Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision - with Jazz neck?

Freddi375

I have two versions of the Deluxe Active P-Bass, one is the 9V preamp version which I bought as my first Fender back in 04/05. I also got the newer 18v preamp version more recently (2015 I think) Both are excellent, the newer model has a more modern flatter neck profile and an active/passive switch. Both great basses. The newest version of these (Player Plus series) has had a bit of a price hike so I would definitely scout the used market. 

I do also own more than one shirt. Promise. 

64315D9F-5FD1-4295-8300-75C725F5ED93.jpeg

FE9627A5-27B8-41ED-9D7F-E09BAAA98696.jpeg

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 26/11/2021 at 19:59, theyellowcar said:

I have two versions of the Deluxe Active P-Bass, one is the 9V preamp version which I bought as my first Fender back in 04/05. I also got the newer 18v preamp version more recently (2015 I think) Both are excellent, the newer model has a more modern flatter neck profile and an active/passive switch. Both great basses. The newest version of these (Player Plus series) has had a bit of a price hike so I would definitely scout the used market. 

I do also own more than one shirt. Promise. 

64315D9F-5FD1-4295-8300-75C725F5ED93.jpeg

FE9627A5-27B8-41ED-9D7F-E09BAAA98696.jpeg

I have a 2019 Precision Deluxe (Mexican) and it is a great bass with the J neck. Lots of tonal variation available too.  Well worth considering in my humble opinion.

Didn't it used to be called an A Width neck, and be available on request from the factory?

Not that I'm suggesting it is now.

However, the Maruszczyk Jake is worth looking at - you can order them with a 38mm or 40mm neck, and they come up new and used with either every now and then.

Edited by Vin Venal

11 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Didn't it used to be called an A Width neck, and be available on request from the factory?

Not that I'm suggesting it is now.

Yes that’s right - not sure it’s called that now but you can likely order it in custom shop instruments 

As a teenager (late '70s), a school friend of mine went up to London (probably Denmark Street/Charring Cross Road) and bought a black Fender Precision (it had to be black, although strangely he sanded off the finish later). 

Where it gets interesting here was that he wanted some combination of body colour/neck material that wasn't off the shelf, so the shop swapped necks from other basses to suit.  He decided he didn't like the Precision neck at all and the shop suggested a Jazz neck, which after a but of fettling was fitted to the Precision body on the spot.  This is what he left the shop with.

I'm always a little in awe that the shop went so far to satisfy a (young) customer's needs.  I also wonder whether there's a late 70s Jazz Bass with a Precision neck in circulation anywhere!

Edited by NancyJohnson
Speling, innit.

32 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

As a teenager (late '70s), a school friend of mine went up to London (probably Denmark Street/Charring Cross Road) and bought a black Fender Precision (it had to be black, although strangely he sanded off the finish later). 

Where it gets interesting here was that he wanted some combination of body colour/neck material that wasn't off the shelf, so the shop swapped necks from other basses to suit.  He decided he didn't like the Precision neck at all and the shop suggested a Jazz neck, which after a but of fettling was fitted to the Precision body on the spot.  This is what he left the shop with.

I'm always a little in awe that the shop went so far to satisfy a (young) customer's needs.  I also wonder whether there's a late 70s Jazz Bass with a Precision neck in circulation anywhere!

If you’re editing for spelling, it’s Charing Cross not Charring Cross 😂

• Haha 1

On 27/11/2021 at 06:54, OzMike said:

What about an Aerodyne Jazz? I have one, and only use the P pickup (recently updated with the Geezer Butler P/j set). It's light, and the neck is a 'jazz' version which is almost identical in feel to my early 2000s Mexico jazz.

tnpfd7x7it6sottx8aet.jpg

I put Di Marzios in mine, the jazz pup still retains that jazz bridge tone but is noiseless at its a humbucker. However I almost never use it. Incidentally the P pup is precisely 1/4" forward of the traditional P position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparky Mark said:

If we're allowing PJ as options then I'll suggest the 90s Japanese Precision Lyte. It's lighter and smaller bodied than a standard P and has a slim J like neck.

20220509_122502.thumb.jpg.d5c398e78114b69531e3377849802cb0.jpg

That was my first thought. I remember them coming out, not long after I started playing. I would have loved one.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 21:58, Reggaebass said:

The Nate mendel P has a jazz width nut , but I think it only comes in one colour 

The Nate Mendel has a slightly wider nut than most Jazz basses, but still thinner than most P's. It also is a much chunkier B profile, it's a great sounding and well made bass. I was expecting a "Jazz" neck from other people's descriptions,but it's very much it's own thing. 

Funny I've just bought a Yamaha BB 1024 which has a great P tone and It has a similar neck to the Nate.

Edited by lee650
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

If we're allowing PJ as options then I'll suggest the 90s Japanese Precision Lyte. It's lighter and smaller bodied than a standard P and has a slim J like neck.

20220509_122502.thumb.jpg.d5c398e78114b69531e3377849802cb0.jpg

This was also going to be my suggestion.
I have one, which I bought from the marketplace on here. Lovely bass - lightweight, with a slender neck. Though I do sometimes wish the pickups were passive, with the standard VVT controls.
If I haven't picked up the bass in a while, it instantly feels lovely to play - but I have to spend a while tweaking the EQ. The "pan control" (or is it a pickup balance control?) takes some tweaking depending on what each venue is like, acoustically. I can just dial in the P pickup.... but I like a hint of the Jazz pickup in the mix too. Hmm, perhaps I should have a word with our very own KioGon about this?

I was also going to suggest putting together a Bitsa of your own choices. I've got a Squier PJ body (Indonesian, I think) and a Squier Block & Bound Jazz neck. It's a sort of knock-about bass that I may take on pub jams / trips etc and which currently resides in my office (for those times when I feel like a noodle during a rare lunchbreak).

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve now gone down the route of a custom Shuker build to get a 38.5mm nut width on a P bass. 

That will be a very nice, well built and unique bass!  Look forward to seeing some pictures!

2 hours ago, lee650 said:

The Nate Mendel has a slightly wider nut than most Jazz basses, but still thinner than most P's. It also is a much chunkier B profile, it's a great sounding and well made bass. I was expecting a "Jazz" neck from other people's descriptions,but it's very much it's own thing. 

The Roadworn Mike Dirnt I just bought fits a similar bill. Slimmer than a standard P at the nut, but somehow still chunky in every other dimension. It’s unlike anything else I’ve played before. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quatschmacher said:

I’ve now gone down the route of a custom Shuker build to get a 38.5mm nut width on a P bass. 

I've got a Shuker JJB Signature P on the way with a verrrry slim Jazz-width neck (based on my favourite Shuker neck)...heresy possibly, but hey, I'm paying the piper... 😀

1 hour ago, Marc S said:

This was also going to be my suggestion.
I have one, which I bought from the marketplace on here. Lovely bass - lightweight, with a slender neck. Though I do sometimes wish the pickups were passive, with the standard VVT controls.
If I haven't picked up the bass in a while, it instantly feels lovely to play - but I have to spend a while tweaking the EQ. The "pan control" (or is it a pickup balance control?) takes some tweaking depending on what each venue is like, acoustically. I can just dial in the P pickup.... but I like a hint of the Jazz pickup in the mix too. Hmm, perhaps I should have a word with our very own KioGon about this?

I was also going to suggest putting together a Bitsa of your own choices. I've got a Squier PJ body (Indonesian, I think) and a Squier Block & Bound Jazz neck. It's a sort of knock-about bass that I may take on pub jams / trips etc and which currently resides in my office (for those times when I feel like a noodle during a rare lunchbreak).

Strange to think that depending on your definition of "vintage" the Precision Lyte (1989-95) now qualifies as a vintage instrument. My example is all original and being a Fender nerd I'd never change the electronics. I actually like the original pre amp on these; the bass and treble cut/boost being much more subtle than most. The approximate 7lbs weight will possibly make this my old age bass alongside my Mustang. 

5 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Strange to think that depending on your definition of "vintage" the Precision Lyte (1989-95) now qualifies as a vintage instrument. My example is all original and being a Fender nerd I'd never change the electronics. I actually like the original pre amp on these; the bass and treble cut/boost being much more subtle than most. The approximate 7lbs weight will possibly make this my old age bass alongside my Mustang. 

Yes, definitely agree on it being a good "old age" bass, I use my Lyte where I know I'm in for a 3 set gig, or a long haul session.
I do like the pre-amp, and the sounds I get from the Lyte - but it sometimes means more fiddling....
The simplicity of the VVT arrangement never seems to fail me - it's just that it's my favourite arrangement, and I sometimes wish it was the way the electrics worked on the Lyte

Yes, they are now "vintage" instruments, relatively. You don't see them come up for sale so often nowadays.