Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ad - a penny for your thoughts...

wateroftyne

6 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Going back to the original post title: "A penny for your thoughts" you've got around £1.02p currently.....

Good point and my assistant in my office is still wanting for my penny to be handed over, @wateroftyne but maybe you don't give a penny like HP here😉

23 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm certainly not offended, but it doesn't sound like an environment I'd want to be part of. If he'd changed the wording slightly, maybe I would.*

*Again, the gig isn't for me anyway, so it's a moot point

Weekend warrior or not, if you told me you've never mis-read something in a hurry, I'd suggest you were being economical with the truth.

If I was looking for a local band to join for fun and a few beer tokens I might not read the advert fully before messaging them, if it was an interview for my actual job I'd read it ten times over then get someone else to read the application and my reply just to be certain.

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, fleabag said:

I think that ad is brilliant.  It's non vague, to the point.  I like a tight ship , too.   It's the way to get things done, even in a pub band

Same here, if I was joining another band in future this is the sort I'd be after, no messing about. Learn your parts, turn up on time with decent kit, play and get paid.

I've done my share of practicing with bands that will never get out of the rehearsal studio with one member that hasn't learnt the parts they were going to learn last week, and the week before all to get a freebie charity gigs for "exposure". 

Edited by stingrayPete1977
  • Like 2

Agreed.  I've been in such a band in the past.  Sadly, just the one band.  Maybe it was easier because it was a 3 piece.  Anyways, we rehearsed  once a week without fail  ( emergancies accepted ) and were gigging , from scratch , including me and my pal finding the 3rd musician, in 3 months flat

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Same here, if I was joining another band in future this is the sort I'd be after, no messing about. Learn your parts, turn up on time with decent kit, play and get paid.

I've done my share of practicing with bands that will never get out of the rehearsal studio with one member that hasn't learnt the parts they were going to learn last week, and the week before all to get a free charity freebie gigs for "exposure". 

I'm lucky, I guess. I'm only in bands with organised, switched-on people which formed without relying on adverts like this 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm lucky, I guess. I'm only in bands with organised, switched-on people which formed without relying on adverts like this 😄

the guy forming that band is probably not looking for someone with your experience WoT, they probably want someone good, but young and willing to do what they are told for not as good pay and conditions as you would want.... 

8 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

the guy forming that band is probably not looking for someone with your experience WoT, they probably want someone good, but young and willing to do what they are told for not as good pay and conditions as you would want.... 

It's for a touring theatre show that pays £2-250 each a night with 100+ shows booked.  So, decent pay and conditions.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I'd say that they will pay the right money for the people that can do as they are reasonably asked.

• Like 1

On 24/11/2021 at 19:15, wateroftyne said:

That's interesting.

It instantly got my back up - not because I can't take instruction, but because it just sounds like a really d1ckish way make a point. But others aren't bothered by it.

Different strokes, and all that. 

That's it.

It's not so much what they say, but how. 

• Like 1

It does give potential applicants who might not email a heads-up. The fact that there is still one person who tells the recruiter to look at his facebook wall for his might videos shows that there are still some who can't grasp it.

Shame it's in the north-east, might have been tempted otherwise.

We get the same. Every week we ask for members to email photos and stories in for the weekly newsletter and press release. 

We still get people complaining it's the same people who get included in the newsletter and local paper and asking why haven't they been mentioned.

When they're told that we didn't receive their email, they then say they posted on Facebook...

Often these are intelligent people who just aren't interested in putting in the small amount effort that's been asked to save one (very busy) person trolling through multiple places looking for information in order to get a press release together for a deadline. 

They then take offence at being told they have to email, like the others who were included, managed to do. 

• Like 1