Why become a member? ×

Sting and Dm talking to Rick Beato

P j

Well love him or hate him sting with his side kick dom Miller discuss there latest venture on YouTube talking to Rick Beato : some people often disregard sting as a pompous git , but he really is a modern day genius , his ability to write a 3 minute pop tune is amazing , but even he has come to the conclusion that music has hit the wall , but with his ever evolving talent and his quest to push himself to the next level and constant changing of the guard he has tried to make himself relevant . So for that alone I wish people would give him a break and  stop  starting sentences multimillionaire sting with personal fortune £300 million ! Yes he’s rich beyond comprehension and why not he’s works hard , yes that’s right hard. so base his success on his ability to do something not just well but to an amazing standard , check out his dedication to evolve to find the next big thing , Rick and dom have witnessed something quite special and I agree with them , sting is a modern day genius . Pj 

• Like 5

Well all I am saying or trying to get across is he’s a talent and  is to be celebrated and not to be judged solely by his wealth , as often it’s the primary point to any discussion about sting after all my point is aimed to recognise his bass playing ability and not that he’s got 106 bank accounts ,or sliced  bread .

I've just watched it, some good moments and memories there like the first audition of Dominic Miller and the way it started so badly.

I agreed with everything he or Dominic or even Rick say about music and his career.

But frankly, Sting is not a genius even if he can create instant catchy tunes that he calls flagships, he doesn't deserve such a title.

He's a clever guy for sure, but no genius, and his voice is unique because it has a default in it, which are distorted harmonics : just try to sing like him and you'll understand that he's not high pitched, but that there are distorted harmonics coming and giving that high pitch illusion.

He says it himself, everything is already in classical music and especially Bach.

Edited by Hellzero
Wording

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I can't agree. He's been a tool on occasion, but haven't we all?

OK, it's one man's opinion, but having read Andy Summers' book, he's been a self absorbed knob since day one. Perhaps all very successful stars are (and some folk who are regardless of success ;)) , but they just keep it hidden away? Perhaps Mr Sumner is more honest and genuine in that he lets his knobness shine through? I'd rather he just played his bass, sang and wrote more great songs.

For the record, The Police are one of my all time, favourite bands and at least 2/3 of that band were tools.

• Like 2

Ha ha glad we got past the money thing , yes would agree he has a tendency to be a bit of knob head,  well on more the a few occasions , and now here lives but a 1000 yards away from me in Battersea,  I should remind him of this should I ever bump into him , only after I’ve shook his hand and hand a quick chat about Roxanne 😂

Yes I think stu was a bit of a thug in those days  and sting definitely from his looks at times took a beating  , but stu eased up when he realises actually he’s pretty good , better not cut off my nose here ! 
but all in jest I think it’s clear that individually all members of the police had something of a great talent to bring to the table in their own special ways . 

• Like 1

I've no idea what people's personalities are like when they're not on stage. 

If I took any notice of anyone's political beliefs or personal beliefs I'd probably never go and see anyone play.

Plenty of bands and artists I've seen live have had bad nights. It's live music. 

Edited by TimR
  • Like 1

I like the first four Police albums which definitely show Gordon has an ear for melody and a knack for writing memorable songs. But I don't care for his solo material esp his jazz tinged stuff, though that's to be expected considering his jazz roots. I also support his environmentalism rather than knock him for it which I've never understood why many do. But genius? No and nor were/are any other rock and pop musicians IMO and that includes Bowie and I'm still on the fence about Prince.

• Thanks 1

Watched this when it came out. Tremendous viewing. Is he a genius? Dunno, but his application of other musical perspectives to pop is damned close to genius. Examples, in my opinion? 

Why should I cry for you?

Every breath you take

Much of Ten Summoners Tales.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, merello said:

Is he a genius?

Genius, along with iconic, is a word that is used far too freely.

The Police were a superb band, definitely one of the most influential bands of their time.

Loved his earlier solo stuff but lost interest after 10 Summoners Tales.

Seen him live quite a few times too & he was always never less than excellent.

Incredibly talented undoubtably. Genius? Probably not.

I haven't watched the interview thing as I can't stand Rick Beato, he's the worst kind of shouting-at-clouds old fart muso IMO.