Why become a member? ×

Advance G&L GAS - scheming

neepheid

1 minute ago, Jonesy said:

They've still got the SB2's reduced and they're mighty tempting. The new Kiloton in CAR is also reduced to pretty cheap at the mo.

Yes, they've had some stonking bargains on G&L Tributes of late.  Anyone who's on the fence about them should jump off and jump in!

They have a stunning (well I think so) US Fullerton Deluxe at Guitarguitar and the body is made from Western Sugar Pine? Not exactly sure what that would be like. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210309367423025--gl-usa-fullerton-deluxe-lb-100-pine-shoreline-gold-maple-finger?gclid=CjwKCAiAn5uOBhADEiwA_pZwcLNW4YRmc9AuQZyhBgW3FHf6EtRUAr2ydawxQzHlJpJsDjz6YjR6yBoCTL4QAvD_BwE

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigthumb said:

They have a stunning (well I think so) US Fullerton Deluxe at Guitarguitar and the body is made from Western Sugar Pine? Not exactly sure what that would be like. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210309367423025--gl-usa-fullerton-deluxe-lb-100-pine-shoreline-gold-maple-finger?gclid=CjwKCAiAn5uOBhADEiwA_pZwcLNW4YRmc9AuQZyhBgW3FHf6EtRUAr2ydawxQzHlJpJsDjz6YjR6yBoCTL4QAvD_BwE

Wow, this looks tempting. G&L make awesome basses. Prices are great too for basses made in California and especially in comparison to other companies still manufacturing in California (yes, EBMM, I am looking at you ; -)

41 minutes ago, Eldon Tyrell said:

Wow, this looks tempting. G&L make awesome basses. Prices are great too for basses made in California and especially in comparison to other companies still manufacturing in California (yes, EBMM, I am looking at you ; -)

I think it looks stunning but the body wood? I'm just wondering what it would be like? I can't imagine pine being too heavy, its a pity they don't give a weight to it. 

9 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

I think it looks stunning but the body wood? I'm just wondering what it would be like? I can't imagine pine being too heavy, its a pity they don't give a weight to it. 

If you're serious about it, you could ask them to weigh it for you.  Failing that, is there a guitarguitar near you?  You could ask for it to be sent to your nearest one and try it in person.  If all else fails - order it online and if you don't like it, send it back.  Cost of courier might be less than travelling to a guitarguitar location...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

I agree, it would be good if retailers listed the weight for basses, like for example Sweetwater does.

However, I doubt it will be too heavy. Fender is using pine for their AM Pro II Jazz basses with the natural finish (instead of ash, which is getting rare). They even promote it as "Roasted pine body is strong, lightweight, and stable".

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, neepheid said:

If you're serious about it, you could ask them to weigh it for you.  Failing that, is there a guitarguitar near you?  You could ask for it to be sent to your nearest one and try it in person.  If all else fails - order it online and if you don't like it, send it back.  Cost of courier might be less than travelling to a guitarguitar location...

Great advice. Last year, I ordered a G&L LB100 from them. Unfortunately, it had very noisy electronics (no shielding) and I had to return it. Was not a problem at all. Smooth process. So far, touch wood, I only had good experiences with GG! So, yes, worth a try.

• Like 1

I got a nice email yesterday - the bass is ready to ship. As it's my birthday in 2 days time this couldn't have worked out better. Paid the balance last night so hopefully it'll get dispatched today and arrive in time for it to be an unexpected birthday present :D

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Surprised to read about bodies being made

from Pine, quite a soft wood - half the hardness of alder or ash. Interested to see how they wear etc

As much as I love the look of the bass, the type of wood is a bit of an unknown to me. I have now seen some cheaper basses with pine body woods but not anything yet of £1k plus basses. It really dose put me off buying one if I'm honest. 

Also @neepheid is your incoming bass the LB-100 Tribute? 

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I got a nice email yesterday - the bass is ready to ship. As it's my birthday in 2 days time this couldn't have worked out better. Paid the balance last night so hopefully it'll get dispatched today and arrive in time for it to be an unexpected birthday present :D

Ahhhh, that IS exciting news!!!! If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting it from in the end? Only because I can't find it in stock anywhere and want to ogle some pictures!!

48 minutes ago, Dazed said:

Surprised to read about bodies being made

from Pine, quite a soft wood - half the hardness of alder or ash. Interested to see how they wear etc

The body is poplar according to the G&L site, although a few retailers have them listed as basswood - so who knows? Either way, the body wood makes no difference to the tone, so it doesn't matter 🤪 😂

46 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

As much as I love the look of the bass, the type of wood is a bit of an unknown to me. I have now seen some cheaper basses with pine body woods but not anything yet of £1k plus basses. It really dose put me off buying one if I'm honest. 

Also @neepheid is your incoming bass the LB-100 Tribute? 

Yup, it's the Tribute. I'll do a crappy bathroom scales weigh-in for your info ;)

44 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

Ahhhh, that IS exciting news!!!! If you don't mind me asking, where did you end up getting it from in the end? Only because I can't find it in stock anywhere and want to ogle some pictures!!

The body is poplar according to the G&L site, although a few retailers have them listed as basswood - so who knows? Either way, the body wood makes no difference to the tone, so it doesn't matter 🤪 😂

Guitarguitar. Pre-ordered with a deposit though so I don't think they've put the new intake up on their site yet.

• Like 3