Why become a member? ×

Any hope of saving a dead pickup?

Mokl

Really annoyed! The neck pickup on my De Gier Bebop is an Aguilar 70s Jazz. I bought the bass used,  and the pickup was actually dead on arrival.  Cue disappointment and to and fro with the retailer.  I was keen to hold onto the bass as I loved everything about it,  had the control cavity off, poked about a bit and for some reason it same to life - happy days! 

3 months later,  at band rehearsal last night,  it suddenly decides to give up again, having been faultless since the 'fix'.

I've run a soldering iron over some of the connections, including the pickup terminals in the hope it's a dry joint.  I have had the pickup out completely,  put the wires into the relevant portions of a Jack plugged into my amp and tapped the poles with a screw driver (not very scientific,  but ime you can determine if the pickup is working this way.. ). So it seems the pickup is dead. 

When I have more time over the next few days I'll try connecting the working  bridge unit to the neck pot to double check, but I don't have much hope. 

I have no recourse as the bass was second hand but am not really in a position to shell out for an AG70s set :( Anybody have any advice/ experience they can share?! 

I had a similar issue with an Aria Pro II bass. I found a break in the wire on the actual pickup - thankfully it was on the outside of the windings. I simply unwound the broken wire enough to connect it to the terminal, carefully shaved off the enamel coating and soldered it to the terminal. Worked perfectly after that.

Obvious won't help you if your pickup is potted or you can't see a break in the windings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anybody interested, or may stumble across this post in the future,  I sent the pickup to Armstrong Pickups for repair. Was returned in just over 1 week working perfectly.  The repair cost was extremely reasonable too - highly recommended! 

Edited by Mokl
  • Like 9