Why become a member? ×

Age & Music Priorities

Bluewine

Hi Folks,

3 weeks post surgery and I'm doing well.

This post is primarily for the Senior Folks that have been playing for decades. However, please everyone chime in.

What do you want to do and accomplish at 65 plus years as opposed to  when you were 21

What is your focus at 65 plus,writing, performance, recording , self study

What are your thoughts on gigging at 65 plus as opposed to 21.

What type of folks do you want to work with at 65 plus

I'll be performing tonight it's my 2nd gig since my surgery. I was in the hospital for 6 days. I've been out for 2 weeks.

I'm really pushing it and I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

FB_IMG_1637508552924.jpg

• Like 22

Great question!

I don’t have decades of playing experience and my memories of gigging back in the day are mixed - great fun playing but post-gig lugging equipment about late at night wasn’t my favourite thing. 

I’m rapidly approaching 60 and have come back to bass playing relatively recently after about a 35 year break. I was never very good the first time round so my goals right now are very simple; rediscover my past experience but apply better technique and expand my music theory knowledge, something I failed to address before. I hope to expand my repertoire and do some recording. After next week I’ll be retired so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to indulge in that. As for being in a band again and gigging, it’s not on my radar yet but as my playing confidence improves I may think about doing something informal if an opportunity comes up and it can remain just fun.

Good luck with your resurgence, take it easy and have fun. Please report back after your gig. 

Edited by Velarian
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Coilte said:

Glad to hear you are doing well.  🙂

I agree with Jus Lukin. If you jump back in too soon you could be jumping back a few steps recovery wise, and making matters worse. Proceed with the utmost caution.

I'm taking it real easy. I'm not driving or doing any lifting. No set up or tear down.

Blue

Glad to hear the surgeon put all the bits back in the right order, Blue! Welcome back.

I'm assuming you mean musically? I'm just turned  59 and pretty sure I want more than another six years of music.

What do you want to do and accomplish at 65 plus years as opposed to  when you were 21

My ambitions are much bigger! By then I want to play some festivals and big gigs, record again (not that I ever did more than demos before) and also do a lot more one off stuff with different people.

I love performing.

At 59 gigging is one of the few things that makes me feel 21 again. I hope that remains true at 65!

Friendly, competent musicians.

• Like 4

Glad to hear you’re on the mend, Blue. I’m 2/3 of the way between 21 and 65, and definitely feel I’m slowing in terms of stamina when it comes to gigs. In the 90s I felt I was indestructible and the gigs would always be there. I was productive, keen, but also earnest as heck and probably a bit of a pain for people around me.

By the time I had a good career going in another discipline (my 30s), I chilled out, accepted music would be semi-pro at best and had much more fun playing as a result, while taking the discipline bit seriously and not messing bands about. Those bands lasted about  20 years, then I had to take time out for personal reasons, then Covid happened.

Now, I’m doing loads of music with all sorts of people from musicals to agit-punk, all for petrol money, but on my own terms, and having a blast. However, I’d be loathe to join a busy gigging band because the energy isn’t quite there: the one-off gigs are fun but I remember the old bands - for every big festival gig there’d be the tiny club show miles from anywhere, in front of ten people.

3 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Glad you are well :)

Mid 40s here I just play for fun at home not interested in gigging my priority is just to continue plodding on and getting better just for personal fun and satisfaction

Yep. Same here. 

I've done the bands and gigging piece.  There were some truly memorable moments,  but the whole thing left me increasingly weary (and wary) of the music biz and other people to the point that it's not worth the trouble. 

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

I can’t see much of a point playing at home without gigging, so I salute you and I’m sure your audience does too. 

I still enjoy playing. I'm still improving. I don't need to gig and I've no desire to do so.

• Like 2

Hey Blue, good to hear you're getting over your surgery.

At 65 my aim was the same as it had always been; to be better today than I was yesterday and to play as many gigs, with good players, as I could fit in.

It's still work in progress.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, TrypF said:

Glad to hear you’re on the mend, Blue. I’m 2/3 of the way between 21 and 65, and definitely feel I’m slowing in terms of stamina when it comes to gigs. In the 90s I felt I was indestructible and the gigs would always be there. I was productive, keen, but also earnest as heck and probably a bit of a pain for people around me.

By the time I had a good career going in another discipline (my 30s), I chilled out, accepted music would be semi-pro at best and had much more fun playing as a result, while taking the discipline bit seriously and not messing bands about. Those bands lasted about  20 years, then I had to take time out for personal reasons, then Covid happened.

Now, I’m doing loads of music with all sorts of people from musicals to agit-punk, all for petrol money, but on my own terms, and having a blast. However, I’d be loathe to join a busy gigging band because the energy isn’t quite there: the one-off gigs are fun but I remember the old bands - for every big festival gig there’d be the tiny club show miles from anywhere, in front of ten people.

Many of us would rather play to 10 engaged attentive people than 1,000 people hardly interested.

Blue

• Like 1

I'm in 4 bands. 3 of them can't gig because members are vulnerable to covid (one band member got covid and ended up in intensive care).

I've had to start a new band, which so far has no singer, but I'm happy to plough on with gigs until I drop (I'm a relatively healthy 58 year old).

Hey Blue, good to see you back and hope your health issues are now sorted.

I’m nearly 64, been playing music for a living now for nearly 30 years and no intention of stopping anytime soon.

Started in bands almost 50 years ago and to be honest can’t ever imagine not playing live in some form or another. I travel all over the UK doing theatre gigs in a tribute band and am fortunate to work with a great bunch of positive minded people who make it very worthwhile. I believe this is one of the main factors in sustaining my enthusiasm in my advancing years. I have worked with some musicians over the years who did make me wonder why I was doing this, which made me realise that being with the right people is paramount. Am fortunate to have no serious health problems, and still have the stamina for long days/nights spent travelling and playing. 

As for the future, I will probably eventually stick to doing smaller gigs nearer to home if possible, but don’t see me retiring fully until the point I can no longer play. It’s been in my blood far too long. 🙂

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hello Blue,

Glad you're recovering, but go easy, won't you ?

I played my first gig in 1970, so am one of the old guard now.

The most noticeable change over my many gigging years is how much the standard of playing for weekend warriors has improved. I picked up my first pro gig in 1973, and cringe now to think how inept I was at the time, - yet I was the best available to choose from for what was a well paid regular touring band gig.

I still gig now, but just deps for covers/functions bands - I love the buzz of getting a last minute gig and sometimes meeting the band just half an hour before they're on stage, - and being a dep means I can completely avoid all the internal band politics.

So, I pick up my bass every day and usually play for an hour or so - there's always something new to learn, even if it's just dissecting a little bass fill I've heard or trying out a few ideas. And there's always someone new to listen to - I've just discovered Doug Johns. I'll never play at that level but enjoy his mastery.

Playing live is still a huge part of my life, and I expect you and I will be the same and only stop playing when we have to be carried onto the stage!  😊

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Hi Folks,

3 weeks post surgery and I'm doing well.

This post is primarily for the Senior Folks that have been playing for decades. However, please everyone chime in.

I'll be performing tonight it's my 2nd gig since my surgery. I was in the hospital for 6 days. I've been out for 2 weeks.

I'm really pushing it and I think I'm getting ahead of myself.

Good to see you back, Blue.  Take it gently. 

These are, as ever from you, thought provokinig questions, many of which I have been giving consideration to recently.

I am now 64 and aside from a dodgy back I'd say I was pretty fit.  A shadow on the horizon - I have a progressive neurological condition called 'Essential Tremor' that makes my hands shake and which will prevent me playing eventually (but not yet!) :) 

Over the past couple of years I have trimmed down from being in 3 bands to just the one, and we aren't desperately busy.  I sometimes think of doing a bit more but the trouble is these 3 bands were with players of a high standard and it has given me high expectations.  I recently tried out for a classic rock band but they fell short of the mark and the time and effort spent learning the material could have been better employed elsewhere, really.

So after much soul searching the conclusion I have reached is to completely focus on what I have and make the very best of it.  I'm in a blues rock trio with 2 guys that I really like.  There is a difference is age - the drummer is 40, the guitarist 50 - yet we gel and are very comfortable with each other.   I am playing music that I love - music that was the soundtrack to growing up - with a smoking hot guitar player who really does justice to the genre.  We all have a passion for what we do and playing is just a joy.  We've had some great opportunities and, hopefully, will pick up some momentum again during 2022 after Covid stalled us.  My last hurrah that I wil follow wherever it leads me :) 

Meanwhile we have our final gig of the year tonight at the Swan and Hedgehog in Ipswich, should anyone be free and fancies a night of guitar solos :D 

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 1