Why become a member? ×

Anima Nova DB sound post

triplebass

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Looks interesting, but what's the price as I couldn't find it ?

On my Leduc EUB with a floating top, finished in 2013, the soundpost is adjustable as it can dramatically change the sound and I found it an excellent idea.

i also don’t know about the price, i scheduled an appointment at the local luthier/dealer, and am looking forward to get some more info, i will post next week.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TheRev said:

There's a Talkbass thread about it.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/adjustable-soundpost-–-anima-nova.1198813/#post-18233085

I haven't read it in detail but looks like the price is €600.

Thanks for the link, it actually has a couple of opinions from actual owners so i’m really looking forward to thursday’s luthier appointment!

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

It's a micrometer.

Anyway, it says "FITTING AND ADJUSTING A SOUNDPOST REQUIRES SIGNIFICANT EXPERIENCE AND SHOULD ONLY BE CARRIED OUT BY A PROFESSIONAL INSTRUMENT MAKER."

Not much point in having it if you can't adjust it yourself, Shirley?

While I agree with that, Jack, bear in mind that adjusting any kind of soundpost requires a special tool (long, curved piece of metal, with the correctly shaped end for grabbing and moving the dowel) and the knowledge of how to use it properly, so this was never going to be as 'accessible', so to speak, as tweaking the truss rod on a bass guitar.

Getting it in the right place is still an issue.  Then knowing how much to crank it up.  The only "de-skilling" is the fact that the feet self adjust to the curve of the instrument; then maybe some time saved as you can adjust the length in situ rather than taking it out and filing the end a bit.  As you have to get someone who really knows what they're doing to fit it, there seems little advantage over a (much cheaper) chunk of pine.

I'm sure there will be some instrument adjusting expert who will tell you that the sound post material has to be carefully matched to the instrument to get the best sound (as per wooden bridges, where basic engineering suggests carbon fibre should work better but people in the know are still using a lump of maple).   Though I have a couple of carbon bows which I'm very pleased with.

Edited by NickA
  • Like 1

From what i gather the people who have it talk of basses opening up sound-wise while attributing this to the Anima? The variables of the post (position, length, types of wood...) have probably been addressed with posts before.

It certainly is a mystery with posts with every bass, and the price doesn't really help with this one...

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all.

For info -

Martin Penning in Frome (superb bass Luthier) has them and can fit and "tune" them up. 

I've recently played a gorgeous Lott model bass in Birmingham with one of these vernier scale adjustable posts. I was totally blown away by the sound that the bass that the  owner attributed to this post (he's principal bassist of a prominent UK pro orchestra). 

The "tuning" is critical by spinning the extending/retracting wheel. Martin did this when the player was playing it so he could feel and hear the difference. Once the optimum pressure on the table is found then the telescopic post is locked off and adjustment wheel removed. 

It's very useful if the top pressure changes due to atmospherics, different gage/tension strings or changes in humidity/seasons. 

The bass is regularly played in the CBSO. 

I'm strongly considering getting one for my main orchestral bass as is my missus for her violin. 

(bit pricey though). 

Beware - One caveat is that as it opens up and increases the volume and projection of an instrument IF you have a wolf note (most basses do) then as well as the desirable tones it'll also "amplify" the wolf note! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bloopdad1 said:

Hi all.

For info -

Martin Penning in Frome (superb bass Luthier) has them and can fit and "tune" them up. 

I've recently played a gorgeous Lott model bass in Birmingham with one of these vernier scale adjustable posts. I was totally blown away by the sound that the bass that the  owner attributed to this post (he's principal bassist of a prominent UK pro orchestra). 

The "tuning" is critical by spinning the extending/retracting wheel. Martin did this when the player was playing it so he could feel and hear the difference. Once the optimum pressure on the table is found then the telescopic post is locked off and adjustment wheel removed. 

It's very useful if the top pressure changes due to atmospherics, different gage/tension strings or changes in humidity/seasons. 

The bass is regularly played in the CBSO. 

I'm strongly considering getting one for my main orchestral bass as is my missus for her violin. 

(bit pricey though). 

Beware - One caveat is that as it opens up and increases the volume and projection of an instrument IF you have a wolf note (most basses do) then as well as the desirable tones it'll also "amplify" the wolf note! 

I think this is the "Hamberger" soundpost rather than the Anima Nova, which doesn't have the adjuster wheel. I have no idea how these compare*, but I've spent some time with the Anima Nova for violin and viola and the change in sound with post length/tension was a revelation to me after 20 years or so as a luthier. I'm pretty quick at fitting wooden posts, but even so I find my aural memory is too short to pick up the detailed changes in sound produced by ones of different length. With the carbon fibre posts it's quick and very obvious. 

* maybe the Hamberger sounds a bit Wimpy. Coat on, taxi called.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1