Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried DR Sunbeams / Diaddario Nickel?

bassmansam

Looking at nickel strings for my 5 string Jazz. I used to love Dr lo riders but after putting them on my new 35 scale they feel too rough and tight. Much preferred the nickels that came with it originally..... 

Looking at DR Sunbeams and Nickel D'addario. Has anyone tried both sets? What did you think? 

I play function tunes so a mixture of 60s - present day 😁

Edited by bassmansam

• bassmansam changed the title to Anyone tried DR Sunbeams / Diaddario Nickel?

I use sunbeams on my fretless and have used D'Addario‘ in the past on fretted. 
I like the tension of the sunbeams a lot more and find they are smoother in sound. 
The D'Addario‘s are more zingy and bright. 

here’s a comparison video of DA and Sunbeams on a Jazz (not me) headphones recommended

Edited by Bunion
  • Thanks 1

DR Sunbeams have been my default string for many years..feel great, sound lovely and last better than anything I’ve tried.  I recently bought  the Newtone round core nickel strings, and they are very close in all ways.  Superb strings. Can’t comment on lifespan, as they are only about 6 weeks old.  They are also a bit cheaper than DR’s (via Thomann) 

• Like 1

On 27/11/2021 at 06:59, bassmansam said:

Looking at nickel strings for my 5 string Jazz. I used to love Dr lo riders but after putting them on my new 35 scale they feel too rough and tight. Much preferred the nickels that came with it originally..... 

Looking at DR Sunbeams and Nickel D'addario. Has anyone tried both sets? What did you think? 

I play function tunes so a mixture of 60s - present day 😁

Try SIT Foundations. I was a long time Sunbeams user but these have convinced me to change permanently. 

• Like 1

I've tried the Hi Beams but never the Sunbeams. They were almost as good as D'Addario Nickels, but disappointing for almost twice the price. On everything except my Jake 5 (which wears the Maruszczyk Nickels) I always end up going back to the D'Addarios.

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I had the Nickel plated version of the DR Lo-Riders recommended to be recently. Were you using them, or the all steel version? 

I currently have nickel lo- riders on my Jazz. Stiffer than most, but lovely tone and feel. Fat beams are great too.

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, lonestar said:

I currently have nickel lo- riders on my Jazz. Stiffer than most, but lovely tone and feel. Fat beams are great too.

I've got and like GHS Boomers, which, to my tastes are lovely and stiff. The Nickel Lo-Riders were suggested as the only mainstream option for an even warmer tone whilst still being hexcore NPS.

Relevant to this thread: I've had the Daddario Nickels and ... and never again. From jangly to dead in a month, and pricey in this country. The Fender 7250s are cheaper and have a more middle of the road tone and last longer.

23 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I've got and like GHS Boomers, which, to my tastes are lovely and stiff. The Nickel Lo-Riders were suggested as the only mainstream option for an even warmer tone whilst still being hexcore NPS.

Relevant to this thread: I've had the Daddario Nickels and ... and never again. From jangly to dead in a month, and pricey in this country. The Fender 7250s are cheaper and have a more middle of the road tone and last longer.

Yes I have used the Fender ones. They’re  really good value. I understand that they’re made byD’addario