Why become a member? ×

HELP on my purchase from Dawsons Music

gyrus

Hi!

I’m not sure if this is the right place in BC to post this, but I would like to seek your advice regarding my situation.

I purchased an item online from Dawsons Music last 17/11/2021 but I haven’t received the item until now (i.e. at the time of this writing, 26/11/2021).

I have sent them three emails and I have sent a message in their Facebook page, but it looks like all I am receiving are automated replies.

I also tried calling their phone number but the automatic voice reply says the party I am calling cannot receive a call from my location.

This is my first time to buy online from Dawsons Music.

I’m really concerned that my purchase would be a failure.
Let alone, I won’t get my money back.

May I request for your advice on what should I do next to follow up my online purchase?

Any help or suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

35 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

If you paid via credit card you are protected 

Call the credit card company and explain and request a reversal of the payment 

This is true if the value of the purchase was  £100 or more. The technical term is ‘a Section 75 claim’. 

It’s only been seven working days though. Was the item shown as in stock and what did they say the delivery time would be? I assume you haven’t had an email saying it’s been despatched?

Dawsons did go bust earlier in the year and the business was bought out and reopened (but without most of the high street shops) as I remember it. I’m sure it’s discussed on the forum if you search. 

Edited by nekomatic
  • Like 1

Thank you for all your replies. I never knew they went out of business as their website still posts Black Friday deals. I paid via PayPal. I hope it’s not too late for me to get my money back.

Edited by gyrus

They went out of business but are back in business under new ownership. 

Did you get an email confirming they had received your order?

If you literally can’t get any response out of Dawson‘s then I expect you will be able to raise a claim with PayPal. I think you’ll probably have to wait until a couple of weeks after the date of your order, but you can go and look it up on PayPal’s site. 

Edited by nekomatic
more stuff
  • Like 1

On Companies House it shows a charge being registered in September by a finance company. This suggests that they’ve refinanced the business and therefore should be ok. I wouldn’t worry too much at this stage and presumably PayPal provides some protection?

I would always recommend paying by credit card for anything over £100 for the S75 protection mentioned by @nekomatic above. Even if you have the money to pay upfront. Just pay by credit card and then pay the credit card off straight away, you still get the protection. 

• Like 1

On 30/11/2021 at 14:36, BaldyBlues said:

Any update? Has it arrived? I'm in a similar position, so hoping for good news.

Update - not sure if it was just taking time going through their processes, or whether messaging them yesterday on Facebook had an effect, but by end of yesterday my order showed as dispatched, and I now have a tracking number. So in some cases at least, orders are getting fulfilled.

On 30/11/2021 at 14:36, BaldyBlues said:

Any update? Has it arrived? I'm in a similar position, so hoping for good news.

At the time of this writing, I still have not received what I bought.
However, when I logged on the website, it says my item has been despatched... but I do not have any tracking number.

I shall update this thread if and when I receive it.

Edited by gyrus

The long and short of it as I understand (as a former employee 2003-2014)

soon after my time was done there, the company started to go wrong - The head guy who’d run it as a successful business for years had retired and the people left to run it didn’t have a clue.

They went under, a private equity firm jumped in and sold a load of assets (the head office building in Warrington, for example).

A guy who owns a brass and woodwind business in Manchester took over about 12/18 months ago.

Distributors and brands, burned by the behaviour of the private equity company, unpaid bills and retained stock were reluctant to get involved with the ‘new’ Dawsons and things never really recovered to the point where they could trade effectively.

The reviews on Google all tell the same story - all from 2 years ago up until today, there is no way a company in this day and age can turn around that tarnished a reputation.

A real shame, not least for the 65/70 staff who were let go.

The only remaining store is Chester, there are 4 shop staff (2 former colleagues and 2 who came after my time).

I don’t know what they’re stocking, or what the deal is with orders…I’d love to say something more positive. But I won’t.

• Like 2

Yeah they got back to me on my order today saying they just couldn't give me an Eta for delivery so I requested they cancel the order, which they have. They were very apologetic but ultimately something must be pretty wrong if they can't get a pedal out in the post. I would understand if the pedal was out of stock and needed a special order but this isn't what they have told me is the issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dosi Y'Anarchy said:

Yeah they got back to me on my order today saying they just couldn't give me an Eta for delivery so I requested they cancel the order, which they have. They were very apologetic but ultimately something must be pretty wrong if they can't get a pedal out in the post. I would understand if the pedal was out of stock and needed a special order but this isn't what they have told me is the issue. 

How and where did they reply to you?

Via email, Facebook messenger, by phone call, or by other means?

On 04/12/2021 at 11:03, AndyTravis said:

I have messaged, had a response and got Alex an alternative email.

Thanks, Andy. I have replied to your PM. Fingers crossed... I really hope everything will work out well. I do appreciate your help.