Why become a member? ×

The law of diminishing returns, Tonewood and other folly’s

tegs07

"Debord traces the development of a modern society in which authentic social life has been replaced with its representation: "All that once was directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing." This condition, according to Debord, is the "historical moment at which the commodity completes its colonization of social life."

Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle.

People put too much store in the instruments... It's the playing that counts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose that if people were prepared to pay me enough money to live on for playing in their band(s) I'd be prepared to play any old shït too.

Pino's a weird one for me in that I really like his fretless bass playing, but think that in a the context of the whole music he plays on that's the only musical bit of merit. He's the only only redeeming thing about the Paul Young records (apart from the truly awful version of Love Will Tear Us Apart which even he can't salvage). Go West was just fake 80s pop for people who don't really like music. Unfortunately in The Who he's not a patch on Entwhistle to the point that the band had to have a second guitarist to fill out the sound.

He's done quite a bit more than Paul Young or Go West..

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

"Debord traces the development of a modern society in which authentic social life has been replaced with its representation: "All that once was directly lived has become mere representation." Debord argues that the history of social life can be understood as "the decline of being into having, and having into merely appearing." This condition, according to Debord, is the "historical moment at which the commodity completes its colonization of social life."

Guy Debord - The Society of the Spectacle.

People put too much store in the instruments... It's the playing that counts.

It's always the playing that counts but we have a choice of what to play it on and thus interesting side debates like this.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I suppose that if people were prepared to pay me enough money to live on for playing in their band(s) I'd be prepared to play any old shït too.

Pino's a weird one for me in that I really like his fretless bass playing, but think that in a the context of the whole music he plays on that's the only musical bit of merit. He's the only only redeeming thing about the Paul Young records (apart from the truly awful version of Love Will Tear Us Apart which even he can't salvage). Go West was just fake 80s pop for people who don't really like music. Unfortunately in The Who he's not a patch on Entwhistle to the point that the band had to have a second guitarist to fill out the sound.

I quite like your posts.  Gives me a direction - when you write your usual disparaging ranty diatribe about something it means I should check it out as I will probably like it 😂

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Unfortunately in The Who he's not a patch on Entwhistle to the point that the band had to have a second guitarist to fill out the sound.

Wasn't this a deliberate act from Townsend who had been trying for years to get Entwistle to calm down so he could play lead guitar?

"John's bass sound was like a Messiaen organ. Every note, every harmonic in the sky. When he passed away and I did the first few shows without him, with Pino [Palladino] on bass, he was playing without all that stuff... I said, ‘Wow, I have a job.'

"With Keith, my job was keeping time, because he didn't do that. So when he passed away, it was like, ‘Oh, I don't have to keep time anymore.'"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/pete_townshend_says_thank_god_entwistle__moon_are_gone_talks_what_was_wrong_with_their_playing.html

But it's all those original idiosyncrasies that made the Who (up to Moon's death) musically interesting. The fact that none of the instruments (apart from the vocals) are playing their traditional roles.

Without that they are just another average rock band. It's more than obvious from the dullness of Townshend's solo stuff - same song writer, far less interesting music.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

But it's all those original idiosyncrasies that made the Who (up to Moon's death) musically interesting. The fact that none of the instruments (apart from the vocals) are playing their traditional roles.

Without that they are just another average rock band. It's more than obvious from the dullness of Townshend's solo stuff - same song writer, far less interesting music.

Agree 100%. The Who were exciting because of the styles of the individuals involved. Much like any other real "Band".

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Whilst I basically agree with all this I don’t know what it’s got to do with Pino’s ability as a bass player. As he is not a founder member of The Who I doubt he got that much free reign in what to play or how to play it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Whilst I basically agree with all this I don’t know what it’s got to do with Pino’s ability as a bass player. As he is not a founder member of The Who I doubt he got that much free reign in what to play or how to play it.

Depends how much free reign he gets, or whether people just employ him for what he does. I must admit I hated the stuff he did with NiN, but obviously trent reznor didn't.

"They had just wrapped up a session with Common when Palladino learned that the Who’s bassist, John Entwistle, had died – and that the band had declined to cancel their forthcoming tour and wanted Palladino to replace him … on stage at the Hollywood Bowl, in two days."

No pressure then...

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/apr/06/pino-palladino-pop-greatest-bassist-adele-elton-the-who

You could probably make up some kind of bingo/drinking game for all the same old arguments/jibes/tropes that inevitably pepper threads like these.

Bonus double gulp for personal attacks!

Hic!

Edited by neepheid
  • Haha 1

Just now, neepheid said:

You could probably make up some kind of bingo/drinking game for all the same old arguments/jibes/tropes that inevitably pepper threads like these.

Hic!

Yeah, Basschat the board game! With questions like 'what's the best bass guitar' and 'who's the best bass player of all time'!!

23 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Bonus double gulp for personal attacks!

Hic!

16 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Yeah, Basschat the board game! With questions like 'what's the best bass guitar' and 'who's the best bass player of all time'!!

Compressors, hi-mass bridges and why Jaco is the worst bass player ever...!