Why become a member? ×

Fret buzz at 1-3

uk_lefty

I've got fret buzz at frets 1-3 on each string. It's a Fender neck, easy to get to the rod adjuster. I've just put lighter strings on.... I've tried adjusting the neck (left handed bass, stood it on the floor front facing away from me, Allen key in and tried to twist to my right, towards the G string.... Very hard to get a very small amount of movement) but no luck.

I'm not keen on trying to force the rod. Any advice gratefully received.

First thing to check is the nut isn’t cut or worn out too low allowing the first frets to foul each string. Second, you’re going the wrong way with the rod nut. Turning towards the G is tightening it making the neck flatter. (Righty tighty, lefty loosy).

Check out one of a few hundred vids on YouTube about nut height, neck relief and string height and go from there.

• Thanks 1

I agree with the above. When I fitted lighter gauge, lower tension strings I had buzz across the strings at the first couple of frets and loosening the truss rod cured this. It’s less worrying loosening a truss rod rather than the other way around. 

2 hours ago, Acebassmusic said:

Fret buzz on the first few frets usually indicates the nut is cut too low IME. Have you checked it?

While I've not checked it I think it unlikely. It's a bitsa bass that I had a Luthier finish off and set up in full for me early in the year. Likely to just be the neck..... I hope.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LITTLEWING said:

Second, you’re going the wrong way with the rod nut. Turning towards the G is tightening it making the neck flatter. (Righty tighty, lefty loosy).

Thanks! I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I find the online videos frustrating. They never seem to show in enough detail or they make things look ridiculously easy or are edited to miss the action. They also never seem to cover things that could go wrong. I need to get time in with someone patient who will show me, hands on, with my basses. It could save me a fortune in basic setups. I don't think I'll ever have the confidence for fret levelling though!

15 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Probably overbow given the lighter strings - 

just release truss rod 

Thicker strings are harder to pull so the truss rod needs to exert more force to resist them. Thinner strings are being pulled against the fret board as the truss rod is resisting more than needed. You therefore need to reduce tension on the truss rod 

I imagine it as a tug of war where a team member leaves on one side - with him the two sides are evenly matched 

Edited by Geek99
  • Thanks 1