Why become a member? ×

Noisy P bass when not touching metal parts help needed!

Tjhooker

So...it seems clear that your bridge/string grounding is fine. To reduce noise when you're not touching earthed metal - check the shielding. Not simply ground continuity - is the shielding complete and how it is implemented.

And yes - SCR dimmers are a major source of noise so if you can avoid them then all the better.

And don't ignore noise sources that may be in an adjoining room or building. Or, from experience, even further away.

Note on this: Coated strings can be an issue with this.

• 1 year later...

I know this topic has gone into hibernation for a few years but it still intrigues me.

I have a well grounded P bass that hums slightly if I don't touch a metal component/strings (suggests shielding required) but the hum also disappears if the volume is fully down (makes sense) AND also when fully up (???!).

Any electromagnetic experts out there have an explanation for the max volume hum elimination behaviour?

1 hour ago, basscki said:

I know this topic has gone into hibernation for a few years but it still intrigues me.

I have a well grounded P bass that hums slightly if I don't touch a metal component/strings (suggests shielding required) but the hum also disappears if the volume is fully down (makes sense) AND also when fully up (???!).

Any electromagnetic experts out there have an explanation for the max volume hum elimination behaviour?

Is your bridge black in colour, or anything other than chrome or nickel? If so, the bridge is painted and thus not conducting. Solution is to scrap off some paint from where the ground wire touches the bridge with a craft knife or similar, so bare metal is exposed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In that case check that no part of the live wire from the pickup is touching the volume pot, it should only touch the lug. Or check the ground wire solder/connection from the pickup, see if it's connected properly, or if theres something not right with the solder joint.

On 31/05/2023 at 11:13, basscki said:

This is not unusual although it may be counter intuitive.

At either end of the pot' travel the source impedance "seen" by the following stage (eg amp / DI input) is at a minimum.

At mid point* of the resistance it is at the maximum.

Noise" pickup" increases with effective source impedance.

* assuming a log' type taper for volume pot' then this will not be the mid point of the physical travel,