Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton - U2

Guest BassAdder27

Several years ago, I bought a 1965 jazz. It appeared to be all original other that a non original pick guard, together with a body and neck refinish. It came in at a nice price and the seller had no idea of its history, other than the previous owner saying that he was told It used to  belonged to AC. There was no proof that it belonged to AC and I could not have cared less, as I really liked the bass.

I used it for several years and decided to move it on, as I was culling the heard. As it came to me for not alot of money, I decided to sell it at a nice and a well known player and collector had a play loved it and bought it from me.

Some weeks later he asked me did I know anything about the bass and I told him, other than the previous seller mentioning that it belonged to AC, that I knew nothing. We both had a snigger, thinking that it was a sales pitch, as much as anything else.

Some weeks later I got a call from the new owner informing me that he had it on good authority that the bass did belong to AC!.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Personally, i don't rate him. Hes not bad, I just don't think he's  that good.

But then he porbably says the same about me, and the nice thing about the string section is how broad a church it is in terms of abilites, styles and tastes.

to be fair he might be able to shred like a monster if given free rein but his band mates might be a tad p1$$ed if he did go off on one midset

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Been reading about U2 bassist Adam Clayton and his setup using at some point Ashdown ABM amps 

I understand he was running the Sub Harmonic on all the time set low 7:30 ( o’clock )  and drive on set 12:30 - 1 o’clock 

Might just try this next practice 

I'd take all of that with a pinch of salt.

I would say it's highly unlikely that whatever amps and cabs he's currently getting for free will have made any significant contribution to the sound of his bass guitar either on record or at gigs since about 1982.

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'd take all of that with a pinch of salt.

I would say it's highly unlikely that whatever amps and cabs he's currently getting for free will have made any significant contribution to the sound of his bass guitar either on record or at gigs since about 1982.

Not sure I would entirely agree with that as everyone has a sound / tone and the band tech etc wouldn’t let them play through any old amp as if it wasn’t important to the band sound.

Also I think Ashdown do not give artists gear for free and this has been mentioned recently when FF were invoiced for their gear. 
I guess we will never know for sure but it’s interesting to think that just maybe those suggested settings were true at some point. Either way I’m happy to believe it’s possible !!

2 minutes ago, BassAdder27 said:

Not sure I would entirely agree with that as everyone has a sound / tone and the band tech etc wouldn’t let them play through any old amp as if it wasn’t important to the band sound.

Also I think Ashdown do not give artists gear for free and this has been mentioned recently when FF were invoiced for their gear. 
I guess we will never know for sure but it’s interesting to think that just maybe those suggested settings were true at some point. Either way I’m happy to believe it’s possible !!

Once you start playing stages of a certain size the backline for the bass guitar becomes completely irrelevant - especially so if you are using IEM.

Your technical rider may specify a mic on a particular speaker in a particular cab, but there'll also be a DI feed direct from the bass guitar itself and probably another from the DI on one of the amps, and in reality you have no way of know exactly which source is the main contribution to the FoH sound.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I suspect that setting up like that adds depth to the sound but without being really noticeable as an effect. Whatever anyone thinks of Adam Clayton or U2 they’re not likely to do anything that has a negative impact on the sound.

Agreed. Both the bass and guitar sounds are crucial to U2. They play soundscapes, for want of a better term, for Bono to sing over. So the tones and effects are crucial. Also, in a three instrument band, what the bassist plays is crucial to keeping the song together.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikel said:

Agreed. Both the bass and guitar sounds are crucial to U2. They play soundscapes, for want of a better term, for Bono to sing over. So the tones and effects are crucial. Also, in a three instrument band, what the bassist plays is crucial to keeping the song together.

Yep absolutely agree with this 

There also loads of live videos of U2 rehearsing pre tour, set up just as a basic 4 piece and Adam is using an Ashdown rig among other various rigs and basses. Example of him using an Ashdown rig and Buzzard bass here.

Edited by Linus27

14 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I suspect that setting up like that adds depth to the sound but without being really noticeable as an effect. Whatever anyone thinks of Adam Clayton or U2 they’re not likely to do anything that has a negative impact on the sound.

Well - not the 3 guys at the back anyway! :D 

17 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Ever noticed how few successful bassists play million notes a second slap? There are many more who have sold millions of records with nothing more than simple, solid lines with solid timing. 

Slappity-noodle-doodle-bappity-blab .... get fired

Root notes and key phrases .... get hired

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leroydiamond said:

Several years ago, I bought a 1965 jazz. It appeared to be all original other that a non original pick guard, together with a body and neck refinish. It came in at a nice price and the seller had no idea of its history, other than the previous owner saying that he was told It used to  belonged to AC. There was no proof that it belonged to AC and I could not have cared less, as I really liked the bass.

I used it for several years and decided to move it on, as I was culling the heard. As it came to me for not alot of money, I decided to sell it at a nice and a well known player and collector had a play loved it and bought it from me.

Some weeks later he asked me did I know anything about the bass and I told him, other than the previous seller mentioning that it belonged to AC, that I knew nothing. We both had a snigger, thinking that it was a sales pitch, as much as anything else.

Some weeks later I got a call from the new owner informing me that he had it on good authority that the bass did belong to AC!.

Not as esoteric on the bass front, but back in the late 80s I ordered a Yamaha BB3000A new via our geetard who worked in a big music shop in Manchester. There was a delay in delivery, because Yamaha UK didn't have any, and Yamaha EU only had two left, a black one and a white one. I wasn't massively bothered about the colour, but the delay was a customer had ordered one before me, and hadn't decided which colour he wanted, so they were holding both till he made up his mind. I was told it was AC (hence the preferential treatment), but kinda took it with a pinch of salt. Eventually it was resolved, and I got the white one. When it turned up the shipping case had 'Clayton U2' written on it...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Muzz said:

Not as esoteric on the bass front, but back in the late 80s I ordered a Yamaha BB3000A new via our geetard who worked in a big music shop in Manchester. There was a delay in delivery, because Yamaha UK didn't have any, and Yamaha EU only had two left, a black one and a white one. I wasn't massively bothered about the colour, but the delay was a customer had ordered one before me, and hadn't decided which colour he wanted, so they were holding both till he made up his mind. I was told it was AC (hence the preferential treatment), but kinda took it with a pinch of salt. Eventually it was resolved, and I got the white one. When it turned up the shipping case had 'Clayton U2' written on it...

That should be Mr Clayton to them!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

That's pretty cool. I like that story. Thanks for sharing a happy moment. 👍:hi:

Dave

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, la bam said:

Great bassist.

Great tone.

Great musicality.

I've seen them when he had his abm rig. They sounded great.

That will be down entirely to the quality of the PA system.

In the days when U2 were still playing gigs small enough for at least some of the audience to be able to hear the actual sound of the bass rig, AC appears to have been mainly using Marshall gear.

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

In the days when U2 were still playing gigs small enough for at least some of the audience to be able to hear the actual sound of the bass rig, AC appears to have been mainly using Marshall gear.

I dont think so. Similar to nate mendel in the foos, you can tell that ashdown tone a mile off. In fairness I was literally at the front of the stage too.

I do like their sound and back catalogue.  Like many of you on BC who play or have played in a basic  Guitar / Bass / Drum setup   There is knowhere to hide and your contribution has to be very relevant to the song. So he gets my vote without having to dissect his every track.

Edited by deepbass5

One of many who i put their records on and learnt the lines to...Great era through the 80s for that 

From JJ burnel to John taylor to Karn to Forbes etc . Enough there to push you on and get better . 

Always had tasty gear 

His early wooly Ibanez sound was a bit odd on the live stuff but still a great live band 

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

😉😂
This is probably true ( to some degree ) but it’s like stating it’s not important to a band sound what gear is used on stage/ or studio at all .., I think you may be on your own with that belief … each to their own hey 😉😂

Edited by BassAdder27

10 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

Personally, i don't rate him. Hes not bad, I just don't think he's  that good.

But then he porbably says the same about me, and the nice thing about the string section is how broad a church it is in terms of abilites, styles and tastes.

Is that because he plays simple parts and nothing fancy or because he could improve the way he plays what he does play?

The Joshua Tree was also my introduction to bass playing as a yoof and thus became a U2 fanatic at the time. I finally got to see them at the old Wembley stadium in '93 which was quite awesome. 

I was told by the seller that these Ashdown cabs were made for AC as part of a backline, whether that's true or not I don't know but plugged into that Ampeg head they sounded huge. I played a good few larger gigs at the time with them. Back then I was much younger and fitter! 

DSCF0146.jpg

• Like 1