Why become a member? ×

Bass player legend

P j

Lots of people are always waxing lyrical about flea , mark king , Louis Johnson , Stanley Clark  , jack Bruce , jaco  so on and so forth ,whilst these bassist are highly praised and worthy , little or no fuss is made of the late great Andy Fraser , former free bassist lyricist .

Being a fan of his playing for many years his sound and style of playing is so clever and melodic not only carries the beat but on occasion takes the bass to another level as a lead instrument, with himself paying tribute to binky mckenzie as a driving force to becoming a better player after soaking up his influence, when you hear him lay down bass lines from such a young age of 15 and making such sophisticated recordings of a mature standard,

it makes you wonder how many 15 year olds to today could muster these sort of skills , answers… not many . so what I am saying  is simple this is a life skill of shear intelligence as a bassist he is so over looked for such a innovative style , dare I say more famous bassist get all the credits , so I am putting out there a bassist is not all about slap slap slap yes of course I love it as well , but don’t pass by and forgot the lesser spoke about genius that was mr Andy Fraser , check him out and pass on the word for the next bassist talent to see how it’s done . Pj 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, P j said:

Lots of people are always waxing lyrical about flea , mark king , Louis Johnson , Stanley Clark  , jack Bruce , jaco  so on and so forth ,whilst these bassist are highly praised and worthy , little or no fuss is made of the late great Andy Fraser , former free bassist lyricist .

Being a fan of his playing for many years his sound and style of playing is so clever and melodic not only carries the beat but on occasion takes the bass to another level as a lead instrument, with himself paying tribute to binky mckenzie as a driving force to becoming a better player after soaking up his influence, when you hear him lay down bass lines from such a young age of 15 and making such sophisticated recordings of a mature standard,

it makes you wonder how many 15 year olds to today could muster these sort of skills , answers… not many . so what I am saying  is simple this is a life skill of shear intelligence as a bassist he is so over looked for such a innovative style , dare I say more famous bassist get all the credits , so I am putting out there a bassist is not all about slap slap slap yes of course I love it as well , but don’t pass by and forgot the lesser spoke about genius that was mr Andy Fraser , check him out and pass on the word for the next bassist talent to see how it’s done . Pj 

I'm guessing it's because Free have never been a big band, in terms of album sales, and beyond Alright Now non-fans probably don't know much about them. Lots of people have heard of Flea partly because his band have shifted over 60 million albums and partly because he wears his undercrackers on stage or a sock over his lad.

• Haha 1