Why become a member? ×

G&L - but which one

BassApprentice

Did a bit of a shootout in the local guitar shops today. 

G&L Tribute SB-2 vs Squier CV 50s vs Sterling Stingray vs Sadowsky Metro Express vs Reverend Sentinel 

The G&L was by far my favourite, neck just felt right and even the different controls weren't too unfamiliar. I've previously had an L2000 and I do miss it but it was a bit fiddly, and I'm finding my current Sire the same. I want something more straightforward, should I look at the LB100? Or even a used L1000? 

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

What about the Kiloton?

Passive but potent.

wjbzmkfy2gfrxc9eboui.jpg

Just look at the finish on that... yum 😋 

Owned a US LB100, was a beautifully made instrument. 

Would love to try a L1000 someday but I too dislike too many switches etc. 

G&L are totally underrated instruments which is a shame. How can they achieve that 'cool' factor?

• Like 1

I have a made in USA SB2 and its great once you get used to the 2 vol knobs.

I am a P Bass user and I bought a tribute  LB 100 and its great, it plays well, the pick up is really punchy. 

It is on a stand in my little music room and it usually the first thing I pick up if I want to play something.

Mines a natural and the fit and finish is top notch

1 hour ago, EJWW said:

G&L are totally underrated instruments which is a shame. How can they achieve that 'cool' factor?

More metal-flake basses!

(By the way, I set it and forget it!)

FB_IMG_1620428872679.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 3

The tributes are great, you get so much bass for the dosh.

They've released a few new colours too, there's more on the G&L site, but here's my favourites.....

image.thumb.png.b041fe6e3241ac3e95a854f206a2e675.png

image.thumb.png.529dfa1b89130baa8772f8100610ec1c.png

I haven't seen them in stock anywhere though 😔

If it were me, I'd go for the SB2. It's got a slimmer neck than the LB100, a bit more versatility with the PJ setup and the MFD pups. What's not to love?!?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EJWW said:

Is one switch too many? I ask because that's how many the L-1000 has. Did you mean 2000?

G&L are only underrated by poor unfortunates who don't know any better, bless 'em. I for one quite like that they fly under the radar a bit - adds to the mystique ;)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Just get the SB2.

37 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Why?  It's a different bass.

It is?

On 17/11/2021 at 15:04, BassApprentice said:

G&L Tribute SB-2 vs Squier CV 50s vs Sterling Stingray vs Sadowsky Metro Express vs Reverend Sentinel 

The G&L was by far my favourite, neck just felt right and even the different controls weren't too unfamiliar. I've previously had an L2000 and I do miss it but it was a bit fiddly, and I'm finding my current Sire the same. I want something more straightforward, should I look at the LB100? Or even a used L1000? 

46 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Why?  It's a different bass.

On 17/11/2021 at 15:04, BassApprentice said:

Because @BassApprenticesaid that the SB-2 was the best of the basses that were trialled. Then asks which one to get. Seems obvious. Get the SB-2.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

It is?

Yes (SB-2 vs. LB-100)

Different pickups (MFD vs. trad alnico)

Different number of pickups (2 vs. 1)

Different controls (VV vs. VT)

Different necks (slimmer vs. wider nut)

Different body shape

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

17 minutes ago, Skybone said:

Because @BassApprenticesaid that the SB-2 was the best of the basses that were trialled. Then asks which one to get. Seems obvious. Get the SB-2.

Ahh, sorry, I read your comment in isolation so it came across like the SB-2 was interchangeable with the LB-100. 

Must. Read. Everything.

6 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Just had a look and Andertons have the new Kiloton's in stock if you wanted to check them out. They also have this B Stock SB2 for chirpy cheap

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-guitars/b-stock-%3A-g-l-tribute-sb-2-bass-in-sonic-blue-3-ply-white-guard-scratches-on-bridge-was-112377

I looked....

You're going to be either the most or least popular member on this forum based on whether or not members have a spare £350. As mentioned, many times, a lot of bass for the bucks.

I'd like to add that I've got nothing against the SB-2, I owned a Tribute SB-2 and got on with it fine. One of my favourite stories (I'm sure I've mentioned it before) was one time when soundchecking with the SB-2 for a gig, the signal was so hot the sound engineer asked me if the bass was active :D

49 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

I looked....

You're going to be either the most or least popular member on this forum based on whether or not members have a spare £350. As mentioned, many times, a lot of bass for the bucks.

If it were the black version I'd be very tempted and probably wouldn't have shared the link 😉