Why become a member? ×

Using old radio clips in a song. Copyright?

LavatoryBass

I have some 25-30 year old recordings of speech radio and want to use some single words and brief phrases in my songs, which I plan to release. Are there any copyright issues with this? More up to date - if I need a voice saying "Goodbye" for example, can I just find one on Youtube and record it? Thank you.

This is interesting: 
"The 1956 Act restricts only two matters: it prohibits recording the broadcast for commercial purposes"

"In respect of the first point, a recording is not made for a commercial purpose (i.e. a non-private purpose) unless it is offered for sale; so where a recording was made for home use, and is not subsequently offered for sale, at no stage is it used for a commercial purpose"

"The effect is that it is not an infringement of copyright to record or copy a broadcast made on or after 1 January 1959, unless it is done for commercial purposes (i.e. for payment)."

I did not make the recordings (from the radio) for commercial purposes and never intended to sell them, but intend to use very short and likely unidentifiable clips from them in music recordings which could potentially make me money. I am selling my songs, not the radio recordings.

10 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Copyright owners are likely to be much more accommodating if you approach them before the fact. Locate and ask the owners, and you may find that they ask for very little, or are willing to allow use free of charge. Nick their stuff and get caught? You could be paying damages and their court fees.

As an artist yourself, treat other people's material with the same respect you'd like them to treat yours.

I don't believe there's any issue with spoken words clips as such but, as Jus Lukin says above, a little polite enquiry always goes a long way and could save hassle down the road.

Alternatively, why don't you just record yourself/friends saying what you want?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cetera said:

I don't believe there's any issue with spoken words clips as such but, as Jus Lukin says above, a little polite enquiry always goes a long way and could save hassle down the road.

Alternatively, why don't you just record yourself/friends saying what you want?

Thanks. I may recreate the spoken parts myself if I need to, but it won't have quite the same effect as clips from random and uncommon sources. I have asked permission to several people/organisations and am awaiting replies. One has agreed if I send $50.00.