Why become a member? ×

Live Blu-Ray

ped

Hi folks

I have listened to music over Apple Music and Vinyl for a long time now, and haven't had a CD player for yonks. However I recently got a PS4 and I've realised with excitement that I can dig out my 5.1 mix DVDs which previously I couldn't enjoy fully without a surround setup. Then I realised the PS4 plays Blu-Ray and I don't think I've ever seen one before.

I have the amazing Anesthetize blu-ray from Porcupine Tree on it's way, and I think most of the others are on DVD and at my parents house.

I wondered if there are any other great Blu-Ray concerts I should get. I'm quite varied in my tastes, and really enjoy watching any musicians perform. Except punk. I can't stand punk.

Some faves I have on DVD (but not sure if they're on Blu-Ray)

- Gov't Mule - The Deepest End (great selection of bass players, good audio mix)

- Muse - Hullabaloo (despite not being a big Muse fan, very good concert)

- Primus - Hallucino Genetics

- Incubus - Morning View Sessions

- Opeth - Lamentations (I remember this being especially good audio quality)

- Steely Dan - Two Against Nature

- Pink Floyd - Pulse

I think most of these are pre-blu-ray so looking for some recommendations

I have a few.  Most are remasters on Blu-ray audio rather than live and with A/V.  In no particular order:

• Pink Floyd - The Endless River
  • The Beatles - Eight Days a Week
  • The Rolling Stones - Grrr!
  • Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
  • Supertramp - Crime of the Century
  • The Beatles - 1
  • Bob Marley - Legend
  • David Gilmore - Rattle that Lock
  • Rogers Waters - The Wall

• Thanks 1

I would imagine any of the Bjork live Blu-rays would be well worth investigating with the obvious caveat you'd need to enjoy her music.

(I say imagine as I haven't done so myself, but this thread makes me want to investigate myself)

Edited by Woodwind
  • Like 1

Apologies for a slight thread-jack but are there any pointers on a surround set up that won't break the bank and/or give the living room an unfortunate air of singleton's masturbation dungeon?

I seem to have amassed loads of 5.1 discs in boxsets and I never get to listen to listen to them.

• Like 1

Doobie Brothers - Live at the Beacon

Alan Parsons - The Neverending Show

Alan Parsons Symphonic Project - Live in Columbia

Styx - The Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight

The Dukes Of September - Live At Lincoln Centre

Toto - 40 Tours Around The Sun

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

I’ve just got ‘The Legendary 1979 Concert ‘ featuring Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. One of those rare occasions when the word ‘legendary’ is no exaggeration - the best concert I’ve watched for ages. The band are just amazing, and Bruce has boundless energy throughout. Jackson Browne and Tom Petty feature on one song too. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

I’ve just got ‘The Legendary 1979 Concert ‘ featuring Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band. One of those rare occasions when the word ‘legendary’ is no exaggeration - the best concert I’ve watched for ages. The band are just amazing, and Bruce has boundless energy throughout. Jackson Browne and Tom Petty feature on one song too. Highly recommended.

Is that the No Nukes one? If so, I have an old VHS of the whole show including Jackson Browne, Nicolette Larsen, The Doobie Brothers etc.... great gig!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cetera said:

Is that the No Nukes one? If so, I have an old VHS of the whole show including Jackson Browne, Nicolette Larsen, The Doobie Brothers etc.... great gig!

Yup, that’s the one! Think it’s been cleaned up for DVD / Blu Ray release. Unfortunately doesn’t feature the acts on the VHS though, but brilliant nevertheless.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ped said:

Awesome I’ve got some Alan Parsons and Supertramp (Paris ‘79) coming. 

Is there a ‘choice’ Queen concert? Looking at the Rock Montreal and Live Aid disk…

Montreal is brilliant, the footage is stunning. I've also got the Hungarian Rhapsody concert too. I hope that by some sort of miracle they can turn the footage from Wembley 86 magically (scuse the pun) in to glorious 4k UHD. Its my favourite concert ever, my musical bible and life long tuition "book". 

• Like 1