Why become a member? ×

Did I just get fake Elixir nanowebs? Please help check

BabyBlueSound

Could someone post a macro of their Elixir nanoweb strings, do you think I have been scammed?

I bought a set of cheap ones on eBay and might have been scammed. I do not see nor feel the nanoweb coating at all, although I'm not sure how visible would it be to the naked eye. I should be able to see it at least a little in the gaps between the rounds, no? I have only seen Elixirs years ago when their coating technology was very different. First photo comparing it to some regular strings, rest is just macros where I'm trying to catch a glimpse of the coat from various macro angles but without success.

875615986_Screenshot2021-11-23122607.thumb.png.0593197d0f8beb4dfecf4333f4438440.png

IMG_20211123_122207.thumb.jpg.8b87e4870d18da4962b5967e2d1e6978.jpg

IMG_20211123_121923.thumb.jpg.cf8f67df51cf79940451fa8a29ee9e52.jpgIMG_20211123_121910.thumb.jpg.fbf8100b2662a72557dfd67544607fed.jpgIMG_20211123_121813.thumb.jpg.e2cc27f8ed9b37f97b4ca03f605978c2.jpg

IMG_20211123_120504.thumb.jpg.13f39273683125df5e9d0741f6c55db1.jpgIMG_20211123_120029.thumb.jpg.3b24c6200b3a8ce0ec04eda13ab961dc.jpg

IMG_20211123_115949.thumb.jpg.c5d4c5610039f4f4ccd3e0de21eb7dfa.jpg

IMG_20211123_121903.jpg

Can you show the box, front and back?

You can't see the coating between the windings because the coating is applied to the wound string as a whole. Other brands coat the winding before it is wound around the core, which doesn't work at all IME.

I got a set of fakes from an internet-based vendor before. The windings at the ball end were the real giveaway. The brass ball was different from the real thing, as was the winding pattern. The packaging was low quality too. The vendor did not question when I went back to them complaining they sold me fakes.

As Ped says, post pics of the packaging too.

Just now, Mudpup said:

How much were they? If it looks too good to be true applies here…..

It was £27, some eBayer had like a single set, was not a "vendor" per se nor one of the suspiciously cheap ones, where some Chinese vendors are selling them for like £10 - I can't imagine those being real.

1 minute ago, ped said:

They look legit to me. How do they sound? I think they feel very slightly 'slicker' than uncoated rounds. I love them. How much of a bargain were they?

Thanks, good to see they seem legit. I don't know how do they sound yet, as I still got my black tapes on. But will definitely give it a go in the next few days when I'll have the time to properly re-string.

I only thought I should be seeing something with the naked eye as I've seen a few photos online like this, but I definitely can't see such a film neither with my naked eye nor with the crappy macro camera: 

nano.jpg.692a1d154bcd0ae56f89e7ea629968ab.jpg

2 minutes ago, whave said:

It was £27, some eBayer had like a single set, was not a "vendor" per se nor one of the suspiciously cheap ones, where some Chinese vendors are selling them for like £10 - I can't imagine those being real.

Thanks, good to see they seem legit. I don't know how do they sound yet, as I still got my black tapes on. But will definitely give it a go in the next few days when I'll have the time to properly re-string.

I only thought I should be seeing something with the naked eye as I've seen a few photos online like this, but I definitely can't see such a film neither with my naked eye nor with the crappy macro camera: 

nano.jpg.692a1d154bcd0ae56f89e7ea629968ab.jpg

I've been playing them for as long as I can remember and I've never 'seen' the coating - maybe some pictures show the older polyweb coating which IIRC was thicker. £27 sounds like a decent price rather than a total scam bargain, but I suppose time might tell if they last a advertised...

I'll take a pic of mine later - they came direct from Elixir so it'll be interesting to compare.

They changed the packaging to include the chrome sticker 'seal' to put off counterfeiters at some stage, and I thin fakes are more likely to be found in the old packaging:

elixir-nanoweb-bass-strings-50-105-nickel-p838-18447_image.jpg

1 minute ago, ped said:

I've been playing them for as long as I can remember and I've never 'seen' the coating - maybe some pictures show the older polyweb coating which IIRC was thicker. £27 sounds like a decent price rather than a total scam bargain, but I suppose time might tell if they last a advertised...

Just now, ped said:

I'll take a pic of mine later - they came direct from Elixir so it'll be interesting to compare.

They changed the packaging to include the chrome sticker 'seal' to put off counterfeiters at some stage, and I thin fakes are more likely to be found in the old packaging:

Thanks for all this, glad to hear you can't see it either on yours either - and curious if your ball-end windings look a bit off too. I heard they improve the coating tech every few years, so yeah the extra layer might be just a lot less visible now. And I'll be looking out for the coating stretching at the peg when I'm re-stringing, good idea too!

I had an un-opened seal on the back of the box, but that's not very secure, I could still easily open the packaging on the top or the bottom without really damaging it, leaving the seal intact.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

Here’s what you should see at the peg where the string first bends at 90 degrees into the post

Thanks, it does not like this, I don't see a thing at all :( I'll do a macro shot once I get home to make sure but I'm thinking it's more and more possible I bought some fake ones without the proper nanocoat...

Ah well at least you purchased on eBay, so you can easily get a refund. I'd recommend buying from Stringsdirect or similar in the future just to be sure - yes they might cost more but they do last forever, so a bit of man maths and you'd be silly not to :)

I wonder how many have tried them and thought wow they are no better than uncoated strings !

The loss of product status and revenue is huge

Please report this to EBAY to save other folk also being ripped off

Basically it’s fraud 

Edited by BassAdder27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pete.young said:

£27 quid? Last time I bought a 5 string set (normal strings plus an extra .125) it was £49 quid. That was at least 2 years ago.

Well I have good news for you, now you can get them for only £11.99, it MUST be the real deal! (reported this one)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403263812809

One thing is sure, once my fake ones went dead, I'll go the Stringsdirect way. They sound pretty good for now.