Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ad - a penny for your thoughts...

wateroftyne

Nope, no chance.

All they had to do was silently have that rule and only respond to those who emailed.  So theyve defeated the point of their vetting by helping people who may have gone ahead and not read it properly.  Morons.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If it was an originals band I wouldn't go anywhere near it. I don't really think 'following instructions' should be a big part of expressing creativity and don't want a singer telling me to play 5 minutes of root notes.

If it was covers I probably wouldn't go anywhere near it tbh.

If it was session work or where I'd just be playing along for someone else's show then I might check it out. But it's probably approach it thinking the person is a knob. (I'd also have to be a professional bassist, which I am not 😁)

Edited by Jonesy
  • Like 1

Sounds like it's for a job. You'll be employed as a bass player, to play bass lines given to you.

I guess they get a lot of people who want to have some kind of input into how the band is run, deciding which gigs they want to play, what they're going to wear to the gig, and what songs the band should play. 

When I joined my current band, I'd had enough of doing the above, and just wanted to turn up and play. Has worked for several years now, every now and again I'll make a song suggestion, and only once have I packed up my gear mid rehearsal and told the band to call me when they've sorted themselves out. 

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Nope, no chance.

All they had to do was silently have that rule and only respond to those who emailed.  So theyve defeated the point of their vetting by helping people who may have gone ahead and not read it properly.  Morons.

I was thinking exactly this and was wondering how to word it. Thank you 🙏

Depends - they might have a really clear idea of how to find the right person - from getting an email to sending a pre-writer survey form and faq that then returns to them as a spreadsheet then shortlisting from that, inviting to audition via pre filled out emails …

if you’re set up for that then 20 messages on FB from every Tom, Richard or Jaco in the area asking their own random questions or wanting to know different things - or in some cases just waste your time… 

4 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Picture the scene. You see a 'Bass player wanted' ad for a decent-looking gig on social media... but it has this at the end of it:

Would you still apply? Just curious...

(FWIW, I'm not interested in the gig)

Short answer: Nope, would not apply.

Ok, with regard to your offer of "a penny for your thoughts" (title of your post).

Now that you got my thoughts, could you please go to my office and hand over the penny to my assistant? PLEASE NOTE one of the big parts of you keeping your promise is following instructions, it says 'hand over the penny'. If you try to pay me via paypal or credit card or any other means, then you are not the right person for this bass forum. Many Thanks.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Short answer: Nope, would not apply.

Ok, with regard to your offer of "a penny for your thoughts" (title of your post).

Now that you got my thoughts, could you please go to my office and hand over the penny to my assistant? PLEASE NOTE one of the big parts of you keeping your promise is following instructions, it says 'hand over the penny'. If you try to pay me via paypal or credit card or any other means, then you are not the right person for this bass forum. Many Thanks.

TBH mate I’m not sure you would like the colour of WoTs money - it’s close in colour to clown vomit - but with variations of “copper turd” and “newkie brown puke” added in

• Haha 1

The problem with social media is people are usually multitasking and don't read things properly. Reiterating that it's important that people email is sensible. 

I've lost count of the number of times I've emailed out important event details to participants. Out of 500 people I will get a handful replying to the wrong email address, asking for details that are already in the email, the list is endless. 

The other problem is that people read things with their emotions, not the emotions of the person who wrote them. We see that here a lot - "You don't need to be agressive!" when no one is actully being aggressive. Just the reader is having a bad day. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

That's interesting.

It instantly got my back up - not because I can't take instruction, but because it just sounds like a really d1ckish way make a point. But others aren't bothered by it.

Different strokes, and all that. 

To me it just says they are looking for someone to do the job rather than be a bunch of mates in a band that never gets beyond the practice room. 

• Like 4

This sounds like somebody that is sick of being d1cked around by musicians that can’t/won’t follow simple instructions. Chances are, the poster has sunk a lot of cash into the project and is sick of people being unreliable.

At least they are sifting early. If you aren’t the person for the job, move on. If you take offence, move on. If you understand the motives that lie behind this, it actually sounds like a good prospect - somebody that likes to run a tight ship. Tight ships are largely successful and get the gigs that others complain they don’t get.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 3