Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton - U2

Guest BassAdder27

13 hours ago, ubit said:

Funnily enough, I am not a huge fan  but I have all of their albums and when they come on on random I quite enjoy them but I totally agree about Bonio. He is an annoying twatt!

Funny, but people seem to take against any vocalist or lyricist who takes on politics or sensitive subjects. I suppose its easier to write "Oooo baby I really love you" stuff. I rate Bono, not many people would go to America and bad mouth the IRA in the 80s. "One" is still my favourite love song.

I dont mind musicians and singers having a political view but i prefer they keep their politics and music seperate. I go to a concert to hear the music not someones personal viewpoint on whatever subject.

I'm not a big enough fan of U2 to really know Bono's personal viewpoints on politics or whatever. I just know them as a band.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikel said:

Funny, but people seem to take against any vocalist or lyricist who takes on politics or sensitive subjects. I suppose its easier to write "Oooo baby I really love you" stuff. I rate Bono, not many people would go to America and bad mouth the IRA in the 80s. "One" is still my favourite love song.

He can talk about politics all he wants, it's his massive hypocrisy that disgusts many people.

• Like 4

U2 were a big influence being a young teenager in the early 90s. I read somewhere AC is your typical bass player- did a lot of the donkey work in the early days doing business and hustling, keeping the other guys in check etc. The ‘brains’ of the operation you could say. A position a lot of us can identify with I’m sure!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mikel said:

I cannot agree with this. Singers can have political views but they should not talk about them when they perform. I once saw Hugh and cry at a festival. The singer did nothing but preach his politics the whole way through their set. I didn't care much for them before but absolutely detested them afterwards. If a singer has strong political views he/she runs the risk of alienating some of their audience. 

It's rather like Rod Stewart coming onstage in Glasgow wearing a Celtic strip. He nearly caused a riot, then said oh, I didn't realise it would cause so much trouble. You wear any colours in any city and you immediately cause a divide.

• Like 1

Don't ever go to a Killing Joke gig 😉

Edit -> I quite like when performers give themselves to a performance, including what they are passionate about in "real life", rather than some choreographed and characterless vanilla run-through of hits just to appease punters, maybe with an air-grab or two to really show where the emotional parts are. Part of the appeal of the like of KJ is Jaz is authentic in what he believes and, when the rants start to ramble, Geordie starts playing the next song and the show moves on. Bono's non-musical exploits frequently inform his lyrics, you don't get one without the other.

Besides, anyone who gets upset by a football jersey deserves to get upset. When Iron Maiden perform The Trooper, Bruce waves a Union flag. In many countries, that flag was the symbol of centuries of oppression, but he still waves it in those countries. It's part of an Iron Maiden show. It's part of the theatre. If you don't like the flag, or the jersey, or the artist's political beliefs, or their religion or anything else, then can you really like the artist? Does Rod Stewart not wearing a Celtic jersey make him any less Catholic, if that is what is offensive to people when he wears the jersey?

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, ubit said:

I cannot agree with this. Singers can have political views but they should not talk about them when they perform. I once saw Hugh and cry at a festival. The singer did nothing but preach his politics the whole way through their set. I didn't care much for them before but absolutely detested them afterwards. If a singer has strong political views he/she runs the risk of alienating some of their audience. 

It's rather like Rod Stewart coming onstage in Glasgow wearing a Celtic strip. He nearly caused a riot, then said oh, I didn't realise it would cause so much trouble. You wear any colours in any city and you immediately cause a divide.

Yep Hue & Cry were a bit like that. Mate was their original backing vocalist and spent the early years with the brothers writing the songs together. Mate was also a fantastic guitarist and played on a few of the early songs but never got the credits he deserved. As soon as they became very successful the band incl mate were put on a fixed contract and slowly bumped over a couple of years.

Pretty poor as i remember him being very much involved in song writing process back in their early days before recording contracts. Because of the way they treated the band and my mate i went right of them especially the main singer Pat Kane. My opinion of him is to strong for BC.

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Besides, anyone who gets upset by a football jersey deserves to get upset. When Iron Maiden perform The Trooper, Bruce waves a Union flag. In many countries, that flag was the symbol of centuries of oppression, but he still waves it in those countries. It's part of an Iron Maiden show. It's part of the theatre. If you don't like the flag, or the jersey, or the artist's political beliefs, or their religion or anything else, then can you really like the artist? Does Rod Stewart not wearing a Celtic jersey make him any less Catholic, if that is what is offensive to people when he wears the jersey?

You obviously have no clue about the tribalism that goes on with football in this part of the world. Wearing another teams colours is about as serious a crime as you could get.

I have a pretty big clue, I would say, and we both know Stewart has a clue, too. Again, I would suggest that anyone who has a problem with someone wearing a shirt, when they'd be ok with that person while not wearing the shirt, deserves all the self-generated ire they get.

But none of this gets the genial Adam Clayton any credit.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I have a pretty big clue, I would say, and we both know Stewart has a clue, too. Again, I would suggest that anyone who has a problem with someone wearing a shirt, when they'd be ok with that person while not wearing the shirt, deserves all the self-generated ire they get.

But none of this gets the genial Adam Clayton any credit.

I am not going to keep this going only to say that Rod Stewart knew exactly what he was doing but underestimated the trouble he would cause. No one has a problem with him supporting one team or the other but rubbing peoples faces in it? I am sure if you stood up in Liverpool and wore an Everton shirt you would cause similar unrest. same with Sunderland and Newcastle. It doesn't matter if sound minded people say that's ridiculous. It happens.

38 minutes ago, ubit said:

I am not going to keep this going only to say that Rod Stewart knew exactly what he was doing but underestimated the trouble he would cause. No one has a problem with him supporting one team or the other but rubbing peoples faces in it? I am sure if you stood up in Liverpool and wore an Everton shirt you would cause similar unrest. same with Sunderland and Newcastle. It doesn't matter if sound minded people say that's ridiculous. It happens.

There's always that religious undertone in Scotland more so Glasgow area. To be avoided at all cost.

Dave

• Like 1

I don’t mind if the singer is talking about the politics contained in a specific song, the way Jake Burns of SLF does (tho he does ramble on a bit) but if they’re just talking politics between every song and denouncing certain parties all the time I find it a switch off. I’m not fussed if their political views either support or oppose mine, if it’s not relevant to the song(s) leave it at home. In my last band much of the content of our songs was political but it wasn’t anti one party, more opposition to things that take place and have taken place under successive governments of both sides of the coin.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of politics in music especially when its preaching the singers personal view point. I'm ok with it telling a story in the lyrics. The same way I totally abide any political opinion or view point being preached at a sporting event, for example Black Lives Matter, LBGT, In This As One, Taking the Knee crap that they do at the start of every F1 race. I have nothing against those movements but I am there to watch a motor race, not witness a political statement, movement or agenda. I think its wrong and does more harm than good eventually. Same as I wouldn't want that sort of thing being done at a music concert, theatre, cinema, airshow or any other major event be it sporting or not.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Linus27 said:

I'm not a fan of politics in music especially when its preaching the singers personal view point. I'm ok with it telling a story in the lyrics. The same way I totally abide any political opinion or view point being preached at a sporting event, for example Black Lives Matter, LBGT, In This As One, Taking the Knee crap that they do at the start of every F1 race. I have nothing against those movements but I am there to watch a motor race, not witness a political statement, movement or agenda. I think its wrong and does more harm than good eventually. Same as I wouldn't want that sort of thing being done at a music concert, theatre, cinema, airshow or any other major event be it sporting or not.

Where should it be done then?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Where should it be done then?

Indeed... After all, all human interactions are politics!

I remember back in the 80s when Queen were vilified for playing Sun City at the height of apartheid, the England Cricket team also got grief for similar.

And the justification was "keep politics out of music/sport"; but what that failed to take account of was the fact that they gave tacit approval to the SA Govt's policy. So not only were they condoning extreme racism, they were getting a nice bit of bunce for the privilege. 

What's the saying? "All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to say nothing" (or words to that effect)

• Like 4

On 22/11/2021 at 10:59, BigRedX said:

Once you start playing stages of a certain size the backline for the bass guitar becomes completely irrelevant - especially so if you are using IEM.

Your technical rider may specify a mic on a particular speaker in a particular cab, but there'll also be a DI feed direct from the bass guitar itself and probably another from the DI on one of the amps, and in reality you have no way of know exactly which source is the main contribution to the FoH sound.

The gear onstage is for his personal enjoyment, IEMs or no. The crew are all there to work for Adam so if he wants fifteen amps mic'd up with identical speakers because he feels it makes the vibe better then they make it happen. The FoH crew will always have their own opinions about what sounds good out front and will be treated as valuable partners in that discussion during pre-production (because otherwise why employ professionals?) but ultimately AC gets to make the call. They aren't just going to run his bypassed tone through a Radial for the sake of ease... 

On a side note my guitarist knows one of Edge's techs (not Dallas, but the other one) so when U2 played the O2 during the E&I tour my band got to do a walkthrough of the main LCD system and tech areas. Was gutted to miss out as I had another gig that night. - it's an absolute beast of a rig! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Indeed... After all, all human interactions are politics!

I remember back in the 80s when Queen were vilified for playing Sun City at the height of apartheid, the England Cricket team also got grief for similar.

And the justification was "keep politics out of music/sport"; but what that failed to take account of was the fact that they gave tacit approval to the SA Govt's policy. So not only were they condoning extreme racism, they were getting a nice bit of bunce for the privilege. 

What's the saying? "All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to say nothing" (or words to that effect)

Not quite the same as a singer going on about his political views between every song tho. I would have walked out on any concert i was attending if singer started that rubbish. I'm there to hear the music the band sell in whatever format. If they want the singers political viewpoints to be heard then put them on the albums between the songs. You can bet they wont sell as many copies with that drivel between songs.

Dave

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, borntohang said:

The gear onstage is for his personal enjoyment, IEMs or no. The crew are all there to work for Adam so if he wants fifteen amps mic'd up with identical speakers because he feels it makes the vibe better then they make it happen. The FoH crew will always have their own opinions about what sounds good out front and will be treated as valuable partners in that discussion during pre-production (because otherwise why employ professionals?) but ultimately AC gets to make the call. They aren't just going to run his bypassed tone through a Radial for the sake of ease... 

On a side note my guitarist knows one of Edge's techs (not Dallas, but the other one) so when U2 played the O2 during the E&I tour my band got to do a walkthrough of the main LCD system and tech areas. Was gutted to miss out as I had another gig that night. - it's an absolute beast of a rig! 

AC must surely have the final say on what he hears on stage. If you have a good on-stage sound it makes you feel and play better in my opinion and altho he is playing far larger gigs the concept is still the same. I take for granted that our sound engineer knows what i want to sound like and that he replicates the sound i have on stage to FOH.

Is that not what they are paid to do. Obviously each venue will have its acoustic differences that need to be compensated for but that's why they get paid the big bucks.  :D

Dave 

Either way AC played Ashdown gear and that’s good enough for me !!

If he sounds good on stage ( what he experiences ) as already stated then he will be happy regardless of front of house PA etc etc 

Thats probably the same for all of use chasing that perfect tone / sound we believe to be right 

Incidentally I tried at rehearsal last time the Sub Harmonic on at 7:30 ish on my ABM600 and you couldn’t really tell it was on or off !! 

Maybe that’s the point it’s slight but it’s there and he and his techs knew it too. 
I guess we will never know but as this was the original point of the posting I thought I would bring it back to that point