Why become a member? ×

Advance G&L GAS - scheming

neepheid

Thank you very much @Jonesy for bringing this to my attention:

lb-100.thumb.png.2911fb136252e4940e74d8d9b78bc69b.png

This just floats my boat in so many ways - it's a G&L (a brand I know, respect and trust), beautiful colour, tort's growing on me (was initially unsure), BLOCKS...

WANT

The good news for my wallet is that now that I've seen this colour combo I don't want the immediately available white or sunburst ones, I want this one.  I contacted Andertons and was told "Yes, we will be placing an order with G&L for these basses so we are hoping to see stock in around 6 months or so".  6 months to save up, no worries.  Just need to make sure I don't see other shiny things in the meantime!

I've always fancied an SB-1.  No Tribute model available though and I don't really want to pay USA prices for what is, in essence, a posh P bass.  I had a Tribute SB-2 a while back and it was a good bass but there were a couple of things about it which weren't to my taste - the neck profile wasn't my ideal and it had a bridge pickup which I didn't care about or ever use.  The Tribute LB-100 has a wider neck, and no bridge pickup but obvs no MFD.  Maybe the stock pickup will be fine - I won't know until I try it and I certainly will give it a chance but if I swap the stock pickup out for a split MFD then I'll have how I think an SB-1 should be (the bigger body and wider neck of the LB-100 with an MFD), at a fraction of the price.

So here's to putting a rough date on my game over post in the 2022 Gear Abstinence thread before it's even begun!

• Like 9

There's been some confusion about what the nut width on this new range of Tribute LB-100s is.

Previously they were 1⅝". Sweetwater are listing some at 1½", which is clearly nonsense, just from looking at the photos. The specs on the G&L page for these new block inlaid LB-100s give the nut 1¾", like the Tribute L-2000.

The G&L website has been known to give incorrect specs for Tributes, but, zooming in on the first frets of the LB-100 and L-2000, through the fuzz of photos blown up too far, they do appear to be the same:

Screenshot_20211122-154749_Gallery.jpg.ea766e6619896b75739ed028d1a8be6d.jpg

Hopefully you couldn't care less whether it was one or the other ;)

• Thanks 1

Nah, as long as it isn't 1½" (38mm) then I'll be happy.  That's just a little bit too close together for my sausage fingers - I can work with it, but it's not my preference.

I loved the half baseball bat neck of my Tribute L-2000, would be delighted with that :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

LB pick up is waaaaaay better than the MFD ones 

Hope you get it

Thanks, me too.

BTW, you're talking to an MFD believer. All the G&Ls I've owned have had them in some form or another (regular, M spec, split P, J (not that I ever used it), El Toro slim humbucker). Also I'm not traditionally a P bass man either. So I doubt I'll feel the same way as you. Having said that, I take on board what you're saying and will give the Alnico a fair listen (on its own, band rehearsal, gig) before deciding.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

Thanks, me too.

BTW, you're talking to an MFD believer. All the G&Ls I've owned have had them in some form or another (regular, M spec, split P, J (not that I ever used it), El Toro slim humbucker). Also I'm not traditionally a P bass man either. So I doubt I'll feel the same way as you. Having said that, I take on board what you're saying and will give the Alnico a fair listen (on its own, band rehearsal, gig) before deciding.

That’s ok buddy - different folks different strokes.

G&L are fine fine basses - I just think that the MFD’s are too much and too in your face with less refinery than the LB for example, I always felt it was a fight.

For me then MFD’s are best straight to amp/desk - any pre amps before an amp - it was hard to dial in for me. I went through 2 ASAT’s and an L1500.

Either which way - cracking bass you will get as stock or modded.

Enjoy!!

• Thanks 1

On 22/11/2021 at 16:01, neepheid said:

Nah, as long as it isn't 1½" (38mm) then I'll be happy.  That's just a little bit too close together for my sausage fingers - I can work with it, but it's not my preference.

I loved the half baseball bat neck of my Tribute L-2000, would be delighted with that :)

I think the L2000 is 44 mm at the nut and the LB is 42 mm but both necks are your favourite "half baseball" neck :D

I had the natural LB and it was lovely but around 10`lb`s if I remember right.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I think the L2000 is 44 mm at the nut and the LB is 42 mm but both necks are your favourite "half baseball" neck :D

I had the natural LB and it was lovely but around 10`lb`s if I remember right.

This fresh installment of LB-100s is poplar - is that likely to bring the weight down a bit?

I remember seeing with the previous generation that the white ones tended to be a fair bit lighter than the natural, but what woods they might have been..... 🤷

1 hour ago, Ricky Rioli said:

This fresh installment of LB-100s is poplar - is that likely to bring the weight down a bit?

I remember seeing with the previous generation that the white ones tended to be a fair bit lighter than the natural, but what woods they might have been..... 🤷

They made some from basswood and I'm sure they were lighter, I'm pretty sure the white L2000's are basswood. If the new ones are around the 9Lbs mark, or under I'll be having one for sure. 

7 minutes ago, bigthumb said:

They made some from basswood and I'm sure they were lighter, I'm pretty sure the white L2000's are basswood. If the new ones are around the 9Lbs mark, or under I'll be having one for sure. 

They're already available in the States (of course) so I took a look at Sweetwater who often put up weights of the actual instruments they're selling:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LB100TOW--g-and-l-tribute-lb-100-bass-guitar-olympic-white

That poplar one is 9lbs 6oz according to them.  Of course there will be variations, wood be woody, but that's your first point on the plot.  They haven't posted up weights of the others yet, but I'm sure that'll come.  Then you'll have a better idea of the potential fluctuations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, neepheid said:

They're already available in the States (of course) so I took a look at Sweetwater who often put up weights of the actual instruments they're selling:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LB100TOW--g-and-l-tribute-lb-100-bass-guitar-olympic-white

That poplar one is 9lbs 6oz according to them.  Of course there will be variations, wood be woody, but that's your first point on the plot.  They haven't posted up weights of the others yet, but I'm sure that'll come.  Then you'll have a better idea of the potential fluctuations.

It's weird that they list the neck as 38mm though seeing as they've gone to the length of weighing an individual item. You can see in the pics that it's mahoosive and bigger than that! I love that the necks have a vintage gloss on them too, I really like the feel of the neck on my Tribby JB.

My wallet is grateful that the neck is so big though, otherwise I'd be very tempted!

If anyone's after their current stock of Olympic White/black guard/cherry fingerboard/blocks Tribute LB-100s, Andertons have chopped a ton off the price - down to £349.  I think that's a steal for such a bass.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/g-l-tribute-lb-100-bass-in-olympic-white-3-ply-black-pickguard-vintage-tint-gloss-neck-with-brazilian-cherry-fingerboard

If I wasn't so struck by the colour of the impending models and so determined to get the Emerald Blue I'd have found a way to jump on this.  Help me get my blue one by clearing out the white ones ;)

On 22/11/2021 at 16:56, Supernaut said:

I would love a USA JB-2 but can never find one. :( 

At £250 could you stand a Tribute? You could probably sell it for that when you finally find a USA one...

https://www.andertons.co.uk/g-l-tribute-jb-2-bass-in-sonic-blue-clear-satin-neck-brazilian-cherry-fingerboard

1 hour ago, BassApprentice said:

Just as an aside, does anyone know what strings Tributes use as standard? 

Anecdotally, I read D'addario EXL170. 

https://www.bassesbyleo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1693&p=19796&hilit=Stock+strings#p19796

It's what my USA G&L came with too, so I guess it makes sense to use the same strings for all your basses regardless of where they're made and maximise economies of scale.

• Thanks 1