up accidentally cooking the original pickup with the soldering iron :( and sadly the SPB-3 is not doing it for me, it seems to have less highs than the original pickup.

Anyway I am after a P bass pickup with a vintage-ish voice and plenty of brightness, I love the brightness of new strings and so change my strings once a month and after something that will bring out that brightness

Boutique pickups like Fralins are out of the picture as I cannot afford to spend a fortune on pickups so looking at £90 top whack.  The pickups I am considering so far are Fender original p bass pickup, Wilkinson wpb pickup, Warman p bass pickup and Kent Armstrong hot p pickup.

The Kent Armstrong is said to be bright but does it sound vintage? Will the Wilkinson be bright enough?

Any suggestions welcome, thanks

Might seem a crazy suggestion but a few years back I had, for a while, 2 basses with identical P bass pickups (a 2008 USA P bass and an old wreck of a rerouted Tele bass I still have that I bought a stock US P bass pickup for) yet the Volume pots were respectively 1Meg in the Tele bass, 250 k in the stock Fender. I won't open the maple / Rosewood board can of worms but all I'll say is they sounded electronically very different, the 1 Meg pot bass had a much more open sound that I was able to darken if needed, the 250k pot bass seemed under a blanket somewhat.

Hope this helps, I'm not an authority on the P bass sound but it's what I experienced anyway. Maybe the pot change might get you what you want without changing pickups. I've never got on with the SPB3 either, I preferred the SPB1.

Martin

Edited by The fasting showman
Hadn't made myself clear!

Nordy NP4 or NP4A for a more scooped eq? I’m currently thinking of buying a nice playing Squier CV P and upgrading the crap out of it, so I’m on YT comparing pickups - a lot. Current winner is the DiMarzio DP122, which turns out to be ceramic, to my surprise.

15 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Perhaps "bright" and "vintage" don't really inhabit the same universe.

I'm not sure about this, people tend to think of vintage tone as being dark but I think this is mostly due to the flatwounds and limitations of these eras, most vintage pickups are wound fairly lightly which would suggest a brighter frequency response, not many vintage pickups had a heavy wind

Edited by thewalruswaspaul
  • Like 1

On 29/11/2021 at 18:17, The fasting showman said:

the 1 Meg pot bass had a much more open sound that I was able to darken if needed, the 250k pot bass seemed under a blanket somewhat.

This is totally a thing - pots with higher values allow more of the top end to pass through - could be a way forward, though you are then breaking the holy P trinity of alnico 5, .1uf cap and 250K pots.

Maybe try a 500K? In the end it's about what you want to hear.

• Like 1