Why become a member? ×

Advance G&L GAS - scheming

neepheid

1 hour ago, uncle psychosis said:

That looks great, @neepheid. Good effort. 

meanwhile I can't shift my M-2000 for love nor money. Great bass but it seems the people of Scotland are bass philistines... 

Scotland has a long and distinguished history of not knowing what's good for it. The M-2000 is a fine bass with a lovely neck profile, slightly dialed back MFD pickups for those who find regular MFDs a bit too rorty and those 18V electronics will give active boffins that headroom that they keep banging on about that's so damn important ;)

I would, but I'm going through a no actives, no bridge pickups type phase, or whatever I'm telling myself this week to keep my participation in this year's gear abstinence thread alive...

• Like 1

So I took it to band rehearsal (originals band, so ska-ish with no guitars) last week and played the LB-100 in a band context.  Well, let's start off with the positives - lovely ergonomics here.  It was very comfortable to play, the neck is just how I like it - wide and deep enough, the satin finish on the back is great (I didn't even notice the slight roughness around fret 1 I noted on arrival in the heat of the moment of playing with others) and it feels well screwed together but not too heavy - just that nice heft that gives assurance, not shoulder ache.  Band members noticed I had a new bass and commented positively on it, so it's clearly got the looks down.

How does it sound?  Eh.  It's a P bass.  Is my hair supposed to be blown back by the unremitting okayness of it all?  It wasn't bad - it was certainly clear and I could hear myself no bother but it was like I was just "there", existing musically rather than pushing things forward.  Maybe that's the point of a P bass.  I don't get why people get so misty eyed about it, it was just so unremarkable to my ears.  When I play a bass live, I want to feel like I've sparred for a few rounds with it, to puff my cheeks out and say "that was phat!"

I'm not saying it's bad.  It's just not the sound that I look for in a bass, or more accurately not enough of it.

I've yet to try it out with the rock band so I'll reserve ultimate judgement until I hear it in both of the musical contexts I exist in but on the strength of that showing, I've pretty much made up my mind that a split MFD pickup will be the reason I bow out of this years gear abstinence thread.  The way I see it is if you're going to go G&L, you might as well go all in.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
53 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

@neepheid Just ordered one from guitarguitar. How are you getting along with yours? 

On the whole, pretty pleased with it.  Looks great, sounds like a P bass (thanks, Captain Obvious!), the hardware is excellent considering the price point as always.  My only gripe - the shielding was shockingly bad.  I ended up copper shielding the cavities myself because it was buzz city in our rehearsal room - fluorescent lighting and probably dubious electrics.  See before pictures here - https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/460940-gl-shielding-grumble/ - forgot to take after pics but let me spare you the surprise, it's shiny and copper coloured now.  As shown later in the thread, my USA G&L CLF L-1000 wasn't shielded at all, which surprised me.

So depending on where you play yours, you might need to repel slugs and RF interference from yours too ;)

Grumbling aside, I actually really like it.  When I got it I had 90% made up my mind to get a split MFD for it and make it into a quasi SB-1, but having played it post shielding job I'm actually quite enjoying it now as it is.  So much so that I think I'll play it at my next gig on Saturday.

Did you go Emerald blue or white?

• Thanks 1

I just got it out of the bag seeing as you mentioned it.  Blocks on a P bass.  I can forgive a lot for those looks.  And for £350, absolute steal, even with the dodgy shielding.  Fixed that with a fiver's worth of slug tape and a couple of hours work.

6 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Did you go Emerald blue or white?

Emerald blue. It looks fantastic and I generally like white basses. 

I've had a few G&L's both tributes and US ones and none have been shielded. I do occasionally do get humming when I'm playing at home no matter what bass I'm using. There's something going on with the electrics in the house but it's not all the time. If it turns out bad, I'm quite happy shielding it. £350 is a great price. I know how good Tributes are so it's going to be a lot of bass for the money. I will now have 3 Precisions, a 2021 USA Pro II, a US '95 and this one. The others have flat wounds but this one I'll use with rounds. Looking forward to it arriving, 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Took GG a while to get them up on the site, I've had mine (from GG!) for almost 2 months now because I ninja'd in and bought it via email :)  Enjoy, let us know how you get on with it.

I will, although I'm sure it will be fine. 

On 27/02/2022 at 20:24, bigthumb said:

I will, although I'm sure it will be fine. 

Did you get it?  I gigged mine on Saturday night and it did a grand job.  Can't say the bassist attached to it did though! ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neepheid said:

Did you get it?  I gigged mine on Saturday night and it did a grand job.  Can't say the bassist attached to it did though! ;)

Great stuff, I bet he did and at least you’re gigging!

Yes, I got it on Tuesday but I’ve not had much time to do anything with it. I’m away at the moment for a few days in the camper.

When it arrived the action was a bit too high, even for me. So after quite a lot of tinkering with the truss rod I’ve finally got it somewhere close. I had a lot of buzzing on the 18th which was concerning me but it’s sorted now. The brief time I did have it plugged in I was impressed on how nice it sounded so I’m looking forward to getting the time to spend with it. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I picked up @ped's  G&L L2000e. It's an absolute beast; G&L humbuckers are powerful. I'm digging it so far but would not have gotten so much vintage bass for the money if it has been a Fender, Ernie Ball, etc....G&L seems undervalued.

11 minutes ago, Clint said:

Just spotted that G&L are doing a new range called the Placentia series which basically don't have the G&L bridge. Wonder who came up with the name? 

https://www.guitarcenter.com/GL/Placentia-Series-JB-Electric-Bass-Vintage-White-1500000361332.gc

According to google search, "placentia" comes from the Latin "pleasant place to live". However, it does sound similar to placenta. 

8 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

According to google search, "placentia" comes from the Latin "pleasant place to live". However, it does sound similar to placenta. 

On a further google search it appears to be an area close to the Fullerton factory so I assume thats why it has been used. Still, could of thought of something better and yes, it sounds close to Placenta so hopefully no marketing mishaps!