Why become a member? ×

Zoot Performer (made in Japan)

TheGreek

Half tempted to place a bid but TBH it wouldn't get used. This, according to the ad, is one of 60 which Mike had built in Japan. Looks clean enough. Currently £175 but has 6 days to run.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234296431363?hash=item368d27d303:g:4~EAAOSwScxhmPzV

"Hi, The bass looks in great condition. I only had 60 of these basses made, they were made by Nanyo Boeki, the same company who made the "Bass Collection" basses sold by Barry at the Bass centre in Wapping London. They came in master cartons of 30 basses (so two master cartons) The E.Q. was designed by John East of J.retro fame, and was made by John in Oxford. These E.Q.'s were fitted to the basses back in my Essex workshop along with pickups, strings and final setup."

image.thumb.png.fafeb80a87b5753fe1db316d53556c8d.png

image.thumb.png.870abe3d968f5824707b6157e8400d0a.png

• Like 3

Bit more information as I've decided not to go for it.

I contacted the seller to ask why it wasn't strung and apparently he had it delivered "neck off" a year ago and he just screwed the neck back on and it's been left like that for 12 months.

This set alarm bells ringing, so I contacted Mike Walsh, Zoot Bass, as I know him quite well and his view is that left for 12 months without strings and the fact it doesn't have a duel action truss rod, the neck could have warped. He personally wouldn't touch it and reckons that's why it's so cheap.