Why become a member? ×

OH HOLD: Alembic Spyder 4 Limited Edition - *SOLD*
£9750
Wickford, Essex, England.

hiram.k.hackenbacker

This bass was completed on 5th June 2008 and is one of limited run of 50 in a 4 string configuration, one of which is held in the Alembic Archives in Santa Rosa.

Point of interest:

Alembic suffered a slight administrative error and 'accidentally' produced two Spyder 4 basses bearing identical series numbers.

The serial numbers are different though and both instruments are separated by the Atlantic.

This bass is not either of the two in question.

I'm not fully up to date with this bit of info, but as of about 7 years ago, there were only six Spyder 4's left available for commission. It may well be less than six now, but at least one must still be available as the Spyder Ltd Ed model is still featured on their price list as of August 2021. The current list price (which does not include VAT or import charges) is $24,900.

This bass is in excellent condition and comes complete with its OHSC, certificate and tool pack. The case is really large and quite heavy - it's more like a guitar safe than a case. For this reason, combined with the rarity of the bass itself, I wouldn't be comfortable shipping it. I would however consider delivering it personally to any prospective buyer for fuel costs. This clearly means that this a UK sale unless someone wants to travel to the UK to collect it.

The specification for this bass is:

Spyder 4 Limited Edition 1 of 50 (technically 1 of 51 as detailed above)

Top Wood: Flame Maple

Back Wood: Flame Maple

Body Wood: Walnut

Neck Wood: Maple with Purpleheart Stringers

Fingerboard: Ebony

Inlays: Mother of Pearl Ovals

Body Finish: Clear Gloss

Neck Finish: Satin

Electronics: Anniversary Electronics with pick-up selector on lower horn

Machine Heads: Gold

Custom Features: Red side LED's, Elongated Peg-Head and Sterling Silver spider web inlays on body

Weight: 12.4lbs

Nut Width: 45.4mm

The bass takes 4 x PP9's to power the active circuitry and the LED's.

The strings that are on it are almost new (there is a spare used set of XL strings in the case).

The neck relief is set ridiculously low and it takes it very well indeed.

For anyone not used to Alembics, the control system takes a bit of getting used to, but I'll include a photo of what the knobs and switches do to make it a bit clearer.

14123E95-CCD6-459D-8EAB-28A2AF5F648B.jpeg

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Like 12

The thing that strikes me is the quality of materials, (that maple!!!) - they obviously spare no expense making these.

Obviously - @hiram.k.hackenbacker is an absolute stand up bloke, and if I were in a position to buy, I’d have no hesitation.

Only mildly baffled as to why, once you’ve reached this pinnacle…you’d sell.

But, I’ve got an inkling as to why that may be.

It’s beautiful mate - totally out of my “type” but I think they’re ace.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

The thing that strikes me is the quality of materials, (that maple!!!) - they obviously spare no expense making these.

Obviously - @hiram.k.hackenbacker is an absolute stand up bloke, and if I were in a position to buy, I’d have no hesitation.

Only mildly baffled as to why, once you’ve reached this pinnacle…you’d sell.

But, I’ve got an inkling as to why that may be.

It’s beautiful mate - totally out of my “type” but I think they’re ace.

Kind words thank you @AndyTravisand you do have an insight into my motive for selling - nothing to do with this bass folks as it’s a superb instrument.

I do have my eye on something else which, if it becomes suddenly unavailable (read ‘sold to someone else’), then this will be coming off the market.

• Like 1

Outrageously lovely - the Anniversary electronics package is superb too.  Really versatile and quite close to the S1 electronics.  Alembic really does source some of the world's finest timbers.  Attention to detail is extraordinary too.  Whoever is sufficiently fortunate to have the cash to buy this beauty, probably a good idea to find a few hundred quid to have the brass hardware plated in gold - a lot of saved time in brass polishing.  Just a stunning bass in every respect.  

• Like 2

On 21/11/2021 at 21:22, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Kind words thank you @AndyTravisand you do have an insight into my motive for selling - nothing to do with this bass folks as it’s a superb instrument.

I do have my eye on something else which, if it becomes suddenly unavailable (read ‘sold to someone else’), then this will be coming off the market.

I'm honestly curious at to what that something else might be Hiram because that is absolutely fabulous. Not my thing as basses go but incredible nevertheless!

ben