Why become a member? ×

Home practice using an audio interface and maybe some plugins?

chyc

I like a clean bass sound as much as anyone, but even I have to say that a cable straight into an audio interface and listening with headphones is just a little too dry for me. The main reason I like doing this is that I can record myself and listen back critically, and I can play along to all manner of things on teh internutz.

So just out of curiosity, does anyone else practise through an audio interface? Do you do it dry, or do you spice up your tone with an IR or some EQ? I own Reaper and any workflows involving its included plugins I'd be very interested in hearing.

If you wonder what tones I'm interested in, the answer is that I'm not sure. I'm usually very laid back about it, so long as it's not audibly distorted. In other words, this is a very open ended question so I can try others' tips and tricks and maybe steal some ideas 🙂 . Even the dry-as-a-cracker tone I get from the interface is fine, but uninspiring, hence the question.

If it helps, the interface is an SSL 2

PS: Spending money is fine for me, so long as it's not too much. Chip in with your experiences anyway even if you have splurged on the Helix Native though!

Edited by chyc
Added PS.

22 minutes ago, chyc said:

I like a clean bass sound as much as anyone, but even I have to say that a cable straight into an audio interface and listening with headphones is just a little too dry for me. The main reason I like doing this is that I can record myself and listen back critically, and I can play along to all manner of things on teh internutz.

So just out of curiosity, does anyone else practise through an audio interface? Do you do it dry, or do you spice up your tone with an IR or some EQ? I own Reaper and any workflows involving its included plugins I'd be very interested in hearing.

If you wonder what tones I'm interested in, the answer is that I'm not sure. I'm usually very laid back about it, so long as it's not audibly distorted. In other words, this is a very open ended question so I can try others' tips and tricks and maybe steal some ideas 🙂 . Even the dry-as-a-cracker tone I get from the interface is fine, but uninspiring, hence the question.

If it helps, the interface is an SSL 2

PS: Spending money is fine for me, so long as it's not too much. Chip in with your experiences anyway even if you have splurged on the Helix Native though!

I’d do it the other way. Plug whatever you’re using live into your soundcard and monitor that. That way you’ll start to develop an intimate understanding of the signal you’re sending to FOH when you play live. For what it’s worth I’d always advocate using a separate DI box live so I use this to plug into my soundcard and jobs a good un. You’ll develop a really great understanding of how your bass sounds in isolation and if you do any recording of how is sits in the mix (often two very different things). Happy to chat more over DM about this if you would like.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

I’d do it the other way. Plug whatever you’re using live into your soundcard and monitor that. That way you’ll start to develop an intimate understanding of the signal you’re sending to FOH when you play live. For what it’s worth I’d always advocate using a separate DI box live so I use this to plug into my soundcard and jobs a good un. You’ll develop a really great understanding of how your bass sounds in isolation and if you do any recording of how is sits in the mix (often two very different things). Happy to chat more over DM about this if you would like.  

My signal path is about as clean as can be. A cable between bass and either an Acoustic Image Coda or a GSS 06B400MKD. If I'm twiddling with EQ it's because I cannot hear myself rather than I don't like my sound, so I guess it's the room environment that I miss with an audio interface.

57 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

I was about to suggest The Waves SSL EV2 plugin for $39 but then I see you're using the SSL Interface.

I'm also using reaper with The Audient iD4, this with the Waves SSL EV plugin gives some wonderful tones. Might we worth downloading the Demo to try?

This is an interesting one. The SSL 2+ has a big red button to turn on 4000 series console emulation, but it's just that: one button. There's no granularity and certainly no eq or blending of tones.

At $39 I'd be prepared to give the demo a go with a view to purchasing. Thanks for the pointer!

20 minutes ago, chyc said:

This is an interesting one. The SSL 2+ has a big red button to turn on 4000 series console emulation, but it's just that: one button. There's no granularity and certainly no eq or blending of tones.

At $39 I'd be prepared to give the demo a go with a view to purchasing. Thanks for the pointer!

it has some great custom presets from a load of famous producers I've never heard of, but they sound great