Why become a member? ×

Instrument leads

SteveXFR

There was a time when it was mentioned somewhere , here or on ze web, that a certain make of cable had jack plugs that were slightly over-size, and when inserting in the jack socket, actually widened it, so future cables of other brands ended up being a baggy fit and causing connection problems

Possibly Planet Waves or  Whirlwind, but i'm totally guessing, as i cannot remember their name

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fleabag said:

There was a time when it was mentioned somewhere , here or on ze web, that a certain make of cable had jack plugs that were slightly over-size, and when inserting in the jack socket, actually widened it, so future cables of other brands ended up being a baggy fit and causing connection problems

Possibly Planet Waves or  Whirlwind, but i'm totally guessing, as i cannot remember their name

It was possibly Planet waves, as I have had that issue with them in the past.

• Like 1

The main difference I've found in price is how much abuse the cables are able to withstand.

I've got a very pretty fender heritage cable, not expensive, great for home use as it's not stiff and bulky but wouldn't last 5 mins on the road. 

Cables for stage use I get from Designacable, middle price range and built to last.

Just now, Crawford13 said:

There definitely is a difference at the low to mid price (mainly whether the cable is shielded), but like everything after a certain point the law of diminishing returns applies.

This ^^^

Look at big / famous bands and see what they're using - can't remember seeing anyone using Planet Waves and other brands which make exaggerated claims about their performance, especially all those featuring gold plated bits. It's all in the construction - if it's Van Damme cable and Neutrik Pro connectors then you're sorted.

Now obbm has retired, I've found the best cables for both quality and price are from these guys.

https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.php

If they're good enough for Stevie Winwood they'll do for me!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

Now obbm has retired...

I knew there would be times I would not enjoy the post-obbm cables world.  This is one of those times.

Having said that, ha ha, in your face, I have 4 obbm cables (a 2m, 2x3m and a 5m super deluxe one with muting jacks) - 6 if you count the speakon anaconda and the pedal interconnect he was also responsible for - and I fully expect that these will be the last cables I'll ever need.

I feel better now :D

• Like 2

Better quality cable and jacks make a difference to your signal path. 

There’s all sorts of variables in cable design capacitance/length/ frequency etc… So I’ve ended up making my own with van damme cable and neutron plugs. My main one has been running for nearly 30years, apart from whe n someone ran over it with an office chair, then I had to shorten it a bit. 😄

I’ve never had a problem with Fender though, when I’ve been caught short and had to use shop bought stuff.

• Like 1

Every Planet Waves cable I've ever had has failed. I steer well clear of all of their stuff now. 

I have two MXR cables and they're going strong, and just bought an MXR 'PRO' cable (dunno what the difference is - was on sale) and haven't had any problems thus far (touches wood!)

49 minutes ago, casapete said:

This ^^^

Look at big / famous bands and see what they're using - can't remember seeing anyone using Planet Waves and other brands which make exaggerated claims about their performance, especially all those featuring gold plated bits. It's all in the construction - if it's Van Damme cable and Neutrik Pro connectors then you're sorted.

Now obbm has retired, I've found the best cables for both quality and price are from these guys.

https://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.php

If they're good enough for Stevie Winwood they'll do for me!

I assume my OBBM cables will never fail. It’s been 8-9 years so far without fault.

• Like 4

I’ve been in bands for 45+ years, and my cables have only been made by ( in chronological order )

a) Whirlwind ( still got a couple that work great )

b) Award Session - Cleartone ( still going after 20 years or so)

c) OBBM ( got quite a few which will no doubt see me out)

I admit I also have a few of the old Fender ones that came with instruments in the 70’s - grey cable and screw on jack connectors. Use these at home and still fine after nearly 50 years!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I only use fender instrument leads they’ve served me well for years 

I used to use Fender but every single one has gone on me! For that reason I moved to Designacable, Neutrik connectors, Van Damme cable and all sorts of lovely colours, not had any problem with them whatsoever and very easy to spot on a cluttered stage. 

• Like 1

Leads, particularly long runs, can affect sound. Also the better ones are more durable, less susceptible to wear and crushing, and the connectors more resistant to being pulled off.

I use only Ernie Ball leads. You can get better, but at their price point theyre a brilliant balance between price and quality. I suspect theyll outlast me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I bought a Stagg jack to Neutrik speaker lead and the jack is about 1/16" short, so it doesn't latch in place and can vibrate out.

Cables can make a big difference to your sound. Cheap cables can add noise and lose high end, and often have cheap moulded jacks that are more likely to fail and are difficult to replace.

I think it's always worth investing in decent cables. I've used nothing but Spectraflex for the last 15 or 16 years and have never had an issue, even when they have been thrown in a rucksack or suitcase.

I’ve use various cables over the years and honestly I couldn’t tell a difference in sound. How long they last however is a very different story. As other people have said those Planet Waves cables never last long. The best ones I’ve found for me are Klotz; had the same few jack cables for years and they never go wrong 👍

• Like 2

I use Fender cables too. I've had this set (my first set) for about 7 years now and they're still going strong. 

What series is everybody using? I've gone for the deluxe series, b/c o fancy the black tweed outer.....

I'm also pretty tempted by the Ernie Ball leads, mostly because they come in a bright neon pink!

• Like 2