Why become a member? ×

Medium Scale Jazz Build..... a what now??

Bridgehouse

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, although that makes them sound like Clown Vomit.

Red, orange and yellow before adding purple on the sides/just around the very edges

20211122_120424.thumb.jpg.f31034facfc60c32ffac3f3082781a70.jpg

I'm tempted to try the Crimson shots and thin them with Isopropyl Alcohol. I also quite like their vivid colours as well - but mostly I want to try their finishing oil as it looks superb.

The yellow in that body will really pop with a bit of a build up of finishing oil. You using Tung? I think Tung gets absorbed a bit too much for a deep finish.

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

ou using Tung? I think Tung gets absorbed a bit too much for a deep finish.

Yes, I've built it up six coats over six days, now on sixth day of waiting for it all to fully cure, it's made it a fair bit darker.

I'm going to use a satin microcrystalline wax for protection. Not gloss as I've left the small natural voids etc. in the wood.

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Yes, I've built it up six coats over six days, now on sixth day of waiting for it all to fully cure, it's made it a fair bit darker.

I'm going to use a satin microcrystalline wax for protection. Not gloss as I've left the small natural voids etc. in the wood.

Apparently some of the crimson oils grain fill as well.. so we shall see. I’m always up for experimenting - I once grain filled a guitar with egg white

16 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Not a perfect match at all, but a match, as the knobs have a shade of magenta in their colour, but it may be a brownish hue as the white balance of the photo isn't right.

The white balance is completely off - I need to take them outside to photograph properly. As you say, it's close - not perfect, but close enough. 

First up is the neck..

Very nice it is too. It's had a light oil coating on the board (as I think this was originally intended for another project - and I got them for bargain basement pricing). However, a wipe of acetone should get rid of it if I want to redo with something else, which I may well, but it's going to be a simple satin oil and rub down for the finish..

IMG_3693.jpeg

IMG_3694.jpeg

IMG_3695.jpeg

I"m colour blind...

Match is close enough, specially as they are not going to be bang on next to each other...

That body, nice bit of wood, but didn't realise from the original pics how much of a edge contour, almost to Ibanez proportion... realy realy nice, much lighter looking and more modern take on a classic.

Neck looks nice... have you considered a matching contour around the headstock, front and back after the risers from the nut... alowing for the tuner bodies and ferrels... soften the look and make it more unique, especually being short scale n all...

What are you gonna refinish the table in 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

I"m colour blind...

Match is close enough, specially as they are not going to be bang on next to each other...

That body, nice bit of wood, but didn't realise from the original pics how much of a edge contour, almost to Ibanez proportion... realy realy nice, much lighter looking and more modern take on a classic.

Neck looks nice... have you considered a matching contour around the headstock, front and back after the risers from the nut... alowing for the tuner bodies and ferrels... soften the look and make it more unique, especually being short scale n all...

What are you gonna refinish the table in 😉

Not going to attempt contouring - don’t have the right tools or inclination/skills to do a convincing job. 

Going to concentrate on the finish and the build up for now I think!