Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ad - a penny for your thoughts...

wateroftyne

For me the general tone would be a big red flag. I mean, when I set up a band last year I didn't advertise for "drummers who can play IN TIME and get to rehearsal ON TIME and get set up QUICKLY and don't then go for a fag as soon as you've already had FORTY MINUTES OF REHEARSAL TIME JUST TO GET THERE AND GET YOU SET UP and doesn't HOG the band EMAIL AND TURN AWAY GIGS BECAUSE YOU DONT THINK YOUR TWO MATES WILL GO THERE and WONT DISMISS POPULAR 80S COVERS SUGGESTIONS JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT and DONT GET A FEW PINTS DOWN THEN BOOK AND ADVERTISE A GIG ON FACEBOOK THAT YOU KNOW SOME OF THE BAND CANT ACTUALLY PLAY IN..."

There are other ways of weeding out people who won't be suitable quite quickly without coming across as a n0b.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, uk_lefty said:

For me the general tone would be a big red flag. I mean, when I set up a band last year I didn't advertise for "drummers who can play IN TIME and get to rehearsal ON TIME and get set up QUICKLY and don't then go for a fag as soon as you've already had FORTY MINUTES OF REHEARSAL TIME JUST TO GET THERE AND GET YOU SET UP and doesn't HOG the band EMAIL AND TURN AWAY GIGS BECAUSE YOU DONT THINK YOUR TWO MATES WILL GO THERE and WONT DISMISS POPULAR 80S COVERS SUGGESTIONS JUST BECAUSE YOU DONT WANT TO DO IT and DONT GET A FEW PINTS DOWN THEN BOOK AND ADVERTISE A GIG ON FACEBOOK THAT YOU KNOW SOME OF THE BAND CANT ACTUALLY PLAY IN..."

There are other ways of weeding out people who won't be suitable quite quickly without coming across as a n0b.

That last sentence sums it up for me. Potential band members are auditioning the band and its members too. I wouldn't want to be in a band with someone who seems to be just that - a member.

• Like 3

Can't you just turn comments off o Facebook? My last job, part of the application procedure for developers (I wasn't) was a series of written questions. On the cover page it said do not answer question 4. Knowing now what a kn0b the guy was who ran the company and wrote the questions I'd run a mile from anyone advertising for band members in this manner.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TimR said:

The other problem is that people read things with their emotions, not the emotions of the person who wrote them. We see that here a lot - "You don't need to be agressive!" when no one is actully being aggressive. Just the reader is having a bad day. 

That's a lot of people in this thread having a bad day then, including me (who most definitely isn't).

If they were a bit brighter they might have said ''Only email enquiries will be registered, no FB, no comments''.

Anyone not reading to the end is eliminated. Anyone ignoring the instruction is eliminated.

Anyone who can be arsed opening up their email to reply gets a shot at the gig. Those players will be the ones best suited to playing ball in a cover band. Surely one will be a good fit.

That's the logic without the 'tude.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

That's literally all that would have been required. The rest of it was completely unnecessary (IMO).

The rest of the post was to set expectation and the pecking order. I would wager the person posting is the guy that has their name on the contracts and needs to establish a team of reliable players.

Im not saying that the post is good or bad, just offering up a view as to why it’s been posted like that.

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The rest of the post was to set expectation and the pecking order. I would wager the person posting is the guy that has their name on the contracts and needs to establish a team of reliable players.

Im not saying that the post is good or bad, just offering up a view as to why it’s been posted like that.

I can't help thinking there's a lot of reliable players wouldn't respond to the ad based on the last paragraph, which is a shame - for both him and them.

• Like 1

Let's put the post in context. That advert is not for a pub band that gets together for the odd gig. It's for a touring theatre show with a lot of work which will earn you about £20-25K.  If someone can't read and reply to the ad properly, you're not going to expect them to read the gig details and itinerary correctly either are you?  The guy running the show seems to have is act together, as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Let's put the post in context. That advert is not for a pub band that gets together for the odd gig. It's for a touring theatre show with a lot of work which will earn you about £20-25K.  If someone can't read and reply to the ad properly, you're not going to expect them to read the gig details and itinerary correctly either are you?  The guy running the show seems to have is act together, as far as I'm concerned.

I still feel it's a pretty arbitrary 'first test' for potential applicants. You'd think their personality and playing skills would be more of a deciding factor.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I still feel it's a pretty arbitrary 'first test' for potential applicants. You'd think their personality and playing skills would be more of a deciding factor.

I think it rather depends on the number of applicants expected. For a lucrative gig there would be no shortage and the 'kinda abusive' filter only reduces the workload on getting down to the audition list.

I haven't seen the listing so any assumption the gig is lucrative is based on previous postings.

Edited by Downunderwonder

10 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm sure they will be the deciding factor, but why would they waste time auditioning someone who can't even read the advert properly? It shows them that you can't be trusted to read all the supplied information, and could end up missing important details down the line.  It doesn’t matter if you can play like Pino if you miss your emails and turn up late for soundcheck. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

When? When I posted this thread about it?

Ah no. You were quoting someone else.

But I don't see anyone here feeling upset about the post, just saying that they wouldn't apply. My point still stands; they're reading things into the post that may not be there and certainly may not be the intention of the writer. And the post is short and direct as it's social media and you need to get your message across quickly, before someone posting a meme about a puppy distracts your audience. 

Which is my point, people will put their emotional spin on the written word and the writer doesn't always have control over that. If you're writing a business email, then it needs to be in unemotional language, if you're targeting a few specific people. If you're writing something on social media that's going to get 1000s of views, you may not be bothered how it comes across to non business people. But people on social media tend to be there for non business purposes. That's one of the problems with using social media for business. 

Edited by TimR

50 minutes ago, Doddy said:

By putting that last bit in, they are literally targetting people not reading the ad properly and helping them apply.  Its self defeating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

By putting that last bit in, they are literally targetting people not reading the ad properly and helping them apply.  Its self defeating.

They're clarifying their statement. Because people on social media don't read things fully. No one does. Whoever wrote the ad knows that and has presumably experience of that from previous ads. It's a wise corollary. 

30 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

The ad poster could've easily framed it in a less condescending manner. 

I don't get why anyone would feel it condescending. It's not aimed at anyone directly in response to anything they've done.

If you feel its personally aimed at you, take heart, it's really not, scroll past.  

I think in that context it's fine in principle but isn't written in a professional way which is ironic seeing as they are basically saying 'we're very professional - you must be too', other workplace adverts would just say 'please apply via email' or 'we only accept applications via email'. 

If they really want to weed out the people that don't read the instructions then they shouldn't make a big deal about it, just put 'reply via email' and ignore responses sent by Facebook etc.  

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1