Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton - U2

Guest BassAdder27

Been reading about U2 bassist Adam Clayton and his setup using at some point Ashdown ABM amps 

I understand he was running the Sub Harmonic on all the time set low 7:30 ( o’clock )  and drive on set 12:30 - 1 o’clock 

Might just try this next practice 

Someone will be along very soon to tell us that he is not going slappityy-tapitty-300bpmityy-shredityy. But they are probably not in a full time succesful band in the music business who could retire on the proceeds tomorrow. And fund their children for the rest of their lives.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, owen said:

Someone will be along very soon to tell us that he is not going slappityy-tapitty-300bpmityy-shredityy. But they are probably not in a full time succesful band in the music business who could retire on the proceeds tomorrow. And fund their children for the rest of their lives.

Ever noticed how few successful bassists play million notes a second slap? There are many more who have sold millions of records with nothing more than simple, solid lines with solid timing. 

• Like 10

Adam Clayton was one of the reasons I picked up the bass in the first place. The Joshua Tree came out when I was in my early teens and I thought his playing on it was what kept everything together and really brought the whole album alive. 

I'd give my right arm to be as inept, talentless and successful as him :)

• Like 14

They use his name a lot talking about the EQ tuning of the Meters headphones. Maybe he really knows his stuff on frequencies and all sorts of important muso stuff that doesn't involve shredding on the bass? I dunno. I'm no U2 fan but fair play to him. I'm sure they could have booted him out at any moment they wanted if he was truly useless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Always liked what he brought to U2. A perfect fit for them IMO.

My fav song New Years Day. Great bassline and the song that made me sit up and listen to them.

I don't really listen to U2 , so thanks for posting the example.

I took a listen and AC does  great job on that, great bass sound and probably the main hook in the song. Don't see the problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, owen said:

I couldn't care less about slappityy-tapitty-shredityy neither, but might there be better metrics for evaluating musical worth than money?

Btw, I see Craig wotsit from Bros has done very well for himself, too.

16 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I couldn't care less about slappityy-tapitty-shredityy neither, but might there be better metrics for evaluating musical worth than money?

I am sure there are very many other metrics for measuring musical worth. However, if I did not have to be at work for 8.30am tomorrow I would have WAY more time to write music/record/promote my music/etc. So actually earning enough money to do that has to be a pretty significant metric.

Good on Craig as well :)

3 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

Been reading about U2 bassist Adam Clayton and his setup using at some point Ashdown ABM amps 

I understand he was running the Sub Harmonic on all the time set low 7:30 ( o’clock )  and drive on set 12:30 - 1 o’clock 

Might just try this next practice 

I suspect that setting up like that adds depth to the sound but without being really noticeable as an effect. Whatever anyone thinks of Adam Clayton or U2 they’re not likely to do anything that has a negative impact on the sound.

Adam Clayton was also one of the reasons I picked up the bass. I was only 14 and been outside BMXing. It was a mega hot day so I came in to cool down and purely by mistake saw U2's performance on Live Aid. I didn't know the band, the songs or have any desire to play music (I had a huge crush on Madonna at the time) but I saw Adam strutting around stage and I thought, that guys looks so cool, playing guitar (didn't know it was a bass), strutting around stage looking awesome, I want to be that guy. A few years passed and I was hanging out with mates and I then heard the Joshua Tree blasting out of a friends car and it blew me away. At that point I decided to learn to play bass.

Move forward about 10 years and I'd learnt to play bass, learnt every U2 song, been in a few good bands and managed to get a record deal with my current band. We were going to head to Seattle to be have our first album produced by Rick Parasher of Pearl Jam's 'Ten' fame but the guy who ended up producing it was a guy called Mark Wallis who did the It Bites and Travis album's. He's also produced The Smiths, Talking Heads, REM, Wet Wet Wet, Iggy Pop, Japan, The Primitives, Debbie Harry, Joan Armatrading, The LA’s and The Go-Betweens to name a few but it turned out he also mixed and engineered on U2's Joshua Tree.

We had many a long chat about U2 and the things he told me about Adam is that he may not perhaps come up with the most spectacular bass lines but he is one of the most solid, tightest bassists he has ever worked with. He may play a lot of 8 and 16 note bass lines but every single note is consistent and in time. He said not many bass players can play that tight repeatedly and they tend to wander, even if its 1 or 2 or 3 notes in an 8 note sequence but Adam never does, he is so tight. I thought I was good at this until he pointed out I wavered during the recording process. It was quite an eye opener to be honest. He said that Adam just has a fantastic natural internal click and ability to play in time, not something he see's in many other musicians despite other bassists being far more technical.

Edited by Linus27
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I thought his name was Ken …

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Doddy said:

Unless he recently started playing Ashdown again, he switched to Aguilar a few years ago.

Ah yeah - I remember that.

He still has an affiliation with them, was in a lot of the literature for “Meters” headphones.

I suppose once you reach his level, it’s anything and everything - he’s had multiple signature basses for Fender and Warwick - after playing Lakland for years.

A very nice position to be in.

• Like 1