Why become a member? ×

Musician wanted ad - a penny for your thoughts...

wateroftyne

Picture the scene. You see a 'Bass player wanted' ad for a decent-looking gig on social media... but it has this at the end of it:

Please email our office at [email protected] for more information or pass this email along to anyone you think might be interested.
PLEASE NOTE one of the big parts of this job is following instructions, it says 'email'. If you message through facebook or post a comment / link instead of emailing then you are not the right person for this position. Many Thanks.

Would you still apply? Just curious...

(FWIW, I'm not interested in the gig)

Edited by wateroftyne

From a lot of stories I have read over the years, this was standard behaviour for professional MD's looking for musicians. You would be told what exact instrument to bring (black P bass etc) and exactly what to wear.

But if it's for a non pro band it seems a bit OTT.

Just now, Crawford13 said:

From a lot of stories I have read over the years, this was standard behaviour for professional MD's looking for musicians. You would be told what exact instrument to bring (black P bass etc) and exactly what to wear.

I get that, but it's more the wording of the ad that I'm intrigued about.

One the one hand, yes, it comes across as rude, but I totally get it. The amount of musicians out there who can't follow instructions/process the most basic requests/suggestions has led them to this (and led me to resign myself to the life of a perpetual bedroom warrior).

EDIT: The more I think about it, surely it would have made more sense to NOT reiterate the instruction. Instead of filtering out those who don't listen, they've given them a free pass. Now they're going to hire someone who needs everything explained to them twice, in all caps.

Edited by Rexel Matador
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Rexel Matador said:

One the one hand, yes, it comes across as rude, but I totally get it. The amount of musicians out there who can't follow instructions/process the most basic requests/suggestions has led them to this (and led me to resign myself to the life of a perpetual bedroom warrior).

That's a little bit sad... literally because people won't do as you tell them?

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

That's a little bit sad... literally because people won't do as you tell them?

Ok ok, it's not as bad as all that. I've just got frustrated over the years by band members, particularly drummers, who don't seem to be interested in paying a little more attention to detail to get everything tightened up and doing the material justice.

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Yup. I have no problem with that whatsoever. That's exactly the kind of thing that boils my p#ss. 

I think I'd fit in that band perfectly. 

Are they called "The Pedants"?

"Some Pedants" surely. The Pedants suggests they are all the pedants, and they can't be. I'm one, for a start.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I saw that ad on Facebook too. I didn't think that part of the post was a big deal. You see a lot of posts asking for people to email, and the comments are filled with comments saying they've PM'd or quoting their interest. It's an easy way to weed out people who don't read the info properly. Kind of like the Van Halen M&M thing.

• Like 2