Why become a member? ×

Sting and Dm talking to Rick Beato

P j

When I say sting is a genius, maybe I should have put the word modern in front. judging by people’s reactions, modern day genius being a  more apt calling , but bearing in mind of stings longevity being band or solo works 

if you take a  look at the number of songs produced over the last three /four decades I don’t see another artist musician coming even close to his success , please don’t put u2 / or cold play as a comparison , (no discredit to them ) but with one quoted  song (just one ) every breath you take,  being the most played song 🎵 the 21 century alone without counting countless other songs that have  been either number 1 s or massive charting memorable hits ,so for the life of me can’t think of many or any up and coming bands dead or alive quite measure up the his ability-or quality output of sting , so yes a modern day genius at the very least and counting , and most of all a home breed talent from uk should be celebrated , but hey it’s only an opinion. But a valid point one . 

The bulk of the music I listen to is predominantly rock, funk and disco but two of my favourite albums are Ten Summoners Tales and Mercury Falling.

Yes he's full of himself and has behaved like a total walloper over the years but I think most successful musicians and songwriters have and can be. Fame and notoriety can give you an audience that you wouldn't have had were you not famous.  Regardless of whether it's profound life changing stuff or complete sloblock.

5 hours ago, Ectoplasm said:

Slightly off-topic...

I remember reading an interview with Sting in Bassist or Bass Player magazine in the early '90s.

He'd been telling his wife, Trudie, about Jaco and she assumed he was Irish because she thought his name was Jack O'Pastorius.

After being banged senseless by Sting for seven hours during his Tantric sex sessions, I'm surprised Trudie was capable of assuming anything.

:D

• Haha 2

Sting is a small player.

Patrick Hernandez earns the same as he does with Every Breath you Take with his Born to Be Alive one hit single and gets enough money each day (around £1000 GBP a day with just one tune !) to live very well and still being a simple man.

That said, his wife is a hell of a manager and is assuring their wealth with a clever marketing of that unique one shot hit single.

If that is what makes a genius, then this guy is a true one.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Sting is a small player.

Patrick Hernandez earns the same as he does with Every Breath you Take with his Born to Be Alive one hit single and gets enough money each day (around £1000 GBP a day with just one tune !) to live very well and still being a simple man.

That said, his wife is a hell of a manager and is assuring their wealth with a clever marketing of that unique one shot hit single.

If that is what makes a genius, then this guy is a true one.

Octave city...I remember playing that back in the day at various seven nights a week residencies.

For me, it started out as a strenuous, physical work out in the art of octaves.

Several weeks later, not only was I a smooth octave operator, I could even talk in octaves while I was asleep.

:D

Edited by lowdown
  • Haha 2

There are levels of genius IMO ,   Zappa , McCartney,  Bowie, etc  but i personally consider  Sting to be a variation of genius.

F'rinstace,  picking on just one track -  Shape Of My heart - music co-written with Argentinian  maestro Dom,  lyrics by Sting.    It's a masterpiece.

Other parts of his life might be contentious, but what the hey, he's not a murderer or  bank robber, so who cares.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1