Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ad - a penny for your thoughts...

wateroftyne

8 minutes ago, TimR said:

I don't get why anyone would feel it condescending. It's not aimed at anyone directly in response to anything they've done.

If you feel its personally aimed at you, take heart, it's really not, scroll past.  

Thing is, it's not aimed at me 'cos I would have emailed the guy as he requested. But then the last paragraph, would put me right off.

From what I can see:

• He's helping some of the applicants he's trying to filter out, by pointing out exactly what they need to do to pass the first test
  • He's putting off some some of applicants he's trying to attract, because of his attitude.

Remind me again how this is a good approach? 😄

Interesting discussion, tho.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

He's helping some of the applicants he's trying to filter out,

That's an assumption being made here. 

As someone who's organised lots of events, people miss things you write on social media. It's the nature of the medium.

18 minutes ago, TimR said:

They're clarifying their statement. Because people on social media don't read things fully. No one does. Whoever wrote the ad knows that and has presumably experience of that from previous ads. It's a wise corollary. 

But again, the suggestion is they're trying to bypass people who they see as undesirable.  Giving them a heads up negates that entirely.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Thing is, it's not aimed at me 'cos I would have emailed the guy as he requested. But then the last paragraph, would put me right off.

From what I can see:

• He's helping some of the applicants he's trying to filter out, by pointing out exactly what they need to do to pass the first test
  • He's putting off some some of applicants he's trying to attract, because of his attitude.

Remind me again how this is a good approach? 😄

Interesting discussion, tho.

Absolutely this.

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

Well done, you! I think quite a lot of us here will have done that too.

So you'll be aware at the high number of people who don't read the instructions properly and ask questions that you've already answered in the final instructions email that you sent to all participants. 

4 minutes ago, Kev said:

But again, the suggestion is they're trying to bypass people who they see as undesirable.  Giving them a heads up negates that entirely.

Maybe they're trying to weed out people who take offence at having things clarified to them? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I think we can agree that - at best - the approach is polarising.

That's the point of it, a weekend warrior that wants to spend the next three years rehearsing isn't what they want, someone that reads their messages, learns the parts before rehearsal and does as they are told is what they want, if that's not you then don't apply. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

if that's not you then don't apply. 

And certainly don't take offence over something that's not even targeted at you. 

That's what I find odd. 

It's an interesting debate, but not sure I'm going to invest emotionally in a few words on an advert for something I'm not going to apply for. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TimR said:

And certainly don't take offence over something that's not even targeted at you. 

I'm certainly not offended, but it doesn't sound like an environment I'd want to be part of. If he'd changed the wording slightly, maybe I would.*

*Again, the gig isn't for me anyway, so it's a moot point

7 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

That's the point of it, a weekend warrior that wants to spend the next three years rehearsing isn't what they want, someone that reads their messages, learns the parts before rehearsal and does as they are told is what they want, if that's not you then don't apply. 

Weekend warrior or not, if you told me you've never mis-read something in a hurry, I'd suggest you were being economical with the truth.

I'd probably argue that the attention that you'd read something as somebody that is hired in a professional capacity as opposed to a weekend warrior is vastly different. If you f**k up in a professional capacity, then the word spreads and you'll find yourself finding less professional work.

They say 6 degrees of separation. In the professional music world, I reckon its more like 2. 

• Like 1

The other thing about Facebook is you can't embed email addresses. 

Default behaviour would be for someone to click on something. 

To email someone you have to copy and then paste into an email client. 

Easier to message or write in comments. 

Again that's automatic and now programmed into human behaviour on social media. 

Edited by TimR

1 minute ago, EBS_freak said:

I'd probably argue that the attention that you'd read something as somebody that is hired in a professional capacity as opposed to a weekend warrior is vastly different. If you f**k up in a professional capacity, then the word spreads and you'll find yourself finding less professional work.

They say 6 degrees of separation. In the professional music world, I reckon its more like 2. 

"Ah, hello Mr. Palladino. No, you didn't get the gig. You hit reply on the post, didn't you? You idiot."

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Ah, hello Mr. Palladino. No, you didn't get the gig. You hit reply on the post, didn't you? You idiot."

I suspect he has an agent who people contact if they want him to work on their project. 

At that level people are personally invited to audition.