Why become a member? ×

Band's Youtube channel - a question about followers

Silvia Bluejay

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

@Stingray5 Thanks - I've got two notifications, one from Landmarq and one from one of your channels, and followed back both.

To reply to your question, the screenshot I posted earlier, before my last post, was from Studio - Customization - Basic Info. It still shows the same (lack of) options.

Ah, thanks for the follow-back and my apologies, I should've looked closer at your last post 🙄🙂

• Like 1

Regarding @Happy Jack's pilates video, I've dug out the original .MOV file we shot at the bash, compared it with the previous, shorter version shot a couple of months earlier, and they are both fine on disk. The camera certainly wasn't 4K quality, but its output on both occasions, in broad daylight and bright artificial light, was good.

That appears to suggest that a. Youtube's compression algorithm in 2014 was far, far worse than the one it's currently using, and b. At some point between 2014 and 2021 YT seems to have taken a dislike to that particular video and made an unholy mess of it. 😒

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

18 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

I wonder if after a few years YouTube archives old video into a highly compressed lower resolution (smaller file) version?

That's a possibility, but then it would involve all vids from a certain year, not just one? From what I can see, only that particular video is in such a parlous state. 🤷‍♂️

LOL for a few crazy hours, and thanks entirely to you guys' help (🙏), the band had 116 followers. For some reason, Youtube has decided this morning that there's 'only' 112 of them. No visible sign of any unsubscribing in my notifications or stats. Hmmm... 🤔

No change in the absence of an option to customise the URL. 🤷‍♂️

On we go.... 😉😂

• Like 2

And... it happened! By the look of it, Damo And The Dynamites were luckier than many other bands and individuals, as the offer of a custom URL promptly appeared this morning, only 4 days after we started trying to get it.

Many thanks again to all of you who helped us by subscribing! 🙏🙏🙏

As things stand, both the old gobbledigook URL and the new one with the name work perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPV6QAb2Pu-7dhX3hwgqohg

and

https://www.youtube.com/DamoAndTheDynamites

take to the same page.

The actual custom URL, however, has the extra characters c/ which are visible to admins and which, to be honest, seem to have no function other than aiding some sort of classification by Youtube. 🤔

Never mind... 😉

2138211031_CustomURL(2).thumb.png.9cf38f5e172b59effd0be9cbc6ba71e5.png

• Like 4

Incidentally, I think one of the reasons why the band got its custom option so quickly was that, according to YT Help, the system checks if you have any other website addresses with the same custom name (for instance social media accounts etc.). We have five, all of which are listed in our YT account... 😉

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

On 22/11/2021 at 18:15, Happy Jack said:

And while we're talking YouTube, I've just re-posted the video shot by @Silvia Bluejay of my talk at the 2014 SouthEast BassBash on another thread and found that the on-screen quality has deteriorated really, really sharply.

There were nowt wrong wi' t'video when uploaded in 2014. Now it looks like a piece of film salvaged from a skip after a couple of days in the rain.

Even more alarmingly the sound quality (from the camera that we used to use for all our band videos) is also now complete pants.

Any ideas WTF has happened here?

It only gives me options to see it up to 480p. Although I'm not sure it's actually in 480p.

When you go to your YouTube account does it show as available in any other quality? What's the quality of the original?

• Thanks 2

Delving back over seven years, the original YT upload was a 480p AVI listed as SD. I still reckon that the on-screen quality used to be noticeably better but, given that I am now a video-editing GOD OF REAPER, it would be churlish not to re-edit and re-upload. 

I won't say 'watch this space' because I'll have to upload it to a different space!

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

And it seems to me that YouTube will not archive anything. There will be various restrictions on all files of the old format. It seems that new reels videos will be in the future on YouTube. They are already raising statistics very much, and it's fantastic. YouTube developers caught this trend with TikTok and did everything right. Thanks to its short videos, everyone knows that TikTok has surpassed all applications and social networks in popularity. Many people have moved there in search of a new audience. And I'm no exception... At first, it was hard for me to gain the first views and get the first audience. But when I started buying views of real people, my videos began to fall into trends, and I began to gain my audience.

Edited by Olandeep
  • Like 1

And, to continue with the 'random things Youtube does' theme, I've just noticed three new subscribers, all of them from here (thank you!). I'm sure that at least two of you did not press the button right now, but did it days or weeks ago. The Dynamites channel's subscriber count has just gone up by three, but I've only received notification of one new subscriber. Apologies again to all of you who subscribed after reading this thread - only a minority actually get notified to us. 🤔

Edited by Silvia Bluejay