Why become a member? ×

Brand Fans

Thunderbird

I always used to think that Fenders were pretty boring basses and was never a fan but for some reason I now have 2 full fat Fenders and a Squier bought them as they just suited me and loved playing them so am I now a fanboy lol anyway which brands really do it for you guys? and do you not try other brands because you are so loyal to the brand you like?

Yep, am a Fender & Ashdown fanboi. Any bass other than a Fender (and mainly a Precision) in my hands just sounds “wrong” to me, though invariably I’ll like them when others play them. Similar with Ashdown, although I can pretty much get the sound I want from any amp there’s just something about the warmth and depth to the Ashdown sound.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yep, am a Fender & Ashdown fanboi. Any bass other than a Fender (and mainly a Precision) in my hands just sounds “wrong” to me, though invariably I’ll like them when others play them. Similar with Ashdown, although I can pretty much get the sound I want from any amp there’s just something about the warmth and depth to the Ashdown sound.

I'm running through an ashdown also but I'm undecided whether I prefer that or my hartke or if I want to try something different altogether but I am suffering from amp gas lol

I've only got one, but Sandberg I think. They just fit my hands so well.

Tech21 kit as well. Just amazing stuff.

Markbass amps - despite my complaints about the regular model EQ points I really like them. I sold mine a little while ago and I'm regretting it. Next year I'll have to have a look at the new Andrew Gouche head. That looks fantastic to me. Can't wait to try it.

• Like 1

I've made a conscious effort to avoid Fender - mainly due to the build quality and quality control of the stuff they were churning out when I first started playing in the early/mid 80s. Doesn't mean that I haven't become a fanboi though - big fan of Trace Elliot who at the same time were building world beating amps that were top of most bassists' shopping lists. 

Bass wise I'm finding that most modern basses are such high quality compared to vintage basses that I fall in love with nearly everything I try - G&L, Spector, Lakland, Yamaha - add your own modern favourite.

• Like 2

Ibanez and the SR... evolution not reveloution.

That super comfy worn pebble shape body... and that great SR neck... subtle headstock shape... totaly boring but i'd say near perfect.

If only they had a std passive P or PJ in the SR range like in the GIO's.

Think @donslow sorted a SR300 filled and re-routed to convert to a PJ some time back... just the ticket.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 2

I'm at a point where I feel like I need to try lots of different gear to understand what works for me. 

I had a Fender Jazz MIM but didn't like it. I have a feeling it was just a bad one.

I do seem to have settled on Orange amps but partly because I can't afford an Ampeg SVT Classic. 

• Like 1

Musicman  - had a fair few Stingrays and Sterling’s as well as a couple of Subs. All USA models and all brilliant - well made, played great and with superb tone controls. I’ve just sold what is probably my last one though, can’t find one light enough for my ageing shoulder I’m afraid. Had a couple of great MM guitar amps too, top notch stuff from a great company.

Fender - nothing really to add, other than for me they’ve made the definitive electric basses for nigh on 70 years. Still got my 63 Precision, but these days I mainly use a Japanese Precision Lyte. This bass has enabled me to keep playing long gigs into my 60’s without problems to my shoulder and back, and for that I’ll always be grateful.

Gallien Krueger - Used many of their amps over the years, and still got my 800RB which (after my old SVT rig) is my favourite bass amp. Also currently have a 1001RB and an MB800. Never had any problems with their stuff, and can’t see me changing anytime soon. 

Barefaced - Had a Compact cab for years, and like my P Lyte it has enabled me to play gigs with much less hassle than when I had heavier bulkier brands. Love the fact they’re a UK company, and will be looking at maybe getting another of their cabs when funds allow. 

Oh yeh, honourable mentions also to Yamaha, Tech 21 and D’Addario.

Edited by casapete
Memory.
  • Like 3

I'm Leduc addicted and also endorser (Christophe is certainly still asking himself why... 🤣 ), but I've tried almost everything on the market and have always come back to my faithful Leduc basses.

That said my Le Fay Remington Steele 6 RHT CC CAP Big Block (what a name 🤣 ) is also amazing.

And I love AER amps, currently owning a BassCube and a Basic Performer, both of the first generation.

• Like 2

Sei and Warwick (three Seis, four Warwicks). And Antoniotsai (five basses) but he's not doing the stuff he used to.

Barefaced to a degree but I don't need cabs at the moment. BB2 now sold, still have a One10 in the rehearsal room.

Zoom - MS-50G, SM-60B, MS-70CDR, B3, B3n.

Line 6 - Variax 300, JTV-59, Variax 700 acoustic, Variax 705 bass, G50 wireless.

• Like 2

Must admit, I am a bit of a fan of the Ric 4001/4003 basses. Always wanted one, but it took me over 20 odd years, and many different basses before I got one. Unfortunately, I had to sell it because I needed the money at the time. Bought myself another Fender Jazz but it just didn't cut it after the Ric (had an MIM Jazz before I got the Ric). Sold it & bought a Rockinbetter, then another, then another. Two have gone now, and the remaining one is being used by my son. Thankfully, I managed to get a couple of replacements for the Rockinbetter's, thankfully 4003's.

Been a big fan of Line6 stuff since the POD v2, and really impressed with the new POD Go.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

A little tale that's been told here before if I may. 

I started with a plywood SG copy which was soon replaced by my first 'real' bass, a Yamaha Attitude Special in seafoam green and the SG got a ceremonial cremation. 

A few years later the Attitude got traded in for a brand spanking Yamaha BBG5S, which was my sole bass for over a decade. 

After a couple of years break I went back to fours with a Yamaha RBX374. 

I then discovered Basschat and replaced the RBX with thirty or so other basses (🙄😄), but every time I play a Yamaha it feels like 'coming home'. 

My two latest purchases have been a BB424X and a BBPH, to join the BEX4 I've had for several years.

I've got lots of other nice (to me) basses, but if I had to I could quite happily only ever play Yamaha basses for the rest of my days. 

Whatever price point Yamaha you buy, you always get far more than your moneys worth. 

• Like 2

I straight out fanboy for Sire, I own 2 and have played 2 others...all rock solid for the prices.

I've owned one Harley Benton and it was pretty good, I'm enough of a fan to be considering one of their enhanced MP basses...at the price it's not even much of a gamble.

As an unjustified fan it's Sandberg, never touched one but the ones I've seen and heard they're really nice. I'm considering dropping almost £2-3k on a custom one next year which may or may not be my smartest move.

• Like 1

I am a fan of Washburn basses. I have owned a few over the years. I started my love affair with a brand new B-200 in 1993, owned more basses of various types and brands than I care to remember in between, and have recently come full circle and got hold of another B-200 earlier this year. I will always be a fan of Gibson basses also, but alas only from afar currently.  

• Like 2

The outstanding one for me is Trace amps. I’ve tried pretty much everything else, but I always go back to my trusty old TE heads and particularly the AH250 SMX.

Basses it would probably be Musicman.  I love Fender, Status and Aria, but I’ve had lots of Musicman basses. I’ve never had a bad one and I’ve not been without one in the stable over the past 10 years.

EDIT - Oops forgot cabs. Barefaced. I’m a big fan of both the 12”s and 10”s. For power, weight and size, pound for pound they’re the best I’ve tried by a long way.

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 1

I'm a bit of a PJB cab fanboi. The small drivers mean you need a few of them to make any serious amount of noise, but since I switched to them, nothing else sounds quite right to me. The clarity, focus and lack of zing and clang (can't stand tweeters for bass) set them apart. Not so keen on PJB amps, however. Powerful and clean, but too hi-fi sounding for me when used with their cabs.

• Like 1

I'm going to go seemingly go against the grain here and say that I try to avoid any form of fanboy-ism. I guess I have a preference for Warwick basses but am very keen to avoid going overboard with adulation of any brand. See the Ernie Ball forum for examples of when fanboy-ism goes wrong.

• Like 2