Why become a member? ×

Fender Ultra P-Gas Attack

ern500evo

Having been relatively GAS free for quite a while, I stupidly had a browse through the basses for sale a little while back. I happened to click on @Lozz196 ad for his black P bass elite, big mistake! Since that day I have been constantly hunting out reviews and sound clips for the US Ultra P bass. To the point that I’m actually thinking that, in the new year, I may  thin the herd down and go for one of these. The sparkle white, tort and maple combo just looks awesome. I owned a 2005 USA P bass from new and tbh I didn’t really use it that much. I just can’t help but think that Ultra P, decent drive pedal, EBS TD650, Barefaced Big Twin 2 would be a mighty fine set up. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well..... I had never bought a bass new, as I always thought it was not too smart buying new, when you can buy nearly new at around half the price.

But I'd seen the Fender ads for the Elite Precision (which is more or less the same specs as the Ultra)and I was drawn in by the great reviews.

So, in 2018, I forked out £1,900 for a shiny, brand new, Fender Elite Precision.

It took a while for me to bond with it. The neck was too chunky for me, the EQ knobs didn't operate as smoothly as I expected and the P bass pickup didn't sound as good as the pickup on my MIJ P bass.

Once I changed the strings to light gauge Elixirs, things improved.

On the plus side, it's a very versatile bass and has many EQ options but personally I prefer the sound and playability of my MIJ Precision and my USA Fender Deluxe.

But if you do buy an Ultra.....remember to buy used and, if you can, try it out before you buy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gjones said:

Well..... I had never bought a bass new, as I always thought it was not too smart buying new, when you can buy nearly new at around half the price.

But I'd seen the Fender ads for the Elite Precision (which is more or less the same specs as the Ultra)and I was drawn in by the great reviews.

So, in 2018, I forked out £1,900 for a shiny, brand new, Fender Elite Precision.

It took a while for me to bond with it. The neck was too chunky for me, the EQ knobs didn't operate as smoothly as I expected and the P bass pickup didn't sound as good as the pickup on my MIJ P bass.

Once I changed the strings to light gauge Elixirs, things improved.

On the plus side, it's a very versatile bass and has many EQ options but personally I prefer the sound and playability of my MIJ Precision and my USA Fender Deluxe.

But if you do buy an Ultra.....remember to buy used and, if you can, try it out before you buy.

There doesn’t seem to be a great deal of them around on the used market, not that I’m in any great rush tbh. Any purchase would definitely be in the new year. Cheapest I’ve seen the white/tort/maple model is £1769. 

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

For a very versatile bass I’d definitely recommend these. Ultimately I’m just a Precision man, so the versatility was wasted on me hence moving it on, but if I were a depping or studio musician this would be the ideal bass imo. 

That’s kinda where I’m at, thinking that the versatility may be perfect for the covers work I’m doing at the moment