Why become a member? ×

Instrument leads

SteveXFR

7 hours ago, Ed_S said:

...a well assembled combination of Van Damme cable and Neutrik jacks is very hard to beat... 

...I have had one Neutrik silent right-angle jack go bad on me...

I'm always game for trying to find even-more-flexible cable - can you recommend any specific brands / products?

My exact experiences: one Silent Neutrik from the first batches was DOA. 

Van Damme, Sommer, and Klotz. Functional, reliable, decent price.

Long ago I used to have two 100 m rolls of yellow and pink Gotham GAC, but have not seen it in years in local shops. The colours are visible in the stage and no one has tried to claim my funny coloured cables their's.

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I think so, wasn’t that his company  but not sure 🙂

Correct. Initially I traded under the brand name "bassic-bits" and then changed the company name to "Rock-Wire".  I am now fully retired from cable making but still active in playing bass so still very much around this Forum.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I have had one Neutrik silent right-angle jack go bad on me, but it has moving parts so I guess you have to accept that increased likelihood of failure is the price you pay for the extra feature.

I'm always game for trying to find even-more-flexible cable - can you recommend any specific brands / products?

Neutrik had a real problem with the initial batches of the right-angled Silent jack.  I had quite a few fail on customers leads and had to replace them.  I'd send a Jiffybag full of faulty/broken ones back to Neutrik and they'd send me replacements.  They eventually fixed it by gluing the parts together rather than relying on an interference fit.

I've used Vandamme, Klotz and Sommer cable.  The Vandamme is nice and light however I found that it tended to tangle or get tied in knots.  I always found Klotz AC110 a bit stiff especially when new.  My personal preference is Sommer LLX Low Loss, not to be confused with the XXL.  It doesn't tangle, doesn't remember it's been coiled and lays flat on the floor when you unwind it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, itu said:

Gotham GAC

Cheers - must admit it's not a brand I'd heard of! Looks like there's a company selling on Amazon that constructs with, amongst other things, Gotham GAC-1 Ultra Pro cable and Neutrik ends. I might give one of theirs a try just to get a feel for it.

26 minutes ago, obbm said:

Neutrik had a real problem with the initial batches of the right-angled Silent jack.  I had quite a few fail on customers leads and had to replace them.  I'd send a Jiffybag full of faulty/broken ones back to Neutrik and they'd send me replacements.  They eventually fixed it by gluing the parts together rather than relying on an interference fit.

I've used Vandamme, Klotz and Sommer cable.  The Vandamme is nice and light however I found that it tended to tangle or get tied in knots.  I always found Klotz AC110 a bit stiff especially when new.  My personal preference is Sommer LLX Low Loss, not to be confused with the XXL.  It doesn't tangle, doesn't remember it's been coiled and lays flat on the floor when you unwind it.

That's interesting - the silent jack that I had fail on me was actually bought recently (well.. if we just forget that the last two years are a thing - maybe 2018) and all the ones that I have from back when they were a new product are still alright. I guess there's no accounting for luck and you can never know the age of the stock a company is using to make their products, though.

I do like the sound of that LLX... and it seems that Amazon will also send me a Sommer made with LLX and Neutriks.

So that's £70 on two cables that I don't really need and had no intention of buying this morning! All in the interest of science. 🙂 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ed_S said:

I do like the sound of that LLX... and it seems that Amazon will also send me a Sommer made with LLX and Neutriks.

So that's £70 on two cables that I don't really need and had no intention of buying this morning! All in the interest of science. 🙂 

What length/connectors are you wanting?