Why become a member? ×

Greco Device PJ Bass 1987. Made in Japan. Medium scale. Any good?

BELA

I am looking for an affordable lefty medium scale bass and I have not got a lot of options, to be honest.

A couple of days ago I asked here about the Fernandes FRB but did not get any answers.

I have also found a very good condition 1987 Greco Device PJ wich is also medium scale but I do not know anything about the model or brand.

Can anybody help me?

Is it a good brand and model?

Thanks

Greco_Device_bass.webp

Edited by BELA

Both Greco & Fernandes are long-established and well-respected Japanese brands with a reputation for high quality.

You don't say where you're posting from but I'd guess it's not the UK - Greco and Fernandes are both brands mostly sold on the Japanese domestic market, particularly with 80s era instruments like the ones you're asking about, and that means it's quite unlikely BC members will have had any direct experience of the two basses you're looking at. Old Japanese basses are very much my 'thing' but sadly I don't know anything about the ones you're interested in.

However if they're well-priced, in good condition and fit your needs, then given both brands' reputations, either one will likely be a good purchase.

There's a very comprehensive Fernandes catalogue archive here, where you'll probably be able to find some info about the FRB, and a collection of Greco catalogues here, which cover the mid/late 80s period. The text will be in Japanese but electronics/hardware specs and dimensions should be clear if you can't read kanji.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1