Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton - U2

Guest BassAdder27

Agree. I watched a PMT “sound like Mick Mars of Motley Crue” vid. A lot of effects were used but each on their own was barely noticeable and difficult to hear how it had changed the sound. However when the end sound with them all on was compared to the initial no effects sound it was quite an ear opener as to how each minor alteration added in layers to the end result. Probably how AC uses the Sub Harmonic, adds something in but not so it would be identified.

12 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Agree. I watched a PMT “sound like Mick Mars of Motley Crue” vid. A lot of effects were used but each on their own was barely noticeable and difficult to hear how it had changed the sound. However when the end sound with them all on was compared to the initial no effects sound it was quite an ear opener as to how each minor alteration added in layers to the end result. Probably how AC uses the Sub Harmonic, adds something in but not so it would be identified.

Have you watched The Dirt movie !!

So funny and perhaps some truth in the story 

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

that drivel

Depends entirely on what "drivel"!

If it's ill-thought out slogans with little or no new content or with no level of thought, fair enough.

If it's something that makes you think, I'm quite happy to hear it, whether I agree with it or not. Frinstance, our singer always does a little anti-hunting spiel - it invariably goes down well even though we've been playing quite a lot of gigs locally, which is proper hang 'em shoot 'em fish 'em country. But then all our songs are a bit (a lot!) political, or at least about some sort of issue as that's what our singer writes lyrics about. Me? I'm easy either way on that as I'm only there as eye candy...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Depends entirely on what "drivel"!

If it's ill-thought out slogans with little or no new content or with no level of thought, fair enough.

If it's something that makes you think, I'm quite happy to hear it, whether I agree with it or not. Frinstance, our singer always does a little anti-hunting spiel - it invariably goes down well even though we've been playing quite a lot of gigs locally, which is proper hang 'em shoot 'em fish 'em country. But then all our songs are a bit (a lot!) political, or at least about some sort of issue as that's what our singer writes lyrics about. Me? I'm easy either way on that as I'm only there as eye candy...

Maybe your audience likes it and that's fine because they probably expect it. I dont want to pay £100 for a ticket to listen to a speech on someones political views between every song. I wouldn't be expecting that at any concert or gig i go to. Its just not for me. I dont object to singer talking a little between songs while someone tunes up etc but not political agenda's.

Dave

• Like 2

Ive just watched the PG rig rundown, with Dallas Schoo, of The Edge's set up...the sheer amount that goes on 'off stage'! It's mind boggling. There is a lot of getting the sound "absolutely right", before it goes to the desk. I can't see that someone so 'particular' about his own sound would allow anyone else in the band have a that'll do approach. 

PG also did a rig rundown on GnR. There are no bass cabs on their stage, they all use IEM. However, off stage Duff has a 115 and a 410 cab mic'd. That signal, along with 3 or 4 other signals from different sources are sent to the desk and blended. From what I remember I think there are guitar cabs mic'd in, near soundproofed, boxes off stage as well.

These big bands may use IEM, but it's not as simple as DI the bass to the desk and that's it. They have a sound, and a lot of them seem very particular about recreating that sound by using A LOT of gear

Edited by Marvin
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Ive just watched the PG rig rundown, with Dallas Schoo, of The Edge's set up...the sheer amount that goes on 'off stage'! It's mind boggling. There is a lot of getting the sound "absolutely right", before it goes to the desk. I can't see that someone so 'particular' about his own sound would allow anyone else in the band have a that'll do approach. 

PG also did a rig rundown on GnR. There are no bass cabs on their stage, they all use IEM. However, off stage Duff has a 115 and a 410 cab mic'd. That signal, along with 3 or 4 other signals from different sources are sent to the desk and blended. From what I remember I think there are guitar cabs mic'd in, near soundproofed, boxes off stage as well.

These big bands may use IEM, but it's not as simple as DI the bass to the desk and that's it. They have a sound, and a lot of them seem very particular about recreating that sound by using A LOT of gear

That makes sense and i can appreciate that.

If i had been lucky enough to play stadium type gigs I'd be very particular about my on stage sound and would also want to hear the FOH to make sure they had it the way i wanted so i'm guessing these big stars are just the same. Maybe not.

Our drummer has played stadium gigs incl Wembley and he is quite particular about his sound especially on stage vocals.

Dave