Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker bass by

P j

Hi new to this forum , I have a rickenbacker 1988 4003 bt need some one that can shed some light on why Jack plug is chrome when all other metal parts hardware in black is this standard , also it has series snd I’d but no rickosound stamps is this normal ?? Thanks to all if any one knows or has similar thx pj 

12 hours ago, P j said:

Hi new to this forum , I have a rickenbacker 1988 4003 bt need some one that can shed some light on why Jack plug is chrome when all other metal parts hardware in black is this standard , also it has series snd I’d but no rickosound stamps is this normal ?? Thanks to all if any one knows or has similar thx pj 

Hi P j, welcome! Some pics of the bass will help.

16 hours ago, P j said:

If it's a real Rick the plate should read 'Standard' and 'Rick-o-Sound'.

That said, Rick jack plates have been known to be swapped out. Let's see some pix, please.

18 hours ago, P j said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Just now, P j said:

Rickenbacker by 

Rickenbacker but bass , hope these are ok not very good at tec , the person I acquired from said all original no jack plate change , this is different from any close up shots of rickenbacker but I guess there was issues I understand with black paint not so good . I e probably it would come off jack straight away , but not fully sure if this correct rgds pj 

16 hours ago, itu said:

Is your series sound activated by pulling a pot? Is it really a series option, or bypassing the bridge capacitor?

Hi NIk NIk the pots don’t pull up , it has two nuts underneath trust cover and been dated 1988 that’s all I know about it to be honest this is how I got it , thx pj 

21 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Looks original, it's not uncommon for the lettering to wear off.

I don't know if they used black plates on these particular models, but the rest - black hardwire and binding - checks out.

Thanks Cosmo for your thoughts , that’s what I want to confirm really to see if inscription 

has simply worn away , if it’s a transfer rather. Then like indentured serial numbers , as most show at least a bit of scribble left , not in this case and don’t look over clean , well I guess if I can find b t owner to confirm , seems they went to every effort to black off all hardware but not jack , maybe they just couldn’t get it on plate . Well thanks again much appreciated pj 

19 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Welcome to Basschat, PJ. I've moved your post to Bass Guitars, where more people might be able to help. I would recommend you amend your thread title so it suggests you have a question.

Thanks Silvia, not very good at tec but scrapping by , very old school kind regards pj 

• Like 1

Just now, P j said:

Interesting you now have put a new spin on things , this was not even in my mind that this was a possibility could of started out different colour , shame can’t hone in on jack to see if it’s black , good work NIk much appreciate for your input 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, P j said:

Interesting you now have put a new spin on things , this was not even in my mind that this was a possibility could of started out different colour , shame can’t hone in on jack to see if it’s black , good work NIk much appreciate for your input 

Forget the plate; you have what looks like an authentic yet stripped late '80s Rick 4003.

3 minutes ago, NikNik said:

Forget the plate; you have what looks like an authentic yet stripped late '80s Rick 4003.

I guess I should be happy its the real thing , but it makes complete sense as has some heavy grain in wood , which probably would be blotted out with colour etc , I suppose when sourced which ones gets painted etc to cover imperfections , it’s great looker but not really my cup of tea bass playing wise although neck is so nice and sleek thx pj 

2 hours ago, ikay said:

This bass is on the Rickenbacker Register and looks to be a lovely example of an original '88 mapleglo 4003. 

http://www.rickresource.com/register/viewitem.php?id=34710

On 22/11/2021 at 09:04, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Hi P j, welcome! Some pics of the bass will help.

2 hours ago, ikay said:

This bass is on the Rickenbacker Register and looks to be a lovely example of an original '88 mapleglo 4003. 

http://www.rickresource.com/register/viewitem.php?id=34710

Thx this helps greatly ikay thanks for your input kind regards pj